The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Jake H's 1G Rear Wheel Drive Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topstreet

DSM Wiseman
Oct 10, 2005
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Hello Fellow DSMer's!

I have been planning and designing a new setup since before I pulled my old one apart. I am going to be putting this new setup together over the next year or so. Everything is being created with a few simple goals.

COST: This setup needs to be pulled off on a budget for several reasons. One being; when something on a setup needs to be changed, serviced or replaced... It sucks when it cost you a ton of money.

RELIABILITY: With my old setup, I never intended the car to be a track car. I have always said "it would be cheaper and easier to build a car that doesnt need to go down the road and be just as badass". Also, I plan to drive the car daily when the weather allows.

PERFORMANCE: Having tons of power to play with is fun, but being able to master the engine and the drivetrain in such a way that you can use it... That is killer! I have always loved the "road warrior" setup. Drive fun, Drive hard, Drive far...

As many of you know, you usually only get to pick 2 of these 3. I have started this thread to show that old fashion hard work, and new age technology can make one killer car.. And surpass that idea.

This is mearly a documentry of the rwd setup as it is going together. I am posting it in the most broad of the tech forums because I will be hand fabricating everything from front bumper supports, to rear parachute mounts and suspension... AND EVERYTHING IN-BETWEEN!! Its all for your viewing pleasure. More info on the car and what I do can be found on our web page. WWW.JHRACING.NET

Thanks!!!

:dsm:Jake Hanhardt:dsm:

Here are some pics of the 4-link cross member being mocked up.

RWD_050608_23_.jpg

RWD_050608_9_.jpg

RWD_050608_8_.jpg

RWD_050608_15_.jpg

RWD_050608_13_.jpg

RWD_050608_26_.jpg

RWD_050608_37_.jpg

RWD_050608_36_.jpg

RWD_050608_27_.jpg

:rocks::rocks::rocks::rocks:

Can you do my car next? :p btw, a nice trick it to wrap your camera in painters tape. This way you don't fudge your camera with all the dirt and crap while in the middle of snapping pictures :)

:rocks::rocks::rocks::rocks:

Can you do my car next? :p btw, a nice trick it to wrap your camera in painters tape. This way you don't fudge your camera with all the dirt and crap while in the middle of snapping pictures :)

Thats a pretty cool way to keep your nice camera from becoming a paper weight. I am going to have to do that from now on. Thanks on the tip!

BTW: The link brackets and prebent tube comes from CHASSIS ENGINEERING

They have the item in-stock and shipped it right away. I have only dealt with these guys this once (SO FAR) but I am completely satisfied with their service. Also, they were the only guys I found with 5 holed mounts. THANK GUYS!

Now the soild bushings that will mount in the stock sub-frame mounting studs. This design not only makes install easy, but it is the strongest mounting point on the unibody. Its really simple...
-(4) washers
-(2) 2" x .250" wall x 2.875" DOM
-(2) 1" x .120" wall x 2.875" 304 Stainless Steel

Heres the fabing of the mounts.

RWD_050608_22_.jpg

RWD_050608_19_.jpg

RWD_050608_10_.jpg

RWD_050608_44_.jpg

RWD_050608_40_.jpg

RWD_050608_45_.jpg

RWD_050608_56_.jpg

RWD_050608_55_.jpg

RWD_050608_53_.jpg

This is what I will be working on the next few days. I have to torch some of the brackety off, and weld some of the new stuff on. But either way... HERE IS SOME OF THE PREP WORK!

RWD_050608.jpg

RWD_050608_1_.jpg

RWD_050608_2_.jpg

Untill Next Time....

I'd love to see this in person, and you're not too far. :D
Keep up the good work.

:thumb: A quote from "anger managment" . "There's a dirty boy"

Nice setup :thumb:
GL with the build! :rocks:

Doug

Awesome. I thought of doing it that exact way with the mounting using those 2 bolt holes. I realized how easy it would be after I built a cart to roll the car around on that used those 2 holes. I am very excited to see how this turns out for you. I assume that you are going with an auto transmission for this?

Thanks Guys!

For the few of you that are close enough to me to meet up... I would love to once the setup comes further and we can all go for a cruise.:thumb:

BTW: This whole thread is going to be pics and then me explaining the pics, if need be.

The two mounting studs on the chassis made sense to me. Its one of the strongest points on the unibody, using factory brackets it allows me to mount them in double sheer, and using the 5 hole ladder bar mount as a 4 link mount it lets me extend the weight pivot point out further on the car. It may be kinda short for an actual ladder bar, but I have talked to too many people that say those bind up on the street. They can even rip the frame mounts off from what I was told.

As far as a trans goes... I am not putting an auto in the car. Instead, I want to keep it more "stockish" then that, so I am either going to use a might max or a R154 supra 5spd with a custom bellhousing.

Wow read this whole thread and didnt even relieze how close you live to me. I actually work in pewaukee. That cars going to be amazing when its done, keep us updated. Whens your goal date to have it done?

Wow read this whole thread and didnt even relieze how close you live to me. I actually work in pewaukee. That cars going to be amazing when its done, keep us updated. Whens your goal date to have it done?

Thanks! I am planning on having the car done basically... When its done. The order of things is going to be as follows:

-Setting up the rear axle (mounts and brackets, brakes, links)
-Setting up the trans (mounting the tranny, modifing the floor pan, ect)
-Building a front sub-frame (this needs to hold the engine and the front control arms)
-Lower radiator support

Then a bunch of misc stuff along the way.

-Intake manifold
-Exhaust manifold
-Radiator
-head work
-engine assembly
-fuel pump
-fuel cell
-rear diff locker
-fuel lines
-exhaust
ect.........

There is a big twist to this whole setup that I will explain when I get there. :D

Paul V- I got the pics and I see your sig pic. It looks really cool! You dont have a turbo on it yet do you?...

I really like the two rwd dsms you guys have brought up. I am looking for a near daily driver compared to those though. So... I would rather notch the hood for the turbo then to run a huge trans tunnel or place the trans so low it would scrap on bumps and stuff.

Just to let everyone know the direction I want to take this. I am going to run a LSD instead of a spool. A set of stiff sidewall street tires, not slicks (except at the track). A stock style syncro trans, instead of some hopped up auto or a dogbox. A fuel pump setup that can handle everyday use... NOT some big'ol electric aeromotive or weldon. ect....

I am pretty sure I am not going to be running the 42r hybred I put together. I have been thinking that a 35R would do everything that I want it to on this car. This setup is more about using knowledge and a well built chassis instead of huge turbos and lots of money.

Thanks again for the good words! :thumb:

This is what I've always wanted to see. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I've mostly seen RWD DSMs that are full out 2 speed powerglide, giant turbo(not knocking big turbos :p), tube frame, speed glass, tubbed monsters. IMO full out drag cars are nice and all, but what really gets me going is a DD street car; over the top or not.

I'm extremely glad to see your intentions in the above post!

More pics! More pics! ROFL

Paul V- I got the pics and I see your sig pic. It looks really cool! You dont have a turbo on it yet do you?...
Yeah, it definitely looks mean under the hood. :) I did receive my turbo, but the yahoo's at Turbonetics sent it with a non-divided turbine housing by accident. So, I'm wait for the correct one to come in now. I'll have it on by next weekend.

If I ever make my way over to Wisconsin, I'll have to check out this project. Looks fun!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back