The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G Is my engine a 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I searched around I keep coming back to the pic in this thread advising that at point "x" the pan will be curved or straight if the engine is a 6 bolt/7 bolt.

The problem is, I don't even know what side of the car the photo is being taken from.

Where exactly am I looking for this curve?

Thanks

I guess this is a 7 bolt and I can kill the thread??

Anyone?? I thought this was easy peezy!

Attachments

• IMAG0902.jpg
    IMAG0902.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 729
Great, guy told me it was a 6 bolt before I purchased it. Thanks

Yeah that pic is awful! That is the one that is all over the internet. I guess the dented in pan is a better tell?

I don't see where my pan is rounded like that. I only see where it is dented in.

See this URL which contains the dented in indication:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html

Last edited:
That one is clear....just not clear under the car to me or in my picture.

Does it have a "1G" intake manifold and everything?
Guy probly just assumed that if was a 1G motor that it's automatically a 6-bolt. Heard it too many times unfortunately:idontknow:

Your pics and examples are perfect, just having trouble understanding it as it pertains to my particular pic.

I guess the bottom line is that it is a 7 bolt.

Do 6bolt and 7bolt intakes differ?

No. 1g and 2g intakes differ but 93 94 1g motors ate 7 bolt. However they are not the same 7bolt style as 2g.
I don't see how you have trouble with any of those pics. It's timing belt side. The flange of the oil pan is either completely flat (six bolt) or has a slight dip under the timing belt. A quick visual should tell you.

Alright I'm About 99% sure I have a 6 bolt but I'm ordering timeing components after work and don't wanna order the wrong stuff LOL
, cars a 1g 91 laser rs that had an engine swap to nt so I just need clarification thanks that's the harmonic balancer/ crank pulley

Oh and that spot that's cleaner on the oil pan I rubbed it and it's kinda going out not anything you could really see /barely feel it come out

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-31-23-25-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-31-23-25-21.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 142
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Here is the difference in blocks, just happen to have a 6 bolt and a 7 bolt build in my garage, note the freeze plug orientation and true, the 6 bolt block has a flat sealing surface on the oil pan where the crank sticks out and the 7 bolt has a dip in the pan in that location. The 6 bolt is in the foreground and the 7 bolt is in the background. You can see the freeze plugs on the intake side are different between the two. (engines are upside down in this picture):

The 2g 7 bolt is entirely different than 1g . 7bolt. Does the freeze plug difference translate to both 1g and 2g 7bolts? This is so easy to check for 6bolt or 7 bolt I really still don't understand what's so hard about it.

Yeah I'm not sure there. My 6 bolt is a 90, the 7 bolt is a 97 but in all cases the oil pan is the simplest way to be sure....6 bolt is flat.

[PICTURE] Here is the difference in blocks, just happen to have a 6 bolt and a 7 bolt build in my garage, note the freeze plug orientation and true, the 6 bolt block has a flat sealing surface on the oil pan where the crank sticks out and the 7 bolt has a dip in the pan in that location. The 6 bolt is in the foreground and the 7 bolt is in the background. You can see the freeze plugs on the intake side are different between the two. (engines are upside down in this picture):

The 2g 7 bolt is entirely different than 1g . 7bolt. Does the freeze plug difference translate to both 1g and 2g 7bolts? This is so easy to check for 6bolt or 7 bolt I really still don't understand what's so hard about it.

From what I've seen over the years, it is different between 1Gs and 2Gs, not 6-bolt and 7-bolt: Knock sensor location

Thanks all for all of these pics!

Guys.....

I don't have trouble with the pics at this point. I had trouble looking at the pic that I posted and seeing the curve as opposed to the flat spot at the top.

No one has really commented on how the pic that I posted in particular shows curvature.

I mean I see it, but it's not nearly as obvious as the indentation on the side of the pan as an identifier. It is also not as obvious as the pics you all posted.

I find pic 2 at the link below as a much easier way to identify via oil pan, especially with the pan being mounted on the vehicle:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back