The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hx35 bigger comp wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBoostDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
Kalamazoo, Michigan
So, I recently had some complications with my hx35. Currently I need to decide if I should continue with my current turbo, rebuild it, and reuse it. Or buy another one. Upon removing the turbo, due to excesive in and out shaft play, I found that the compressor wheel has been contacting the compressor cover and they have been eating away at each other. Turbine wheel on the other had still looks good. So I have two questions. #1 I guess most important, do you think the center section is savable? And what are some clues that it's trashed? Below I have a picture of all sorts of cabon buildup caught in the dust shield. Turbo still pulled just as hard until the day I pulled it. And #2 is it worth upgrading my compressor wheel to a larger wheel? Current setup is BEP bolt on turbine housing and 8 blade hx35. I found an upgraded compressor wheel and compressor cover made by BAE. I will be staying with the bolt on housing for now, so t3 is not an option at this point.

http://baeturbosystems.com/compress...nducer-5600mmexducer-3-3-1-1-1-4-2-2-1-2.aspx

Car is currently at 400whp on a mustang dyno and I'm not looking to make much more with my stock block. Looking for any good advice, ask questions about the car if you need more details. May have forgot some details.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'd recommend having the turbo serviced by a professional- if the wheel rubs the cover like that, it can bend the shaft slightly....so checking shaft runout can determine whether this turbo is able to be rebuilt or not.

Also, the in/out play can also widen the turbine sealing ring groove to the point where the sealing ring no longer fits tightly, so it can pass oil as if the ring's not even there.

Again, not that this is stuff you *couldn't* do on your own- but it's better if someone with the proper tools checks it out before you proceed and spend a lot of money and risk another premature failure.

Thank you Justin, that's exactly what I needed to know. I may just find another one and send this one to be checked out. Do you recommend anyone in particular?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back