The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

I pray this is "Only" Lifter tick [Video]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strayfe

Probationary Member
Dec 25, 2008
Tacoma, Washington
My cars been starting to have problems, It sounds alot like lifter tick so I am hoping it "is". Oh crap I hope I wont half to slice my pockets into half on this one.

YouTube - 1g lifter tick?

Please click HQ button so you can hear the sounds properly.

Here is my biggest question. Is my car "Safe" as a daily commuter? Any feedback/knowlege on the problems I am having it greatly appreciated, I really hope this is only lifter tick. Better yet It would be wonderfull If it is something that only requires me to tighten/loosen some pulleys.

Any motor can have problems if it's over-revved, doesn't get regular oil changes, is run low on oil etc (generally abused).

Beating on a 1.8 is the equivalent of cruising a 2.0T....

If only they made the 4g63's oil pans deeper. Like in bmw's and benz. My old 325i took 7 quarts of oil and it was a 2.5L.

I had the exact same sound in mine 2 weeks ago, tore it apart, and found out that my 7 bolt did what I hoped it wouldn't do. It took a walk. Crank walk is very common on the 7 bolt cranks. I had to replace all bearings and my crank due to a crack in the oil port. Also, I had a seized balance shaft, 2 colapsed lifters and a blown turbo.
How did you walk a '99 7-bolt?

If you had a seized balance shaft, something else was causing the wear on the thrust bearings.

If someone has not done FSM on the car and leat it leak oil ther is no end to what the car cold have rong i wold start buy doing all gaskits and seals and moving on to timing and belts pulles and all like 4piston side do not start the car any more.

That is a rod bearing.... 100%.... I had the exact same sound in mine 2 weeks ago, tore it apart, and found out that my 7 bolt did what I hoped it wouldn't do. It took a walk. Crank walk is very common on the 7 bolt cranks. I had to replace all bearings and my crank due to a crack in the oil port. Also, I had a seized balance shaft, 2 colapsed lifters and a blown turbo. YAY!!! Good luck on your rebuild...

i doubt your engine crank walked....in all actuality, i would say about 90-95% of the 7bolts that would of crank walked already have. everything else is just engine failure, plain and simple.

trust me when i got my car it had sludge in the in oil, the oil had gone 4k miles over the sticker, there was oil in the intake, a cracked head with sticking valves. oil leaking from the oil pan, and cylinder head. and a coolant leak from the cylinder head. and it sputtered and missed.

but now she runs strong, and takes my constant over revving. and my friend attempting to learn stick.

i tell ya those valves were darken then a T.I concert.
there was alot going on, it was very unloved.

apparently the 2.0L cant even take cursing then.

the 1.8L is like a fat redneck chick, no matter how much you beat her for overcooking the roast, she still thinks your a good husband and doesn't leave you.. (and i know plenty of 1.8l owners who feel the same way :D)

im keeping my 1.8L until the world runs out of good 1.8l motors, or i get my B-series honda (I regret selling my built b18A1 Civic), Mazda 3, or RX7

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back