The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Improving Clutch Pedal Feel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmrcs

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2012
East Wenatchee, Washington
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for improving my clutch pedal feel? It feels fine, as it should from the factory but it's just a little soft and dull for my liking. Maybe I am just used to a more aggressive clutch engagement but I'd like to tighten up the feeling and be able to feel the friction point a little bit better. Aside from SS clutch lines what has anyone else done to the pedal/slave/master cylinders to make it a little more crisp of a pedal with an OEM clutch?

This is on my '92 BTW.

Make sure your pedal assembly isn't worn out. 1g assemblies are old and known to create some decent pedal play. Swap the factory flex line out for a steel braided line. Also make sure there is no restrictor in the slave cylinder where the fluid line enters. Other than that the only other thing that'll change it is the type of clutch setup your using.

Yea, I was going to peak under there this weekend. I don't drive it every day so I forget about some things but yesterday I noticed the pedal assembly is starting to squeak, I guess you could say. I guess I'll find out tomorrow, but are there bushings in the assembly that wear out? I could've sworn I saw some sort of brass/billet clutch bushing for sale a while back. Can't seem to find it again, though.

Do a complete bleed and put some good fluid in there if you haven't done so already. Otherwise, there's not much else you could do. Make sure slave/master are OEM and not auto parts brand.

Do a complete bleed and put some good fluid in there if you haven't done so already. Otherwise, there's not much else you could do. Make sure slave/master are OEM and not auto parts brand.

The system has been bled, certainly not a part of what I'm experiencing. It's honestly kind of hard to explain. I think I'm just noticing a worn out clutch assembly. Out of curiosity.. what do you consider good fluid? Are you meaning new fluid or a certain grade/brand?

The system has been bled, certainly not a part of what I'm experiencing. It's honestly kind of hard to explain. I think I'm just noticing a worn out clutch assembly. Out of curiosity.. what do you consider good fluid? Are you meaning new fluid or a certain grade/brand?

Not so sure it makes any difference but I use Prestone premium DOT 3 brake fluid. I have always had good pedal feel with this brand even after the fluid gets murky black but I have a 2nd gen. The main point is that it is bled with no air in the system. You probably are right though with just a worn pedal assembly or a worn out clutch/pp/tob/fork/etc.

Not so sure it makes any difference but I use Prestone premium DOT 3 brake fluid. I have always had good pedal feel with this brand even after the fluid gets murky black but I have a 2nd gen. The main point is that it is bled with no air in the system. You probably are right though with just a worn pedal assembly or a worn out clutch/pp/tob/fork/etc.
Hmm, okay. I will try and update this thread if I find anything out.

Your slave cylinder could be getting weak making it feel softer. Not sure if you have done it yet, but you can fine tune the little actuator shaft on the master cylinder, especially if it has been changed before and not properly adjusted. Might try vacuum bleeding the system as well. One more thing would be to check the small bushing in the clutch pedal assembly, it looks similar to a rubber grommet and over time it gets worn down to nothing giving all kinds of little oddities including off the floor engagement.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back