The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Jake H's 1G Rear Wheel Drive Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like a great project. I'm doing a RWD 4G63 project myself. I'm using one of Bill's (bastarddsm) R154 bellhousings. It's a beautiful unit and very beefy. Some reports on here listed the R154 as holding 400ft/lbs, and that may be a factory rating. I know of a some guys putting over 600ft/lbs through stock units. I'm sure it has a lot to due with launching the car as well.

As we all know, the DSM transmission can make some impressive passes in stock form. However, it has also been known to break at moderate power levels. I'm sure it has to do a lot with how people drive them. I will feel confident in running 300whp daily through this transmission.

On the other hand, you might hold off on your transmission choice. Bill is also working on a new adapter for GM auto transmissions. (Turbo 350, 400 etc.) It uses a generic GM flywheel and starter which are all cheap parts. The GM transmission can also be had cheap and made to handle good power. Since this seems to be a drag car, an auto tranny would be a more ideal choice. You have a lot of work to do before you get to that area, but keep your options open.

If you get an itch to run a sequential box, you can always switch to a wide block 4G63 and use the racing R transmission from the FD RX7. I think OS Gilken makes one and HKS is sure to have one too. (all at a price) All you need is the bellhousing from a Mazda B2600 to make the 2 fit. :cool:

PICT0002-1.jpg

Sneak peek. R154 mated to a 2G 4G63.

I am all about helping out fellow dsmers. If there is something that I am putting together that is close (or the same) as something that anyone needs... Just shoot me an email and let me know.

As far as specs go... I am not hidding anything. :D

AWESOME POST ABOVE!!!!

Thanks a ton! I used to own an 87 MKIII supra, and thought that all the torque specs being metioned were low. I was more just keeping to myself, but I have a lot of faith in the R series transmissions. Many people need to factor in the idea of gearing changing the strain on a system. I plan on using either the 4.10:1 or the 4.30:1 gearing toyota offers for there stock rear ends. Its all about applied leverage and inertia if you ask me. This is why weight is such a huge factor.

Anyways, Thanks for the input and the RX7 trans info too.

:dsm:Jake Hanhardt:dsm:

I also got a chance to work on the intake manifold today... The pictures are of the base plate that the tubes and plenum will later be welding to. This piece was cut from 1/2" 6061 and not only has the velocity stacks incorperated into it... But, it also has a small lip on the outer edge and bottoms of the holes to provide a really nice lap joint. Enjoy!

060608_Intake_4_.JPG

060608_Intake_1_.JPG

060608_Intake_13_.JPG

060608_Intake_8_.JPG

060608_Intake_18_.JPG

060608_Intake_14_.JPG

Well... I got some more work done on the intake manifold today. I was working on making a receiver grove in the velocity stack plate I made the other day. I ended up putting a groove in the plate first, and then another in the tubes. So the two will fit together seamlessly. IT WORKED!!!! Check out the picture of the velocity stack because the tube is fit to it from the inside. Also, I started constructing the plenum. :thumb:

060908_Intake_9_.JPG

060908_Intake_7_.JPG

060908_Intake_3_.JPG

060908_Intake_11_.JPG

So what's the area of the plenum going to be?

I haven't done the volume measurements on this one. I wont go into all of the details, but I don't really get too worried about plenum volume. There is a lot of intake design theory out there, and most of it is based from all motor applications. You have alway got to remember that all motor characteristics are based off of 1bar (0psi). With every bar that you add, it changes the way a manifold will "flow" so much... That a lot of that stuff goes out the window. Many people don't agree with me about this, but at 45+ psi it is a lot more obvious that you are tuning in the turbo, not the engine. Also, the last manifold I had was slightly smaller, and it still boasted 1000hp. :D

just a word of advice, circles don't fit in rectangles. :p j/k this is a killer job you're doing, I can't wait to see more pics of the progression :rocks:

You know.... That seemed kinda weird to me too! Thats probably the same reason the square peg never went in the round hole when I was little. :p ROFL LOL

Quick and simple... I wanted to get my slicks up off the ground so I dont scratch up the rims or side walls. Also, I didnt want to keep tripping over them. So... Here is the garage mod I did last night.

It is just some 1/2" conduit that I squished the ends on, bent to lay flat against the wall, and drilled holes in. The other side is just slightly smushed the ends so it welded to the long, straight piece better.

This is only about $3 worth of material and 30min worth of fab time. The materials are 1/2" conduit, flat black spray paint, some #3 2" SS screws, and a small amount of welding.

Tire_Rack_1_.JPG

Tire_Rack_5_.JPG

Tire_Rack_2_.JPG

Tire_Rack_8_.JPG

NICE RACK :p

But seriously, that looks nice. I've been thinking about how 'I could get some spare tires of the floor recently. Gonna have to fire up the welder.

Quick and simple... I wanted to get my slicks up off the ground so I dont scratch up the rims or side walls. Also, I didnt want to keep tripping over them. So... Here is the garage mod I did last night.

It is just some 1/2" conduit that I squished the ends on, bent to lay flat against the wall, and drilled holes in. The other side is just slightly smushed the ends so it welded to the long, straight piece better.

This is only about $3 worth of material and 30min worth of fab time. The materials are 1/2" conduit, flat black spray paint, some #3 2" SS screws, and a small amount of welding.

Tire_Rack_1_.JPG

Tire_Rack_5_.JPG

Tire_Rack_2_.JPG

Tire_Rack_8_.JPG

^I was wondering the same thing. How are you planning to smoothly accomplish the transition from circle to rectangle with an accurate shape at the port side? :confused:

I've been thinking of trying my hand at fabbing an intake mani for awhile. Your pics are really inspiring me to try it... alas, I don't have access to all the tools you are using so I would have to be a bit more creative. :sneaky:

You guys are funny! :D

The idea with the intake manifold is very simple. All you are doing is using a vice, forming die, splaying machine or something to that nature. Then you squish the end untill you are happy with the shape. In one of the above pics I posted... You can see one of the tubes has already been formed to the rough shape I need for the head port. That was done with a bench vise.

I hope the guys at Road Race engineering (Road///Race Engineering Mitsubishi Eclipse Parts and Performance) dont mind me refferencing a few pics of theres.

This one is of a Magnus street manifold. Notice the flange side is the rectangular shape, but down the runner, near the plenum, is the round.

runners.jpg

This one you can see the transision really well from the side.

sideview.jpg

And of course... A picture from the top to show the transision from the other side.

magnus_intake_manifold.jpg

So basically, I am not trying to do anything out of the ordinary. Just going from what my (and others) experience has proven works. :thumb:

:dsm:Jake Hanhardt

You guys are funny! :D

The idea with the intake manifold is very simple. All you are doing is using a vice, forming die, splaying machine or something to that nature. Then you squish the end untill you are happy with the shape. In one of the above pics I posted... You can see one of the tubes has already been formed to the rough shape I need for the head port. That was done with a bench vise.

I hope the guys at Road Race engineering (Road///Race Engineering Mitsubishi Eclipse Parts and Performance) dont mind me refferencing a few pics of theres.

This one is of a Magnus street manifold. Notice the flange side is the rectangular shape, but down the runner, near the plenum, is the round.

runners.jpg

This one you can see the transision really well from the side.

sideview.jpg

And of course... A picture from the top to show the transision from the other side.

magnus_intake_manifold.jpg

So basically, I am not trying to do anything out of the ordinary. Just going from what my (and others) experience has proven works. :thumb:

:dsm:Jake Hanhardt

I wasn't being funny just sarcastic!....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/273139-build-your-own-intake-manifold.html

I would be interested in adding your design ideas to that thread. I'm interested in your plenum volume specifically.

Did I tell you, your my new best friend? LOL

Very nice work!

I was saying "you guys are funny" to this one, and the "NICE RACK" comment. Not you... Sorry, should have quoted. :thumb:

I wasn't being funny just sarcastic!....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/273139-build-your-own-intake-manifold.html

I would be interested in adding your design ideas to that thread. I'm interested in your plenum volume specifically.

I quickly went through the intake manifold build thread you have, and thats crazy how you and I came up with a lot of the same ideas, completely seperately.

The top of this design is just a 4"x18.125"x.125" wall 6061 extruded aluminum. Then its cut in half. The throttle body side has 3" tall side plates, that tapper to 2"at the end of the plenum. The base plate is 4" wide.

The ITB intake manifold I used to have was basically the same thing but with 2" tall side, going to 1". It had the same "half tube" top piece. This is the manifold I was making 800+ whp with.

BUT!!!..... I was out in the shop last night and I might be scrapping that design. I bent up a plenum a few weeks ago that I didnt like at first. Now that I can see it with the base plate and the runners attached... It looks much better then the current design that I have pictures posted of. I will get a "prototype" picture today.

This is the plenum design I was originally working on, before the square one with the round top. I got finished bending this one and disliked it. Now... I am giving it a second look and liking it more. This one is just a prototype. The finished product will have the same design, but stand slightly taller. I am just changing 2 of the bends from 45degs to 30, and one of the bends to a 60deg. This is going to stretch it up a hair.

I would like to know everyones opinions on what they like or dont like about each.

061208_RWD_Intake_4_.JPG

061208_RWD_Intake_10_.JPG

061208_RWD_Intake_5_.JPG

061208_RWD_Intake_6_.JPG

Hi jake. Its been along time. By the way, if didnt tell you before, thank you for all of your help with my last project. Speaking of projects. I am starting another project. Another 2g. I am going to make sure that this project gets the AWD conversion. I am trying to get to same level or alittle furthur. I am hoping to get your assistance again.
I am happy to see that you are getting back into the swing of things. The work that you are doing looks really good. I dont remember if you mentioned it before, but you selling of the items that you making. Or, are they just one off items? If you are selling them, I am interested in seeing using your product. Especially, the twin scroll manifold. I love they way they look. The welds look perfect. And the design looks flawless.The intake manifold is coming along nicely. I would love to do some dyno comparison using my Venom/DNP combo, against jhracing intake and exhaust manifold. If you dont mind, I will post the dyno results.
If you are interested in doing a couple of things for me. I am in doing a dual fuel rails and I need a fuel cell. Can you help me out?

Anyway, Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back