The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is my AEM methanol pump or controller bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ23GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2004
W. Springfield, Massachusetts
I just recently started to have issues with my AEM meth injection kit. I noticed I was getting some lean spikes in my datalogs so first thing I checked was the meth system. Upon running it with the test button on the controller (without the nozzle attached) I noticed that the pump nearly stops a few times during the test causing a noticable loss in fluid flow. Next thing I did was hook up a multimeter to the pump feed wires and watched voltage while pushing the test button again. With the multimeter hooked up you can see the voltage to the pump gradually rise like its supposed to only to fall for a split second and then continues to rise again like normal. Is this the correct way to be testing this and does this confirm that its the controller that's bad and not the pump?

A lot of controllers pulse the pump to get the desired flow. Try running 12 volts to the pump directly to see how it reacts.
I get that but what I'm seeing on the multimeter is the voltage drop and I can physical hear and feel the pump nearly stop. It will gradually build to say 6 volts then for a split second drop to 2 volts then pick back up and start raising again from 6. Sometimes the volts will drop more than once during a test.

How are you getting the controller to activate the pump? You pressurizing the intake? I'm pretty sure the controller is only suppose to kick out 12 volts at all times. Grounds for the pump and controller good?

How are you getting the controller to activate the pump? You pressurizing the intake? I'm pretty sure the controller is only suppose to kick out 12 volts at all times. Grounds for the pump and controller good?
I'm using the test button on the controller to activate the pump. It's supposed to start at the pump and gradually ramp it up to max flow and hold it there for 3 seconds. Out of the 15-20 times I tested it there was only once where the pump acted normal. I double checked all wiring and everything looks good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back