1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

how to tell if i have bad injectors.

Posted by devilsadvoc8, Feb 17, 2012
Maintenance & Repairs - Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions.

1. devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8 Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    I have noticed recently my cars been lagging plus I'm getting terrible mileage.. what is the easiest way I can find out if my injectors are bad?

2. arcuri21

arcuri21 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    rome, New_York
    if you have dsm link you can disable each injector at a time and if the car stalls out when that injector is shut down then it means one of them is bad, or id check the spark plugs.

3. gofer

gofer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    Neither symptom you described would be a bad injector and you don't need DSMLink to disable one injector at a time, either. If your set on the injectors though, you can send them to FIC and have them cleaned and flow tested to make sure they're working correctly. FIC Clean & Flow

A boost leak test is probably your best bet.

If a injector goes bad and you aren't sure which let the car idle and unplug one at a time, if you unplug one and your idle doesn't change then thats the bad injector.

:dsm:

4. ajanih

ajanih Probationary Member

decatur, Georgia
    the bad gas mileage is a good indicator and blocked injectors along with poor performance. i suggest doing a injector cleaning which would cost you no more than 75-100 dollars at good year or pepboys or whatever mechanic shop you may have around and, that way, if that doesn't fix the problem you can focus on other suspected problems.

5. 97gsxIA

97gsxIA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Mount Vernon, Iowa
    I'd suggest filling out your profile info so that people know what you have done to the car for a better understanding. Honestly if I thought my injectors were going bad, and to clean them is 100 bucks, I'd just take that opportunity to upgrade to bigger injectors especially if youre still on stock

6. jamarh85

jamarh85 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Powhatan, Virginia
    Totally agree, when one on my dd was going bad it would chug like a subaru periodically. FIC only charged me $20 per injector for cleaning flow testing before and after and replacinng the screens. Customer service and communicaion is awesome and they send back paper work and any old parts they removed for new ones.

7. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    What makes no sense is I unplugged each injector one by one and they all are working right. My coil, plugs and wires are all sparking how they should be but I can't still figure out Why its chugging like it had been.

8. gofer

gofer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    Do you have any CEL's and did you do a BLT?

:dsm:

9. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    I do have a Cel. I was told it had to do with my gas cap or my catalytic converter or a vacuum line but I checked all my lines and even put clamps on them to make sure they are not leaking. What's a blt? Sorry I'm new to the dsm world.

10. skatershawn

skatershawn Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Austin, Texas
    Boost leak test and compression test!

11. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    OK my eclipse it says is a gsx. But actually its an rs. So I don't have a Turbo. They didn't have n rs selection.

12. dsmsleeeper

dsmsleeeper Proven Member

Pacifica, California
    Hard to find a boost leak then. Check the o2 sensor.

13. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    No I have not. Going to Autozone tomorrow to run for my cel and see if it tells me anything

14. gakattack456

gakattack456 Proven Member

Albany, New_York
    Check all your vaccum lines and leak test intake. How old is the fuel filter? Are the injectors stock?

15. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    That's what makes no sense. It idles fine just boggs when I drive it. The injectors are stock with like 192xxx miles.

16. ENICKB

ENICKB Proven Member

Morgantown, West_Virginia
    You can always send them out to have the flow checked.. I think fuel injector clinic does it.

17. devilsadvoc8

DSM Profiles:
    apache junction, Arizona
    I fixed the problem. Went and got the car checked on the cels and it said I had a faulty ignition coil, injector, camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. So I unplugged the ecu. And battery, switched the 4 and 2 spark plug wires. Unplugged the #4 injectors since that's what one was specified and plugged it back in. Took out both sensors, cleaned them and their connectors and put it all back together and no cel or ridiculous lag. Thank God.