The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I have a 2/97 block... can a 98 crank work??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnumba1

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2004
South Georiga, Georgia
I spun a rod bearing and the crank had 160k miles on it so I bought another crank, pistons and rods. The car Im working on is a 97' gst built 2/97. The crank came from a 98 Gsx. I have the 92-97 crank with the one piece trust bearing. The crank I have uses the 3 piece bearing. I read the cranks are cut differently is this true or can I use this crank with the correct bearings (whatever those might be)

I spun a rod bearing and the crank had 160k miles on it so I bought another crank, pistons and rods. The car Im working on is a 97' gst built 2/97. The crank came from a 98 Gsx. I have the 92-97 crank with the one piece trust bearing. The crank I have uses the 3 piece bearing. I read the cranks are cut differently is this true or can I use this crank with the correct bearings (whatever those might be)

So what are you asking as you have 2 cranks in this question! The 98 will work as its 7 bolt so that's no problem and in theory the other crank will be fine also but again if that's 7 bolt I don't see anything wrong! What 1 are you putting in? The 98 or are you saying your 97 has the 98 in in already? And want the 92+ crank? Have you tried to search and see what it comes up with?

I have the 97 motor with crap crank I just pulled out..

I bought a 98 crank thats in great condition, but has bearing for the 98+ blocks

this thread shows a 98+ block http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...ference-95-97-98-99-anyone-have-pictures.html

uses the 3 piece thrust center bearing, my early 97 block uses the one piece thrust bearing like this crank

It seems the cranks on ebay WITHOUT bearing included are NOT as year specific like THIS ONE

physically the cranks look the same other then the 98 one has a cylindrical weight on the inside of the flywheel bolt area.

On another thread someone said the cranks are cut differently HERE , but I see no other evidence that the cranks are different.

I hope mitsu just changes the block and bearings to try and fix the crankwalk issue, but it would be great if someone could chime in with the acual 92-97 and 98-99 crank differences.

Call a few people who build engines. Or take the crank to a machine shop and ask them if there are any physical differences.

Hey, dont know if you got your answer, but its a big ol' YES!

Ok, What happens, is 92-96 have "FLANGE BEARINGS" on the block. THEN in 97 changed to THRUST WASHERS. The crank stays the same, turbo to non turbo from 92-99 ( other models have this crank also, like the EVO 8... Evo 9 changed to a lighter one)

What you want to do, is take the crank to a shop, have the check it, or grind it, then get bearings to matched for your BLOCK. Look at your main cap. If it is ground out in the center main like the block is, you have a 92-96 style bearing set. If it is NOT GROUND, you have a 97-99 ( some people want this style for crankwalk, but really, we don't think it matters all that much..)

Hope this helps!

Jon from DSM Graveyard

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back