The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Is my turbo shot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90victorhugo

Proven Member
Aug 30, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey everyone i picked up a gst and i noticed white smoke coming out of my exhaust, when i checked the turbo it was moist with oil?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 176
Try to tighten the fitting. The oil could be coming from other places too. And if you want to check the turbo. You have to remove the intake pipe and check the turbo for shaft play. Also white smoke usually means a coolant leak! Like blown head gasket! Better do a compression test and see.

[QUOTE="Dsmkauai, il check it out tomorow morning..smelled the smoke it didnt smell sweat at all..

Check that the oil line and coolant lines to turbo aren't leaking. Those can cause smoke sometimes. Also, check your banjo bolts on the turbo itself. When my 16g went, it was letting out clouds of whiteish blueish smoke when letting off throttle after boosting up the mountain passes in Colorado. If you look through some posts, there is a guy that sells really good turbo rebuild kits for $50. I used that and my 16g runs better than ever.

White smoke would be coolant burning :( Probably a head gasket!

You can't tell if the turbo is blown by the outside, the oil you see is just a leak at that fitting. I don't see any pipe tape around the fitting, so that could be why it's leaking slowly.

Agree to the compression test, maybe a leak down test and a coolant system pressure test and a boost leak test
White smoke is coolant. Blue is oil, Black fuel. Questions to ask yourself, is there coolant in your oil, oil in coolant. How is your coolant levels holding? Are you over heating? What do your spark plugs look like?

Ok i removed the intake piping and the turbine thing has a little movement.. I checked the intercooler and u can see the oil in there.. Im not over heating if it was a gasket wouldnt that be the case?[DOUBLEPOST=1415679272][/DOUBLEPOST]?

Last edited:
Is it normal for the untercooler to have a little oil ?? And how hard is it to replace the head gasket?

It's most likely blow by from your pcv and valve cover vent! Adding a catch can Inline will help keep things clean. It's hard to say since non of use are there what exaclty your problem is bro! Do a conpression test and report back. You can also drop your downpipe and see if there's a bunch of oil on that side. If there is you might have bad oil seals in the turbo or valve stem seals.

Ok i removed the intake piping and the turbine thing has a little movement..
Define "a little movement". How much? What direction?
I checked the intercooler and u can see the oil in there..
ANY stockish car with the factory PCV lines routed to the intake will have oil in the intercooler piping.

[QUOTE="JusMX141, its jiggly in all directions..

So heres what i found so far
Low oil level, cracked water resourver,oil in intercooler, theres a leak of oil on the driver side of the engine cant find where and white smoke[DOUBLEPOST=1415740036][/DOUBLEPOST]And it only smokes after i boost it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back