The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

HX40 TS garrett .84ar or 1.15?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdevil187

Proven Member
Aug 3, 2014
Houston, Texas
I decided to jump on the Twin scroll wagon, and sold my t3 manifold. After a couple of weeks of looking for a stock hx40 t4, ts, turbine housing without any luck, I called Turbo lab and they offered to machine a .84ar garrett turbine housing to fit my holset. What do you guys think?

Has any of you tried this before? I did some researched here and found and old thread with a couple of guys running a .83 ar housing but did not provide much feed back.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Ok so i made a mistake... What i have to choose from is either a .84ar or a 1.15ar both t4 divided Garrett housings

They can machine all the want, but a Garret t4 housing won't ever be right for a hx40 turbine.
Why will it never be right?
I know the stock housing is huge compared to a .84ar but keeping spool and maximum useful horsepower wouldnt a smaller housing work best?

I decided to jump on the Twin scroll wagon, and sold my t3 manifold. After a couple of weeks of looking for a stock hx40 t4, ts, turbine housing without any luck, I called Turbo lab and they offered to machine a .84ar garrett turbine housing to fit my holset. What do you guys think?

Has any of you tried this before? I did some researched here and found and old thread with a couple of guys running a .83 ar housing but did not provide much feed back.

Anyone?
Just go back to finding a big t3 holset ts housing 16cm2, 18 or 22 ts t3 housing. The t4 is harder to find.you want t4 ts go Borg warner airwerkes 257 259 or bw300 series t4 setups.

Last edited:
The turbbine wheel inducer tips are about 2/3 the width as a ptrim wheel that would normally occupy that housing. When you sink the turbine wheel in the housing to get it in the right spot, the heat shield covers about half the one volute opening. You need to have them side by side to see it.

Personally I would go for the largest t4 housing that will meet your spool requirements. Be advised, 99% of the time you will trade spool for power.

Just go back to finding a big t3 holset ts housing 16cm2, 18 or 22 ts t3 housing. The t4 is harder to find.you want t4 ts go Borg warner airwerkes 257 259 or bw300 series t4 setups.

The reason i would like to stick with the t4 ts, is because I'm spending a bit of money on a topmount manifold. The plan would be to upgrade to a bigger turbo some day and everything going forward seems to be T4 TS. If i went to a t3 ts manifold the selection to upgrade turbos is limited.

The turbbine wheel inducer tips are about 2/3 the width as a ptrim wheel that would normally occupy that housing. When you sink the turbine wheel in the housing to get it in the right spot, the heat shield covers about half the one volute opening. You need to have them side by side to see it.

Personally I would go for the largest t4 housing that will meet your spool requirements. Be advised, 99% of the time you will trade spool for power.

I see your point, I feel like i'm better off doing a bit more research before making a decision

T4 HX40 stuff is out there.

HX38Gs are a combination of HX35 compressor and HX40 turbine - you could pirate the housing off this and install on a HX40 (assuming it's in ok condition, that divider flange looks like it has issues, so you might want to verify). This is a 17cm housing - roughly 1.30 A/R, the smallest you'll find for the divided T4 footprint. Weld up the wastegate and go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbocharge...ash=item3d34331dd7:g:UkgAAOSwWxNYx~B4&vxp=mtr

This would have been perfect - new divided T4 HX40. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HOLSET-HX40G-TURBOCHARGER-PART-NUMBER-4039986-/332056298646?hash=item4d50190496:g:rhUAAOSw4GVYSGPI&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=FUpV6F9VzlQU9zvM97JlSjw%2BEpY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Auto's break too. Last year in my stick shift I ran 10's all season, broke one axle on the first weekend out, didn't break again after that. I even ran 10's on a 3bolt rear with slicks LOL. Car is 3300lbs, and trapped 138-141 all summer, thats some jam.

Anyway off my soap box, the BW's seem nice. Does that come with a 360* thrust for that $$? The 270's will give up really quick. Also the BW stuff is physically huge which sucks.

I found this one in facebook classifieds

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks for the feed back, it is very welcomed.
I bought my hx40 from you Justin and the plan was to go t3 than. The manifold i purchased ended up hitting my hood and the oil drain line was sitting right above the front roll stop. it drove me crazy and i decided to get a new manifold. During a bunch of reading i realize that if I was to spend 900 bucks on a t3 manifold to than upgrading later it be a better idea to go TS t4 now and have manifold for years. I'm not only looking at the cost of the manifold but the money to re-do all the fabrication, IC piping, exhaust, downpipe, dumpt tube etc.

@justin, does it really make more since to upgrade the entire set up without giving it a try?

I'd just sell the HX40 as a complete unit before you run it and devalue it at all, then buy a new S360 or 362 with the T4 turbine housing you want. The wastegated HX40 T4 housings are far more-bulky than necessary to get the job done but will technically work. Crazy to think that 8-10 years ago I was throwing them away because nobody wanted them, now everybody wants them.

Auto's break too. Last year in my stick shift I ran 10's all season, broke one axle on the first weekend out, didn't break again after that. I even ran 10's on a 3bolt rear with slicks LOL. Car is 3300lbs, and trapped 138-141 all summer, thats some jam.

Anyway off my soap box, the BW's seem nice. Does that come with a 360* thrust for that $$? The 270's will give up really quick. Also the BW stuff is physically huge which sucks.
I believe the sx-e's have the 360 thrust, but not the regular BW's. But I could be mistaken...

Most of the older S300's I've serviced have come with either a 3-pad or 6-pad 270* thrust plate....but these units have still held 50+psi while compounded on Cummins applications and some have come to me with no thrust wear so I'd think 30-35psi on a DSM would be just fine; you can always upgrade to the 360* plate when/if the unit ever needs serviced.

The majority of the time your thrust wear happens because of too much turbine restriction anyway, so if you're using a turbine housing and wheel that are capable of supporting the compressor on the application just fine then even the OEM thrust system will live very long.

Most of the older S300's I've serviced have come with either a 3-pad or 6-pad 270* thrust plate....but these units have still held 50+psi while compounded on Cummins applications and some have come to me with no thrust wear so I'd think 30-35psi on a DSM would be just fine; you can always upgrade to the 360* plate when/if the unit ever needs serviced.

The majority of the time your thrust wear happens because of too much turbine restriction anyway, so if you're using a turbine housing and wheel that are capable of supporting the compressor on the application just fine then even the OEM thrust system will live very long.
If mine ever goes Jus I hope I can have you fix it for me thanks. So far so good though knock on wood and it has less than 5k miles since new motor rebuild also 5k and she's working like a charm. Good to know you rebuild these also just something for me to keep in mind. Thanks! PS 300SX 88-75 turbo 63mm with .91 ar TS hsing max boost 29psi. Based on what you are saying I believe I am good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back