The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G I think my timing is off a tooth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison Fink

Probationary Member
Jan 11, 2016
Perrysburg, Ohio
I have a 2g eclipse gst it only has 30,000 miles on the engine. But my water pump went early. So I recently did a water pump and timing belt change. I was having trouble lining up the marks after a few times of taking the belt off and putting it back on I finally got them lined up but when I tensioned the belt the marks were off. I turned the crank several times and the marks were off. But what was odd, the oil sprocket and crank sprocket were off a half tooth but the cam sprockets were lined up. When I started up the car the idle dropped like 200 rpms I adjusted it back to normal. When I drove it afterwards it ran fine, no noticeable power loss still pulls hard. No misfires. It seems to be running normal. Could the timing be off?

You just said the marks were off? So are they or not? Every timing mark has to line up at the same time.

Install the timing belt in clockwise order starting at the intake cam. It helps to have one of those little plastic things that locks the came gears.

If all, or even one of the marks are off, the timing is wrong. The only way to fix it is to re-tention the belt. I'm not sure of the possible consequences of your scenario but I personally would not risk it.

The Timing Belt VFAQ (1g & 2g) clearly states that if you have this problem to try and rotate your exhaust cam clockwise one tooth before tensioning the belt, turning the engine by hand and waiting 15min, then check all timing marks.

Good luck, let us know if you get it squared up.

You just said the marks were off? So are they or not? Every timing mark has to line up at the same time.

Install the timing belt in clockwise order starting at the intake cam. It helps to have one of those little plastic things that locks the came gears.
the oil sprocket and crank sprocket looked to be a half a tooth off each time. So I put the belt on and turned the crank and the marks didn't line up, they still appeared a half a tooth off. But there is no misfires or power loss, and I talked to 2 mechanics and they said if there is no misfires or power loss then I shouldn't worry about it. But I want to take another look at it definitely but it sucks because I had to do it in the middle of winter. I'm waiting for it to warm up before I take a look.

Show us pics bro. We can tell you what's up. Also get it perfect there's no reason your timing should be off at all. And you don't want to just let it go. Also what brand belt did you use? Did you change the tensioner and pulleys? I would invest in the jay racing timing belt tools or make your own. Best tool investment I made owning my mitsu's :) http://www.jnztuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3040

The way I do it is I turn the crank back counter clockwise half a tooth so when you tension the belt it moves it to the right spot for the mark to line up. Get the tools to do a timing job like the plastic cam holder that was mentioned. Don't run your car until all marks line up or you risk bent valves. Ask me how I know.

The way I do it is I turn the crank back counter clockwise half a tooth so when you tension the belt it moves it to the right spot for the mark to line up. Get the tools to do a timing job like the plastic cam holder that was mentioned. Don't run your car until all marks line up or you risk bent valves. Ask me how I know.
How do you check for bent valves? My timing belt went out and I need to check. Turns out, when I pulled the timing cover, the second smaller belt wasn't even installed. Not sure what else is wrong with this car since I bought it.

the oil sprocket and crank sprocket looked to be a half a tooth off each time. So I put the belt on and turned the crank and the marks didn't line up, they still appeared a half a tooth off. But there is no misfires or power loss, and I talked to 2 mechanics and they said if there is no misfires or power loss then I shouldn't worry about it. But I want to take another look at it definitely but it sucks because I had to do it in the middle of winter. I'm waiting for it to warm up before I take a look.
Align the crank sprocket notch as shown below, then check cam sprocket notches - NOT the other way around. Use a ruler between cam bolt heads to check cam sprocket notches as shown below. If off read the Note of step 33 here: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html.

Attachments

• Timing cam shaft sprockets alignment.JPG
    Timing cam shaft sprockets alignment.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 730
  • Timing crankshaft 2g notch alignment.JPG
    Timing crankshaft 2g notch alignment.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 379
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back