1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Is my Oil pump bad or on its way out...?

Posted by J Fresh, Jul 24, 2018

Please Support Jackson Auto Machine
  1. J Fresh

J Fresh Probationary Member

Joined Feb 23, 2017
    Vista, California
    I've got a 97' GS-T with 73k original miles. The car has been in SoCal car for all of its life...

The stock oil pressure "gauge/dial" sometimes moves to about the half way line when i first start the car and other times, maybe to the 1/4 line or not move at all. This also happens when I drive - the oil pressure line will be anywhere from the half way line to not registering at all...

Do you think the oil pump is going bad? it is original and car has 73k...

Do you think the sensor connected to the oil filter housing is faulty?

Should I buy an after market oil pressure gauge and disconnect the factory one?

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

T25   automatic

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    I would check the connection on your sensor first, they tend to become covered in stuff which can mess up the connection. Clean it up with some brake cleaner and steel wool/brush.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  3. J Fresh

Joined Feb 23, 2017
    Vista, California
    I'm about to change my oil on Thursday so I will definitely inspect the connector/connection areas! Thanks, Ill post back in a few days if it doesn't help

My DSM:

Street Build

T25   automatic
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.
  4. J Fresh

Joined Feb 23, 2017
    Vista, California
    So "Thursday" turned out to happen today, 3 months later because I bought a Fiesta ST LOL

I cleaned the connection point and installed the aftermarket Glow Shift Gauge. The pointless stock gauge works much better than before and the aftermarket really highlights how useless the stock gauge really is. First start it was around 20psi but then drops to around 11-17psi after warmed up... The oil pressure rises almost simultaneiously to the RPM's... Im pretty sure everything is working as it should, I am still in the fence about selling the rebuilt B16G turbo by justin W., Eprom ECU, Denso 660cc injectors and 190l fuel pump since the Fiesta ST is just so much fun to drive....

#1stWORLDproblems

My DSM:

Street Build

T25   automatic
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.
  5. dustyboner

dustyboner Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    if you wanted fun to drive, you should have gone with a Focus RS. Its like 2 festivas in 1.
    well unless its this festiva :hellyeah:

6. Dstarperformance01

Dstarperformance01 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2016
    Mustang, Oklahoma
    I have a focus ST :hellyeah: congrats on the fiesta @J Fresh
    I must say the RS is over priced and not worth the $$ imo @dustyboner. It’s an over priced late model dsm ROFL.” Turbo “upgrade” cost ya $2k or more and only put down like 450ish :notgood:! I miss my dsm everyday. ST for a daily and a DSM for fun/party time :hellyeah:

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  7. arodgst

arodgst Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2008
    Bakersfield, California
    I drive my nephews focus ST around sometimes and it is a blast to drive, full bolt ons and tune. But anyways once you install that 16g and other parts I think you'll have more fun on the DSM, but thats just my opinion, those STs are fun to drive. As far as the stock gauge goes i wouldn't rely on it since you have the aftermarket gauge installed i think its when the oil light comes on is when yoy should be worried. Hope it all works out for you...

Vegas smith likes this.
  8. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    I have had my focus st for 5yrs now I love it such a great dd. I've driven all of them the fiesta was just to small and the rs way to much money. My focus is full bolt ons and tuned last time I dyno d it it put down 252 and 348 torque. Its a blast I really want to step up to a gtx2867 in the future.

My DSM:
    brian9397gsx 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

19.80 @ 35.55 MPH
  9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Junk!

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual