The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

GVR-4 Installing front axles, kiking my a$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2davis

Proven Member
Dec 7, 2018
NEWBURY PARK, California
Is there a trick to getting the front axles to click in place? She's getting dangerously close to running, and while all the bolts on the wheel side line up, the passenger side at least (haven't started on the driver's yet) still seems to slide left and right if I unbolt everything on the wheel side. Maybe tightened down, things just slide into place?

I usually lay under the car and make the lumber jack chopping motion on the shaft on the trans side.

If that doesn't work I try different angles of that high lumber jack chop

After that you can try to loop a ratchet strap across each axle and use the control arm on the opposite site as leverage to ratchet up the tension on the strap to pull the axle into the transmission.

Ive actually found tons of random uses of ratchet straps while working on big projects or stubborn bolts

Whenever I've had a trans out I've always left the axles in place and attached to the hub. I unbolt the control arm to get enough slack to pull the axle out of the transmission. When I stab the axle back I have the weight of all the suspension to push on the axle too. Snaps in every time effortlessly.

Sorry for the vague post. The hub was bolted in place to the unsprung strut, and the axle was going through the hub, yet the axle would slide in and out, in other words obviously not "clipped" in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back