The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A I can't get the block off of the trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eziomandude

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2016
Dale, Texas
I have everything unbolted and I plan to drop the block out from underneath. But I can't get the input shaft from the trans out of the block to get the block out of the car. How do I get it out?

The input shaft does not enter the engine, it only interfaces with the clutch disk, I'm guessing your missing something.

did you unbolt the clutch assembly from the flex plate?

I've seen a video by I believe it was jafromobile the input shaft seized on his clutch disc and he got it out by unbolting the pressure plate through the spot that the fork sticks out of. Just an idea

Make sure you removed all the bolts. The grade 10 m8 bolt above the transfercase if that applies to u. If you are confident everything is off. Put the slave back on and bleed it and pump the clutch. Alot of times the forced on the tob will push the trans off the case. Last.... with the trans mount off and the transmission supported by a
Jack. Use the jack to put upwards pressure and release....continue this up and down. If it is still stuck at this point...something is wrong.

Why wouldn't you drop the trans with the motor? I have just removed the motor multiple times, but it was always done from the top side. You have to angle the motor enough to get the trans off, and I'm not sure if that can be done when trying to drop the motor out of the bottom side.

I didn't want to drop the trans and the motor as my motor has no mounts connected to it. I'm also not sure how to remove it anyhow. I looked on 2gnt and I saw how to remove the trans itself. But I also would remove the flexplate bolts but I don't have my crank pulley bolt to rotate the assembly.

The transmission has 3 mounts on it. You have to remove ALL of them to give the trans enough movement to separate it from the motor. At this point if you removed the axles the trans would be able to come out also.

If you are still against removing the trans, the clutch with have to be unbolted from the flex plate or you will not be able to get the motor out. You will have to find a way to rotate the motor. Use the teeth on the flexplate and a pry bar to spin it.

It's not bad. You have to pop the axles out, so remove the big nut on the knuckle side, then unbolt the lower control arm from the subframe. Unbolt the trailing arm from the body. You may have to unbolt the front strut from the lower control arm. Then you should be able to move the knuckle enough to get the axle out. Trans fluid will need to be drained first.

No, you need to remove them.

Also don't forget the inspection cover on the bottom of the trans. It goes up behind the flex plate and will keep the trans and block from separating

. You will have to find a way to rotate the motor. Use the teeth on the flexplate and a pry bar to spin it.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

--- you can also rotate the crank by pushing the pistons down.
once you unbolt the clutch from the flex plate, it will come right out

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

-------------------------------------------------------------
i guess you could also remove the rods/pistons, oil pump and bed plate.

damn if the pistons/rings are rust welded to the cylinder walls, its a bi*** to get them out. can you post up a few pictures of your engine bay?

Here you go

Attachments

• 26996658_445684359167647_152238911_n.jpg
    26996658_445684359167647_152238911_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 27045221_445684362500980_1803724_n.jpg
    27045221_445684362500980_1803724_n.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 27157128_445684349167648_733762548_n.jpg
    27157128_445684349167648_733762548_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 58
if i remember correctly, you don't have a hoist so your gonna have to drop it down, right?

so disconnect everything from the tranny.

the 3 places i marked in that pic have clips you pull out

just use vice grips and wiggle them out or tap the vice grips with a hammer and they will come right out

these should cover the breakdown of the front suspension and sh1t, so you can get the axles removed
front mounts/susp/axle.pdf
and/or THIS.pdf

or you can always cut the boot on the axle

Last edited:
Okay. I've got the shifter cables undone from the trans. I have that brake line undone. I'm attempting to follow the guide at 2GNT and where the removing the axle part confuses me. Do I just pull the axle or do I have to unbolt everything then pull it? Dusty you're correct I don't have a hoist. So I gotta drop it down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back