The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

is there any difference in 92 4g63 block & 98

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2G@wD

Proven Member
May 23, 2017
davenport, Iowa
Is there any difference between a 92 4g63 block and a 98... I have 92 block with my 98 head setup in my 98 gsx just wondering if there was any pro/con with it... It was formed mostly out convince.. Any opinions??

1989-1994 is 6 bolt and I think some change after august of 1992 ( that's what I was asked when I ordered new pistons) and 1995-1999 is 7 bolt. 6/7 bolt meaning number of bolts that the crankshaft has. 6 bolt has different style main bearings than the 7 bolt, the 7 bolt uses thrust washers/bearings.

They only made 6 bolts halfway through 92. After that they used the 7 bolt bottom end.

The main reason the 6 bolt was considered superior was the thrust bearing problems the early 7 bolts had. The 6 bolt also has larger head studs and larger rod mains.

you're asking an opinionated question. people can tell you great things and negative things of each engine all day long, it boils down to preference in what you want to run

As a general consensus after hunting for a long while seems the 6 bolt wins out in most groups since it tends so suffer crank walk less. Though the 7 bolts cylinder head is a superior design.

Thats the combo I run.

Whoa whoa whoa.. slow down guys. there's some misinformation here.

1989-1994 is 6 bolt and I think some change after august of 1992 ( that's what I was asked when I ordered new pistons) and 1995-1999 is 7 bolt. 6/7 bolt meaning number of bolts that the crankshaft has. 6 bolt has different style main bearings than the 7 bolt, the 7 bolt uses thrust washers/bearings.

The "change" was from 6 to 7 bolt midway through 92 as has been previously stated. so if he has a 92 head on the car.. does he have a 92 7 bolt head on a 7bolt block? or does he have a 6bolt head on a 7 bolt block?

The main reason the 6 bolt was considered superior was the thrust bearing problems the early 7 bolts had. The 6 bolt also has larger head studs and larger rod mains.

The 6 bolt is superior for a lot more reasons than that. what other engine can you name that can hold triple-quadruple stock power levels without having to touch the bottom end at all?

Could you imagine throwing some head studs on a b16 and throwing 30psi at it? what about an ej25? same thing holds true for a 7bolt 4g63 (albeit the 7bolr can hold around 450whp vs the other 2 which are joke in that of itself). while it's true that the 98-99 split thrust block is superior to the earlier 7bolts... it still wouldn't be able to hold a candle to a 6 bolt in terms of being able to hold power in stock form.

Tear the block apart and rebuild it? Now it's a moot point. Build it for whatever you want. I can't help but laugh at the guys that post "built" 6 bolt blocks on the classifieds saying it should hold 500whp no problem.. The stock block could've done that, it's been proven time and time again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back