The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G HX35 hits block!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsyco

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere in, Central_America
So as the titles says! I've searched and found some other guy in this forum with he had a similar problems BUT with an ebay copy of a Megan Racing t3 manifold in my case I'm using the dsm BEP housing with FP race manifold the compressor housing clears just fine the water pipe but hits the block right behind where the hole of the transmission bolt is I'm sure I can grind the compressor and just make it a tight fit but all the people I've read their builts with the same manifold and turbo don't have any problem at all except for bending the water-pipe a little any ideas what it might be? Or maybe is normal, I don't know!
7bolt block, genuine HX35, FP race manifold all studs are straight on the head, gasket and manifold lines up ok!

I'd like to see this too. I mean mines a 1g, but a 4g63 is a 4g63 and mine cleared fine:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You clocked both the CHRA so the drain is vertical perpendicular to level ground, and the clocked the compressor housing to clear the motor mount ?

Yes I did that too to clear the mount and to have the feed and drain vertical but mine sits much much lower than yours what manifold are you using?
Here is a pic it doesn't clearly show the clearance issue very well but you can clearly see how low it is!
I also had to remove the transmission bolt!

Im running an hy35, but with the holset turbine housing. Mine hit the water pipe and the block. I ended up using a half inch spacer between the manifold and the block. But yours looks farther to the passenger side than most

Loosen up the bolts from the manifold to the turbo and once is loose move the turbo towards the driver side,, there is a tiny space there to compensate..

I run to this problem as well but my manifold is an EVO3, also I had to clockwise the compressor to help clear the transmission bolt...

A tip,

Install the turbo before the bolt, if you install the transmission bolt before, you will get a hard time to install the turbo, make sure to use a small bolt and a short nut..

Ho my bad, you have a 7 bolt, descard the nut and bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I will try that! For now seems to fit and is bolted and torqued, my main worry is that the head to manifold gasket won't seal due to the compressor hitting the block! and for the transmission I just use a shorter bolt with a washer!

I had the same issue with my hx40. And that compressor cover looks fairly similar. I took a angle grinder with a sanding disc to that spot on the block. Didn't need to take much off, but if you can find a different compressor cover, that would be a better thing to try first.

I Use a cooper gasket as can be seen in the picture I doubt a thicker gasket would help (I mean it has to be really thick to clear out).
As far as my understanding go on these turbos the HX35 and HX40 have the same or very similar compressor covers. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem I did grind the cover and the block, still touches the block but is barely.
Actually have a video I might upload it later!

Problem is, from what I've read, that Holset makes some odd sizes sometimes to fit a manufacturers needs. I picked up a new compressor cover from JusMX141 and it solved the problem. Got it powder coated, but sold it after that so never got to run it unfortunately.

A couple pictures of my 6 bolt, HX-40 with FP manifold and Bullseye housing. Just barely had to dimple the water tube to get it to fit so no problems here but pictures to show, maybe something is different.

I still say you should either PM Justin to see if he's got a spare compressor cover for sale or check on eBay.

Here's what I had to do to my block:

Here's a difference of the two covers. The black one was the one that didn't fit.

All of you guys run the n/t waterpipe? My Hx35w hits the outlet for the stock turbo waterline that comes out of the water pipe on the bottom left. I have tried a 2g mani and a dnp tubular mani as well same results. I am in search of a n/t water pipe atm.

All of you guys run the n/t waterpipe? My Hx35w hits the outlet for the stock turbo waterline that comes out of the water pipe on the bottom left. I have tried a 2g mani and a dnp tubular mani as well same results. I am in search of a n/t water pipe atm.
No. I run the stock 7 bolt water pipe modded cut and weld cause the compressor housing was touching it and after about 7-8 months it carved a hole thru.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back