The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Humming/rubbing noise from inside the cabin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

import2gtuner

Proven Member
May 9, 2014
Toronto, ON_Canada
I've had this "humming/rubbing/vibrating" noise coming from what sounds like the dash/engine bay area. You only hear it from sitting INSIDE the car with all windows up otherwise it's faint when windows are down but still there. You don't hear it at all under the hood but when inside the car it sounds like it could be coming from the far end of the bay (firewall area.) Can't tell if it's actually in the bay or behind the dash.

It's only prominent stopped at a light or idle when the car is NOT in motion. It sounds like a rubbing/humming sound. It starts slow and gets fast then back and fourth and sometimes stops completely and starts again. Never does it with RPM speed. Just intermediately when it wants.

No clue what this could be or where to even start. Anybody with similar experiences?

Do you have A/C and is it on or off? If it's off it could be the clutch on the A/C.

Last edited:
Nope totally different sound from the throw out bearing chatter. It sounds more like up by where the dash meets the windshield or in the dash or something from the engine bay vibrating through the firewall. I tried to check around again and it wouldn't do it until I took it around the corner. It's very prominent inside the car. Not at all outside.

Reallyyyyyyyyyy didn't want to get into taking the entire dash out but I suppose if I do I'll have a better chance at finding out what it is

Checked everything under the hood with mechanics ears, you don't hear it at all under there in the bay at all. Just inside the car. I narrowed it down to the passenger side footwell under the dash is where I hear it real prominent. It's hard to find because it doesn't do it all the time.

It doesn't do it from what I can tell while in motion so I ruled out wind noise. Just stopped at a light and idle. I thought it was an accessory belt rubbing on my timing cover when it first started (which the belt was, fixed it and noise is still there) so now I'm here.

I'm checking everyone's suggestions including something vibrating in the glove box. If I can figure this out I will report back what I find. I just hope it's something stupid.

I'm reporting back in case somebody runs into similar issue's and finds this thread useful someday. I did find out what it was.

All the hoses off my charcol canister were ran wrong after having a garage put the whole EVAP system back in. I ran all the hoses back to where they belong and the noise has disappeared.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back