I suck at searching lol

Posted by badgoose, May 25, 2016

Please Support Miller Import Parts
  1. badgoose

badgoose Probationary Member

Joined May 16, 2016
    Leitchfield, Kentucky
    I have been looking for threads and forums and I found contradicting information. I was wondering if it is possible to take the body off of a 1995 eclipse gst. I seen a thread somewhere where a guy did it and I can't find it again. Then I come across a thread on dsm talk forum and a guy said the body is an on frame setup and can't be taken off. The reason I'm curious is: is there a way to take the body off to be able to clean up the entire frame?

2. Dsmkauai

Dsmkauai Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Not any easy way. It's a unibody so the frame and body are pretty much one piece for the most part. It would take a lot of cutting/drilling, and then welding. Why are you worried about the Frame so much? You can easily clean and coat what is exposed by putting the car on a lift. How I did my gst and gvr4.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    My DSM:
  3. badgoose

Joined May 16, 2016
    Leitchfield, Kentucky
    Well I have been looking for a good project and I mentioned in an earlier post I found a car that would be an excel any project. It's missing the engine and tranny and clutch master cylinder. It has also been sitting in a ford for awhile. Exact time is unknown. The guy also mention he said the carbon fiber hood is separating so it'll need a new hood. I haven't yet been able to see pictures I will when I see him again. I was thinking I could check out the frame and if rust hasn't gone thru the frame then I can sand it off and re seal it with some por 15 or something that can give me several years of rust free worry. So pretty much it sounds like i just need to strip the car down and roll it over and clean up any rust and or repair it and then put it back together

It also may not have any rust but since it's been in a field for awhile then I'm banking it is I just hope the strut towers are good to go

4. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    spokane, Washington
    Dsmkauai is right. Unibody, and 2gs are notorious for rust under the side skirts and front shock towers. Inspect closely before you buy. If it's not rotten, you can strip it down and build a cheap rotisserie to flip the car on its side, making it very easy to work on.

There's a build on here that someone did a rotisserie with 2x4s, seems to have worked pretty well, and a stripped chassis would be fairly light.

IF you need to go that far, do it right. If its fairly clean, do as dmskauai said and just spend a few hours with it on jack stands wire-wheeling, scraping and sanding, then por-15 and under-coat it.

My DSM:
    badgoose likes this.
  5. badgoose

Joined May 16, 2016
    Leitchfield, Kentucky
    So their main rust points are strut towers and side skirts. Which side skirts can be replaced, strut towers is a whole new ball game. I will definitely check it out I remember seeing that thread where he had it flipped up on the side to clean up the rust it maybe something I may do to clean it up if it isn't that bad. I will definitely look it up if the pictures are worth driving to get it.

6. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    He said under side skirts, meaning the rocker panels. They develop rust holes, usually by the rear jack point and inside the back wheel well. You will have to cut out the entire rocker and weld a new one in, or try to cut and patch.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST (sold)

Street Build

T25   automatic
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   automatic
    badgoose likes this.
  7. TalonHermit

TalonHermit Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2010
    Rockford, Illinois
    I see you're in Kentucky. Im in Carbondale Il, but if you are interested in traveling to STL there are quite a few shells ive looked at with little to know rust i think a gst a gsx and a tsi on craigslit. and there is also an older one if you are looking for a 1g. if that first one youre looking at doesnt work out

there is also this nice write up if you need to fix them if they are bad http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/fixing-rusted-out-strut-towers.388340/

My DSM:
  8. badgoose

Joined May 16, 2016
    Leitchfield, Kentucky
    Ill check it out for the gsx shell

Oh ok gotcha that still don't seem that bad

9. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I would travel several states for a rust free car before I did that. these cars aren't rare. I see no reason to start a project that large since you can just find another car. even if you had to have it shipped 1000$ would be money we spent rather than potentially 100 of hours of work.
    if we were talking some rare numbers matching muscle car that's different.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  10. badgoose

Joined May 16, 2016
    Leitchfield, Kentucky
    I get that but call me crazy LOL, I think it would be fun and yes I'm serious. Hopefully it's not bad. I checked out the craigslist and seen a lot in surrounding areas as well.