The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

How to tell what multi bolt pattern an unknown brand wheel has?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I have a few aftermarket rims laying around that no one has been able to identify by picture. Both sets are multi lug patterned. One set came from my 94 FWD Laser and the other sits on my 98 Caravan AWD which is also 5x114.3. I'd like to try either set on my GVR-4 potentially which is 4x114.3. As a side note, I just want to stay 4 stud even if that means I can't use the multi-lug wheels.

I can consider offset later but was wondering what some ways are to determine bolt pattern besides pulling wheels off of both to check. I have a set of dial calipers handy but not sure if I need to measure from the absolute center of the lugnut hole and how I'd be able to find the true center.

Can 5 lug multi-pattern rims also work in place of 4 lug rims or are 5 lug mp rims only intended to deal with situations like 5x114.3 (my Tribeca) and 5x100 (My Forester XT).

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
So after hours of youtube etc., I found out that it is correct in that you have to find the center of the hole by eyeball unless you want to get fancier.

Also, if the multi-patterned 10 hole wheel was designed to work with a 4 hole wheel it will have 4 additional holes. I only saw one example of that so I assume that it is very very rare.

So 10 holes on a 5 bolt = no workie in place of a 4 bolt wheel generally because of the distance between the lugnuts e.g. for the same reason I'd STILL need to drill an extra hole in any 1g rotors that I'd try to get to work in a GVR4 regardless of how many total holes it has.

Maybe I am wrong, but no one else has chimed in.

Typically a multi pattern 5 lug wheel has 10 holes while 4 lug wheels have 8. I haven't come across any wheels that would work with both in 12 years of selling and installing wheels. I have seen some adapter's / spacers that would work.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back