The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Intermittent noise when driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
So just about two days ago this noise happened when I was driving coming from the front of the car it’s sort of a high pitch screeching noise. It’s not my brakes this noise has happened when just cruising. The noise longest the has lasted was maybe 10 seconds and then just stops. I know this isn’t much here I’m hoping to get a video of the noise next time it happens.

I was thinking belt squeal but this noise is just different, but I’ll check everything out today. Hopefully get a video too. Thanks for the feedback

Most likely it's your alternator or power steering belt screeching. It may be getting loose or old?

One of my belts screech really loud on a humid day or when it's really cold, also when I hit a good puddle but never really came up under steady throttle. Video or sound clip would be awesome, let me know what you find.

Does the noise track with vehicle or engine speed? Meaning, if you drive the car to the speed you hear the noise, put in nuetral and rev the engine, does the noise change with the engine speed or does it sound like its following the vehicle speed. That will help you start to isolate the problem...

well the only thing I have done when the noise has happened was brake and the noise did change/slow down I believe. But the noise at 55 sounds the same as if it happened at 35. Maybe coincidence that the noise changed when I braked, but maybe that helps

Does the noise track with vehicle or engine speed? Meaning, if you drive the car to the speed you hear the noise, put in nuetral and rev the engine, does the noise change with the engine speed or does it sound like its following the vehicle speed. That will help you start to isolate the problem...

A Suspension issue would not be a high pitched scream per se but could be very "squeaky" when going over bumps.. Have you tried to put push down on the front and rear suspension to see if you could recreate the noise?

That doesn't sound like a belt by the video.. suspension may be something worth inspecting. When I hit a curb a few years ago I damaged the wheel bearing and had to replace it but it sounded more like a hum depending on driving conditions which made me notice it. If you are hearing sounds when hitting a bump it usually indicates a moving part in the suspension. For the diagnosis of odd noises I found the Haynes Repair Manual to be really helpful when checking things out. Well worth the investment of maybe 20 bucks.

Just a thought, but what I hear sounds like a heat shield contacting your driveshaft intermittently. I would get under the car and check that driveshaft tunnel out for a bent shield...

I don’t think it’s a belt especially if it comes and goes when you hit a bump. Put it up on jack stands and have someone bring it up to speed while you go under. It does sound like brake dust shield rubbing or heat shield touching the driveshaft. Check inside the wheel wells and see if it’s rubbing on something. Check you lower splash shield. If they’re loose, it’ll catch wind and start rubbing against your tires

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back