The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

identify if trans has welded center diff (out of car)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent_White

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2010
spokane, Washington
I bought a car that has 2 transmissions, one has a welded c/d, the other does not. I don't know which is which. Any way to identify while off the car?

97 awd transmissions.

Pull the diffs. It's quite easy and someone with little to no experience could do it and it will give you a chance to inspect the spider gears.

Maybe I'm wrong but if you stick both axles in the front diff and have a friend spin them one way, you should be able to hold the output shaft if it's not welded but you might need to hook up the tcase and driveshaft to get a good grip or if it's in the car throw it on stands and do it holding and trying to turn the wheels.

neither transmission is in the car, however one of the transmissions is bone stock. I can likely tell based on the rtv used.. I'll take a look next time i go to the storage unit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back