The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is stroking worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright so now im looking into comp ratios, 9.0:1 or 8.5:1?
I am going to be running pump gas.
What are pros and cons of these two?
and does the 9:1 make up for the less amount of boost i can run?

Alright so now im looking into comp ratios, 9.0:1 or 8.5:1?
I am going to be running pump gas.
What are pros and cons of these two?
and does the 9:1 make up for the less amount of boost i can run?

Running 9:1, on a stroker, with pumpgas, will have you running no timing at all.

HAHA^^

Ya I am pulling 3 degrees of timing up top with a 9:1 compression piston. I am pump plus meth as well.

I'm just finishing up my stroker setup. With a choice, I would have gone 8.5:1, but I got a great deal on the pistons and rods. ($450 for the combo). I went with an OEM 4g64 crank (uncut)

Setup is like this:
9:1 Wiseco on Scat rods
clevite bearins
OEM 4g64 crank
Fresh .020 bore and hone on the block
Stock head and IM

It'll be on the E316g for a while. I'll let you know my thoughts as it gets completed this month, maybe it will help you decide. Its a scary path to take with all the reliability stories.

I actually havent heard many reliability horror stories so im gunna keep it that way haha.

And alright maybe you can help me. what 4g64 cranks fit in the 4g63 7bolt?
Ive searched but cant find anything really solid, if you know or could post a link thatd be great, and whats the difference between cut and uncut?

Any 7-bolt 4G64 crank will work.
Meaning you can get one out of a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer and it'll work in your block.

Difference between "cut" and "uncut" in terms of crankshaft journals are;
"Uncut" stock crankshaft main and rod journal diameter.

"Cut" means the main and/or rod journals have been turned down to remove damage done to the journal surface from bearing contact and/or contamination.

Typically the journals are ground down .010" at a time, or 0.25mm.

A "cut" crankshaft will require the use of "undersized" bearings.

It's ill advised to run a cut crank.

Stroking a GST is not a good idea.
You must already have a shit ton of wheel spin as it is.
I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just not as typical.

GST's are 2.0L highway racers.
They have long legged gearing.

GSX's 2.3L light to light action!

Last edited:
Cool thats exactly what i wanted to know thanks.

And i got and lsd sitting in my room right now and im gunna buy some wider tires and get some stiffer springs, im sure il still have some traction problems but it shouldnt be that bad. I want the torque, go big or go home :p

How long has he had it? I'm trying to find out longevity and reliability since ive heard some bad stuff about strokers as DD.

Built my motor 4 years ago in my garage all by myself. over 15,000mi on it and i shove 28psi through it everyday on pump gas. It does however shake the mirrors at an idle with 272s in it. But i truely threw this motor together and got lucky, i would never do it that way again. It doesnt burn oil, compression is in the 178-180 range, and oil pressure is still at 20psi at an idle (850-900rpm). I did notice that the crankshaft endplay was at .006 since day one, but it hasnt got any looser when i checked it at 15,000mi. and i use napa synthetic oil, nothing fancy. 4Gs are tuff

Any 7-bolt 4G64 crank will work.
Meaning you can get one out of a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer and it'll work in your block.

"Make sure in your search of the Chrysler Products that you are getting a Mitsubishi 2.4L crank and NOT the Chrysler 2.4L. There are different motors used in the sedan (chrysler) vs the Coupe (Mitsu).

In the 03ish range they also made changes to the engine management system going from the "SBEC" or Single Board Engine Controller to the "NGC" or Next Generation Controller on the Chrysler motors. Make sure that the Mitsubishi version you're searching for didn't have similar changes as well. The Chrysler differences are pretty significant in that the crank target and sensor locations are different which would create quite a bit more work for the installer." ~Doug99RS

i know this old......but i just wanted to know if should stroke my motor and and how big should i go?

mods so far...

full race header
t-88 garrett turbo
block bored .20
1000cc injectors
bc 280 cams

still have to get...
link
tranny
rods and crank
fmic
uicp
bov
wastegate
intake

so let me know what you think.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back