The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECUflash How to use a Spyder ECU in any turbo DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjohn23

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
phoenix, Arizona
I am not an expert this is experimental and following this guide could blow up your car or just ruin a perfectly good ECU.

So, apparently, H8 Spyder ECUs are not sought after, even though they can be flashed to a turbo rom. Why? The reason is that the fuel pump pin 8 does not operate the same way it does in the turbo cars , or NT cars for that matter, due to a fuel control module.

The fuel control module can be removed and another transistor pin like 22 can be used but why changed this and cause other devices not to work correctly like the AC( pin 22 is the AC).

No fix the problem , fix the circuit.

The difference between the turbo ECU and the spyder ECU comes down to a SOT-23 and a 1K resistor VS a SOT-89 PNP transistor ( not sure if NPN or PNP )

What is needed:

· soldering Iron

· solder

· solder remover( either a braid or solder sucker)

· SMD PNP SOT-89 transistor (not sure on the specs I used a scrapped ECU)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ensure you have a way to ground yourself to prevent ECU from getting shocked from static either with a grounding strap or with a piece of metal FYI not all shock is visible and transistors are very sensitive to static electricity.

De-solder and removed 1K resistor R530

Removed SMD SOT-23 transistor

Now solder in the new transistor and that’s all she wrote

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-21_22-23-25.png
    upload_2016-3-21_22-23-25.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Great article, I've been looking into using a spyder ecu myself but I have a question. I read somewhere on here that since the spyders didn't have a knock sensor the ecu won't register any knock, can you confirm or deny. My hope was that the spyder ecu still had the hardware for the knock sensor and by flashing a turbo tune to it, it would then unlock that portion of the ecu to make knock logging/detection possible. Do you have any insight on this?

I can't confirm or deny I was in a car accident a few weeks after I worked on this. I have a new build with the ECU I will see.

To clear things up, this is the H8 ECU for the N/T 4g64 Spyder and not the Turbo GST 4g63 Spyder. I had zero issues flashing with my H8 ECU being that it was already setup as a 4g63. The fuel side of the Spyder GST H8 is exactly like the coupe variety GST/GSX.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back