The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

HX35 GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Everybody! Here's a little update.
I bought the car with a handful of known issues at a very reasonable price. I'm working on the plans to get everything going correctly before my buddy teaches me a few things about tuning.

-Driver side motor mount is missing a stud, and the stud closest to the firewall if giving me trouble. P.O. said it is broken inside there, It will spin both ways relatively freely; yet it will not come out even with a modest upward force applied to the nut while backing the stud out. This is just a stud that is threaded in, correct? I can't seem to figure out why this is happening, and this is my largest issue at hand. Any input is appreciated.

-Coolant leak behind turbo (HX35 is only oil fed as most of you know) so it is either the water pipe or the small hard line that goes to the oil pump. I have disconnected the small line and plan to pressurize it to see if that is the leak before I start ordering parts. When I bought the car, the radiator cap was not sealing at all, and the new cap allowed pressure to build and spring the leak. If it is the water pipe, I will talk to my friend (professional welder for brewery piping systems) to cut and weld a section to dip below the compressor housing, rather than buying a new pipe and denting it.

-No catch can, but I have been reading about catch can setups on here and I'm likely going to go with a single catch can setup for now.

-Cooling system is non ideal, there is only a single slim fan on the passenger side of the radiator. I haven't gotten to test it on the street yet, but I would feel a lot better if I put some time in to replicate a known competent setup. I am playing with the idea of shrouding the radiator to the FMIC, with puller fans between the FMIC and radiator.

-Small exhaust leak to patch up, but I want to get a full setup fabricated from the 02 housing to my muffler eventually. It has an Apexi turboback that has seen better days.

-Have not yet tested intercooler piping for leaks yet, but I do want to redo it cleaner down the road.

-Small rot hole on passenger side strut tower that will be patched.

Despite the known issues, the car runs great! It sounds awesome, the body is pretty clean, the paint is satisfactory, and I haven't found any major corners cut. Money is a little tight right now as I'm moving back to school tomorrow, while trying to keep my XJ up and running. The car is getting stored out of the elements for the winter, while I put together parts and more detailed plans for things that still need to be fixed. The goal is to have all of these problems worked out by the time the roads are relatively salt-free.

Here is a short walkaround of the car, along with a little baby rev.

Let me know what you think!!

Best of both worlds! Along with a picture of the mentioned motor mount stud.
20160824_144631.jpg
20160816_171311.jpg

Glad to see my car went to a good owner. I can't wait to see it running the streets!

As for the motor mount stud, they won't come out of the mount itself. The bracket they bolt into has the broken bolt. You'll either have to replace that bracket or remove the motor mount to drill out the broken stud. Get ahold of Miller Import Parts if you want to replace the bracket. I got the one with the broken stud from a member on here, not knowing it had a broken stud. Unfortunately, ran out of time and had to throw it all together in a hurry.

I used these for catch cans on the last setup:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Alum...ash=item25a4ebf2ad:g:xq8AAOSwcwhVNuJR&vxp=mtr
You can open them up and buy the stainless steel scrubbing pads for the kitchen and stuff them in there for baffling. Worked great when I had them.

Definitely do a boost leak test. I never got the chance.

And let me know if you ever need help wrenching. I'll miss her.

Hey man!! Glad to see you pop in here!! Is this the piece you are referring to? Might be a little bit of a pain to pull timing components to replace it if need be, but If I can manage to get the loose part of the stud out, drill out the rest, then retap it and get a new stud it may save me some time!
motor mount.jpg

Bookmarked that catch can as well and will order it up when funds start becoming more available!

I'll definitely take you up on that offer to wrench on her once I have some parts together, and we can take her out for a shakedown run!

Also, thanks again for all the help you gave me with getting this car into my driveway and legally in my possession. Would have never happened without your patience and willingness to make it happen, and I really appreciate that!! I thought it was far too good to be true while I was out on the other side of the country, and we made it happen the same day that I got home! I'm pumped to get it going!

Yeah that's the bracket. I didn't remember the timing components being attached to it. If that's the case, drilling and retapping is probably easier.

Been a while since I've posted, college is kicking my ass and there is little time/money to work with on the dsm.

With that said, I have since pulled out the turbo and found the coolant leak to be the old coolant feed port for the stock turbo on the block. I've ordered up an OEM plug that will take care of the issue. I also have to remake the hard line from the thermostat to the OFH, I figure I'll just use 3/8" hard line and bend it to fit, then secure it to the block with the original mounting points.

After the easy stuff, I'll be jumping into a job that I'm a little nervous about. Stud extraction on the motor mount was unsuccessful, so the bracket will have to be replaced. There are timing pulleys on the bracket, so I'll have to pull the timing belt off to change it.

I've never messed with timing on anything other than my SOHC crf250r, so this will be a first for me. I have a timing gun in my basement, I've never used one before but I'll look into it.

I plan to follow the vfaq on 2g timing to assist me with this project, but if anybody has a link specific to replacing this bracket please post it.

I'm hoping to get this all done next Saturday/Sunday when I go home!

I have used Zip Ties also so there are alternatives but as always, doing a job sometimes is easier with the right tools no matter what the job is! :thumb:

I like your new avatar Vic!!!!

Thanks for the heads up guys! I was planning on using clips and/or wrenches to hold the cam gears. I'd buy those tools to make it go a lot smoother, if I had any extra cash at all right now LOL

Well, as the semester rolls to an end and finals finish up, I should actually have some time to work on the dsm. I've been coming home on the weekends to make sure that no rats have gotten in, as well as clearing out anything that makes its way under the car in my driveway. Just about all of the extra time I've had on the weekeneds has gone into getting my daily ready for the winter.

Within the next couple days, I'll be getting the car into my old mans garage in the next town over, to keep it out of the snow and have a nice place to work on it over the winter.

The first order of business will be getting the new motor mount in(which I now have in my posession), then adressing the cooling system, setting up the catch can, taking a look at the exhaust for leaks, as well as possibly redoing the whole intake piping. My father is handy with aluminum tig welding and has a lot of resources at work, so I may look for a different intercooler and try to remake the whole piping with much less total volume.

The goal is to have it ready to start tuning by the time the salt clears up! I'm having the car tuned by Kevin Jewer at Sig Sigma Dyno Tuning, he isn't too far away and he does some impressive work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back