The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is it a good idea to block off the egr valve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm power

10+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2010
clermont, Florida
I have a 97 eclipse 420a and im having some problems with it at times not always the car will sputter and cut off then start right back up fine.
Im thinking it fuel pump.But den i came across something could be egr valve how it is a good idea to block it off.My car came with the egr valve open no hose or nothing and it never cut off like it is now.I replaced the hose and everything.But im thinking should i block it off? i know its mixed air going into my motor not healthy air.

It won't hurt anything if i take it off right?
i mean im thinking im going to leave it the way it is i already bought a new hose and everything is installed already.But wen i bought the car i knew there was a reason the hose was cut off.

yeah man block it off.

1. take valve out
2.put breather filter on end of hose
3.block the egr inlet in the manifold

Leave the EGR valve hooked up. The only reason to block it off is to clean up the engine bay a little/eliminate the possibility of extra boost leaks.

People block it off thinking it's a performance mod, when in fact it hurts performance. Having the EGR valve hooked up actually helps performance. It lowers intake temperatures and helps gas mileage by up to 20%.

Yeah it's been debated for quite a while now...I was going to do it but after reading around on here I decided not to.

EGR systems are more beneficial for diesels than gasoline engines. You may see a slight decrease in fuel economy but not a whole lot. The difference will be even less if your intake is clogged with dirt from the egr valve. The egr valve only opens at part throttle situations so its not cooling the air at full boost anyway. But it will still be debated so its your choice.

People block it off thinking it's a performance mod, when in fact it hurts performance. Having the EGR valve hooked up actually helps performance. It lowers intake temperatures and helps gas mileage by up to 20%.

20%, that's a substantial claim. Actually it doesn't cool the intake charge. It it exhaust. It is a gas that doesn't burn, so that cools the combustion a little bit, but not the charge temps. It is not there for performance, it is for emissions. You get MORE efficiency the hotter you burn.

...and helps gas mileage by up to 20%.

I have a very hard time believeing this

20%, that's a substantial claim. Actually it doesn't cool the intake charge. It it exhaust. It is a gas that doesn't burn, so that cools the combustion a little bit, but not the charge temps. It is not there for performance, it is for emissions. You get MORE efficiency the hotter you burn.

+1

But no too hot ;)

A leaner burn (hotter) burns more effeciently. Though NOx emissions go up.
A richer burn (cooler) burns less effeciently. Though CO(2) emmisions go up.

Toyota experimented with engines made of ceramic and ran them at really hot temperatures, i'd assume from no cooling, and not running lean, and they were efficient as hell. The only thing that wasn't efficient was the lifetime and the manufacture, so we have to wait.

I eliminated my egr valve and took off my map sensor cause all the map does is tell the ecu that the egr is working but since its gone, I have no need for it. I have extra mods like 750cc injectors, boosting 15 psi, HKS cams 264 intake and 272 exhaust and I still get an average of 25 mpg and that is not freeway mileage either! Performance wise I have not noticed one bit of a difference. THe thing is I don't notice a difference but maybe the motor does, up to you to eliminate it or not

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back