The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How to tune a 420a for no cat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotech

Proven Member
Aug 28, 2014
Millers Falls, Massachusetts
I recently picked up a 420a that has a straight pipe off of the exhaust manifold. The problem is that the car runs kind of like crap. I assume because it has no cat on it and the ECU is designed to tune the engine for the cat, it seems to run a bit rich and pop while cruising. It has the normal O2 sensors, no wideband. Is there any ECMLink like tool I can use for the ECU to tune out the cat? Is there any tuning at all I can do for it? Will adding a wideband help at all?
I've gotten spoiled at the ease of tuning and deleting things on ecmlink :p
Thank you in advance my friends.
David

There is nothing like that for the 420a. Your either looking at piggy back systems like the AEM fic or megasquirt that can be a piggyback or stand alone.

I ran my car with out a cat for a little while when it was still N/A and had nothing to tune it with. Didn't run any differently but it did seem slower with out it. All I really had was the butt dyno to go off though so who knows.

On a N/A car the car doesn't have as big of an impact on hp as it does on a turbo car.

Adding a wideband will do nothing other than show you the afr... is it spitting out any codes?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back