The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is stroking worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yepes281

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
H-Town, Texas
Thinking about stroking my engine, mods are in profile. Will the HP gains be worth it, and what is reliability like, this is a daily driver. Just trying to get some info before i make such a huge leap. Was planning on just getting a .20 overbore but im "supposedly" going to get a HELL of a deal on the stroker kit.

Thinking about stroking my engine, mods are in profile. Will the HP gains be worth it, and what is reliability like, this is a daily driver. Just trying to get some info before i make such a huge leap. Was planning on just getting a .20 overbore but im "supposedly" going to get a HELL of a deal on the stroker kit.

There wont be much of an HP gain but you will have considerable TQ gain. The stroker will improve spool up and off boost performance/response. Take note that this is at the sacrifice of RPMs. Strokers tend to be funner on the streets due to the "instant" power response they produce, again with its cons being reduced MPG, as long as you go with a true long rod you;ll be fine and reliability isn't sacrificed too much. The TQ gains will reak havok on your transmission and drive line however..

The 4G63 stroker is more suited for street use with better low end/mid range torque. The 2.0L version will still rev higher and if pushed hard, can make as much power. Although the stroker motor may not make more power with the same big turbo as a 2.0L, it will spool the big turbo up faster, making a high horsepower daily drive more bearable.

Camshafts will not perform the same on strokers as 2.0L engines. Strokers will tolerate more aggressive cams than the 2.0L with fewer low end negative effects.
Strokers are (even) more sensitive to the weight of the reciprocating parts than 2.0l
engines. Piston and rod selection should take the acceleration rates into account.

Strokers are more sensitive to balance shaft removal and hard motor mounts than the 2.0L engine. A stroker with balance shafts removed, solid motor mounts, and full weightrods and pistons should shake the mirrors. The original high flowing head design of the 4G63 makes the stroker version still useful at stock rev limits.

2.3L Stroker Pros
1. More Displacement. Almost 18% more displacement.
2. More low/mid range torque.
3. More tolerant of aggressive cams.
4. Faster spool up.
5. Higher effective compression ratio.
6. More tolerant of timing advance and lower octane fuel.

2.3L Stroker Cons
1. Higher native harmonic imbalance.
2. More sensitive to engine balance.
3. Lower RPM potential from higher piston friction from side loading and velocity.
4. Higher tension loads on rods, both in tension and bending.
5. Volumetric Efficiency drops off at lower RPM's than 2.0L

You decide!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well im planning on putting in an lsd with it and some big beefy tires. Lofty, with all that being said, is there any sacrifice in top end power besides not being able to rev high? Ive never really planned on going over 7500-8000 rpm anyway.

My buddy has one in his spyder, there is difference in the torque, he didnt do much research on it he just bought it when his 7 bolt crankwalked.

My buddy has one in his spyder, there is difference in the torque, he didnt do much research on it he just bought it when his 7 bolt crankwalked.

How long has he had it? I'm trying to find out longevity and reliability since ive heard some bad stuff about strokers as DD.

So I DD my stroker and honestly I dont notice much torque gains. I did add cams and a SMIM but the real difference is how much power I make with less boost and how fast spool comes on. The spool seems delayed but once it starts building it is rediculous how fast I slam 25 psi.. I am at 45 lb/min at about 23 psi last time I logged it.

My good freind Chris(cman02) has a GVR4 with a HX40 2.3 Stroker DDs his car as well at 24psi and loves it.. His car is alot torquer than mine since he is stock cams and intake mani

Last edited:
So your saying with stock cams and intake manifold the cars toquier/faster? WTF

Just go for it and experience it for yourself.....there are good and bad things for every mod...Im gonna stroke my block when I get the cash its just something I want to do to find out for myself you know.

as long as you get to finish i feel it's worth it everytime, and sometimes keeps you from makiong other mistakes.. but when some one else does it for ya it's a much better feeling

sorry, you set yourself up for it :p

Ha ha well i got a girl for that :thumb:

im building a stroker for my gsx, honestly i wouldn't do it on a gst cause of the traction and all.

but hondas do it all the time you'll just need to find ways to get around "breaking the tires loose"

And like i said up top, im gunna be putting in an lsd also and put some nice size tires on it.

So your saying with stock cams and intake manifold the cars toquier/faster? WTF

Not faster... Just quicker spool it seems.. Butttttt check this out.. 2.3l stroker on pump gas and a shitty tune. Boost est it alittle low actually. I am at about 24ish psi instead of 22.

So I DD my stroker and honestly I dont notice much torque gains. I did add cams and a SMIM but the real difference is how much power I make with less boost and how fast spool comes on. The spool seems delayed but once it starts building it is rediculous how fast I slam 25 psi.. I am at 45 lb/min at about 23 psi last time I logged it.

My good freind Chris(cman02) has a GVR4 with a HX40 2.3 Stroker DDs his car as well at 24psi and loves it.. His car is alot torquer than mine since he is stock cams and intake mani

viper what are you reving that DD to ?

Not faster... Just quicker spool it seems.. Butttttt check this out.. 2.3l stroker on pump gas and a shitty tune. Boost est it alittle low actually. I am at about 24ish psi instead of 22.

What program do i use to open that? :confused:

And did the top end with cams make up for the seemingly slower spool?

ECMTuning, Inc. and download ecmlink v3... Its free software and you can view logs.

Yes the cams and the SMIM caused me to loose alittle torque down low. But i make it up once spool hits. My Airflow continues to rise. This car was designed for the street and sometimes I wish I would have gotten a evo3 IM but I could pass up the deal on the magnus. I also wish I would have went with the 272s but I do like the 275s.

Ill be revving to atleast 7500. I might try 8k.. The head will easily take it. manley valvetrain(titanium retainers)

ECMTuning, Inc. and download ecmlink v3... Its free software and you can view logs.

Yes the cams and the SMIM caused me to loose alittle torque down low. But i make it up once spool hits. My Airflow continues to rise. This car was designed for the street and sometimes I wish I would have gotten a evo3 IM but I could pass up the deal on the magnus. I also wish I would have went with the 272s but I do like the 275s.

Ill be revving to atleast 7500. I might try 8k.. The head will easily take it. manley valvetrain(titanium retainers)

Alright cool, cause what i read said that 272s didn't really make a difference and 280s were the way to go. And so you would recommend an evo3 intake over a magnus, how so?

Its ramps up the velocity of the air, smaller plenum to fill up, Lots of reasons why it will add to my torque but the car rips how it is now so I am happy with the way I built it.

Or a manley forged crank.. they offer a 2.4 crank now right in the 500 range. Looks super nice. I am running a stock crank BTW

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back