1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

GVR-4 Installing front axles, kiking my a$$

Posted by mk2davis, Dec 7, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. mk2davis

mk2davis Probationary Member

Joined Dec 7, 2018
    NEWBURY PARK, California
    Is there a trick to getting the front axles to click in place? She's getting dangerously close to running, and while all the bolts on the wheel side line up, the passenger side at least (haven't started on the driver's yet) still seems to slide left and right if I unbolt everything on the wheel side. Maybe tightened down, things just slide into place?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    I usually lay under the car and make the lumber jack chopping motion on the shaft on the trans side.

If that doesn't work I try different angles of that high lumber jack chop

After that you can try to loop a ratchet strap across each axle and use the control arm on the opposite site as leverage to ratchet up the tension on the strap to pull the axle into the transmission.

Ive actually found tons of random uses of ratchet straps while working on big projects or stubborn bolts

3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Whenever I've had a trans out I've always left the axles in place and attached to the hub. I unbolt the control arm to get enough slack to pull the axle out of the transmission. When I stab the axle back I have the weight of all the suspension to push on the axle too. Snaps in every time effortlessly.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  4. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Should pop in easy. Try twisting the c-clip and axles so they line up with the splines.

What slides left and right? What bolts line up, the knuckle to strut?

5. mk2davis

Joined Dec 7, 2018
    NEWBURY PARK, California
    Sorry for the vague post. The hub was bolted in place to the unsprung strut, and the axle was going through the hub, yet the axle would slide in and out, in other words obviously not "clipped" in.

6. mk2davis

Joined Dec 7, 2018
    NEWBURY PARK, California
    Removed the stree, centered the locking ring, and the axle slid right into place once it was straight.