The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Ignition intake failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mav4

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2015
Palamós, Europe
Hi guys,

First of all, i'm new to this site. I'd like to present myself

I'm from Spain, I own a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2g, and this forum is the only one where i could find some solutions, so i finally decided to sign in.

I recently got a problem with my car.

I was about to go out, I started my engine and the "check engine" led just showed up. After few seconds, my engine just shutted down. After trying to start it again a few times, the results were the same.

The fact is that, the next day, i tried to start my engine again and it worked. I went out for 15 min to test it and I went back home. Then my car shutted down again. And never started again for the next 2 hours.

After that, the engine worked as I wrote before.

After cheking where the problem came from, I noticed that those symptomes were like if the car was getting drown every time I started his engine, probably cause of excess of fuel. (Sorry, i'm not used to speak those terms in english, I try to use the best words for you to understand me)

That would be the reason why my car works after 2-3 hours of not driving it, cause the excess of fuel dissapears.
Then, when I drive it for a few Kms gets full of fuel again and it shuts down.

I realised that this problem could come from two places:

The MAF sensor is damaged and tries to introduce more air than it should, and that, introduces an excess of fuel too.

OR, the TPS sensor of the throttle is damaged, and tells the car to use high levels of fuel.

Any other ideas? What do you think about? Sorry again for my english.

Thank you so much.

Well... I'd apreciate some help with that.

My '96 GS has obd2 conexion. I bought an obd2 bluetooth chip from ebay two months ago. I connected it, used Torque app for android, and my ecu doesnt seem to connect.
Today, I called a friend who works on a professional garage, and he brought me a diagnosis machine that fits all obd2 cars, and the ecu didnt connect neither.

I recently read that the european GS model(4g63 NA) is unable to connect the ecu to the odb2 chips, cause the only diagnosis tool that works for it, its the one from Mitsubishi service stations.

Could you help me finding a usefull connector?

Thanks.

O2 sensor or maf is a stab in the dark without being able to read the codes.

Well, how do i know if the ecu is damaged?

Is it true that the european GS cant connect the ecu to the obd2? Did any of you manage connecting to it with a generic obd2 chip?

So... I checked the fuel pump and filter and everything is ok.

Which should my next step be?

Thanks guys, apreciate all the help you are giving.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I bring news.

I just found a way to diagnose my check engine errors, and it worked.

Thanks to EvoScan website, I realised that I could recieve check engine errors just by using a wire as a bridge between pin nº 1 and ground (pin nº4 or 5, depending on your car) in the OBD2 connection of your car.

After that, and switching the ignition key to ON, the check engine LED shows you the trouble codes in some kind of "morse" ilumination.

The error codes that my car showed up are:

- Intake air temp sensor fault.
- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor fault.
- Barometric (BARO) pressure sensor fault.

I got somes questions about that...

As I checked, the INTAKE air temp sensor is located inside the MAF, am I right?
Would you change all the MAF estructure, of just open it and try to replace the sensor?

And... I looked for the barometric pressure sensor and didn't really find anything good. Did i just searched bad? Could any of you tell me which sensor is?

Thank you

Your issues are most likely caused by the cam shaft position sensor. That is the more crucial things out of the 3 to keep things operating normally even though i'm not sure what a baro sensor is. The CPS is known to be very tempermental on 2g's. Especially when you replace it with an aftermarket one instead of OEM. You have to remove the cam gear to get to it which means taking the timing belt off.

A lot of people wire in a 1g CAS to solve their problems which you can look into doing. IMO would be much easier.

So... I dont have the knowledge to take the timing belt off... I supose its a risky operation to do by myself.
Is it the only way to solve that camshaft sensor problem?

Ok, I think i'll head to the 1g CAS Method... Despite I think it's dificult too...

Actually, the camshaft is the first thing i should do, right?

If doing the 1g cas it replaces the crank and cam sensor on the 2g. So all you would need to do is unplug both sensors and wire them into the 1g cas. Instructions for this are available on Road Race Engineering and countless threads on the subject.

Yes, I'll check that. Thank you so much oneslowwdsm, I'll post my results

So, i've been searching on this forum and it seems like 95-96 eclipses (4g63T and NA) doesn't have cam angle sensor. They only have Crank angle sensor.

So, If I order a 1G Cam angle sensor, where do I plug it in? If I had Cam angle sensor, I would have to swap it for the 1G, but its not my case...
I don't know if i'm getting confused or what.

2g dsm in Europe = 4g63 na
Wow! Sorry, I didn't know that, I apologize (I should have known/guessed Chrysler wouldn't put their engine in a DSM in Europe). Thanx for the prompt correction. I deleted my post (which was just before yours) to avoid mis-information and confusion. So for the engine, do they use a 1g 4g63 NT, or some version of the 2g 4g63T without the turbo, or a 2g 4g63 NT Mitsu engine that wasn't sold in the U.S., or ...?

mav4: I'd still like to know your year and what are the actual check engine error code numbers you found? thanx.

Last edited:
Well sounds.like your either a.) Flooding the engine causeing no starts or b.)not.sending enough fuel to.the engine . My car would start then it wouldnt after .an hour or.two it.would start then not ect Ud be suprised how much these sensors can mess with start ups. the ecu relies on it for starting just something to check out to rule things out look for frayed wires ect.. hope.I helped if not then just ignore.this.post LOL

2g dsm in Europe = 4g63 na

This is probably true in terms of original sales, but there are a lot of US forces in Europe that have brought over and sold a plethora of American cars not to mention replacing the original motor.

Wow! Sorry, I didn't know that, I apologize (I should have known/guessed Chrysler wouldn't put their engine in a DSM in Europe). Thanx for the prompt correction. I deleted my post (which was just before yours) to avoid mis-information and confusion. So for the engine, do they use a 1g 4g63 NT, or some version of the 2g 4g63T without the turbo, or a 2g 4g63 NT Mitsu engine that wasn't sold in the U.S., or ...?

mav4: I'd still like to know your year and what are the actual check engine error code numbers you found? thanx.

Not sure what year or actual type his motor is, but the codes were

- Intake air temp sensor fault.
- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor fault.
- Barometric (BARO) pressure sensor fault.

FWIW, I had the exact same issues on my 1G, but I was only getting code 44 (Ign Coil, Ign PTU). After going through all the diagnostics it was a bad ECU. My two cents (via a 1G Haynes manual) would be to check the connectors on the BARO sensor and Intake air temp sensor. If both look good then follow the above instructions for the 1G CAS install. If the problem still exists just pull your ECU and see if there is any corrosion or popped capacitors in it.

Hello again, guys.

Sorry about not answering this post anymore. I've been busy and I couldn't login for a few days.

My car is the Mitsubishi eclipse GS '96, European, with 4G63 NA.

I checked my left side of the engine and I have the right plug of the head where the 1G CAS is going to be installed.
The only problem is that I don't know where to find the camshaft sensor of my engine, to be able to do the wiring instalation to the new 1G CAS.

I checked the last "tutorial" posted by 91-GS 4 posts above, and the engine showed is not the same as the one I own. I supose that it's the american model, but well, I don't think this is gonna be a problem at all.

Is my camshaft sensor located where the tutorial shows, even if I have the european model?

Can you take a picture of the engine? I'm a bit confused since if you have a 4G63 then a 1G CAS will either be a direct replacement, or can be installed following that tutorial. Or am i missing something?

Can't upload a picture right now. It's heavy rainning ATM. Tomorrow morning i'll do it. Thank you so much

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back