The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G How to replace water pump on 2g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are some good DSM specific walk-thru's at VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions. There might not be something specific for the water pump but you can use the timing belt replacement guide and go from there.

Why exactly do you want to replace your water pump? Is this for maintenance while you're replacing your timing belt or do you think that your water pump is leaking?

I'm guessing you took it to a shop but they wanted too much to replace it? There's a phrase somewhere, "DSM's - making mechanics since 1980 something". :shhh:

Where is the leak coming from? If it's the seal behind your water pump (in between your water pump and block) you'll have to remove the water pump completely.

If your leak is coming from where your water pump meets your water pipe (usually a worn o-ring) you will be able to fix the leak without messing around with your timing belt.

Which is it?

alright it is very tidious to replace the water pump... u first have to take off the engine mount and set it aside.. make sure the engine is supported a little by a jack or someting. u then have to remove the belts for power stering and ac if equiped and alternator. then take the pullys off for the water pump.. make sure your engine is at top dead center with ## marks alined on crank pully and cam pully/pullys. then u want to remaove the crank pullys so u can remove the timing cover.. after all these steps are complete lossen th automatic tensioner and remove it, that will alow for you to take off the timing belt... when you are finished getting the timing belt removed you want to losen all bolts for the water pump and then remove it... make sure to take a gasket scraper and get any old gasket material or rtv sylicone of the bloc... put new water pump on and reverse the steps i just gave you... make sure your timing is right or you may end up with bent valves and you dont want that trust me dude cause thats whats wrong with my car right now because of the same thing a water pump and a friend that was stupid and desided to turn my engine over when it was out of time.. if u have any more Q's send me a p/m

If your water pumpis leaking where it connects to your water pipe and not at the seal with your block you will not have to remove the water pump. Again, where is the leak coming from?

Thought I would throw up a diagram of the bolts on the water pump. I know it can be frustrating the first time trying to figure out how many bolts are holding something on.

Do make sure that your seal to the water pipe is not leaking. Those are fairly common to leak and would not require you to replace the water pump.

If you do need to replace the water pump. Most people replace the timing belt at the same time. Any questions/concerns report back.

Edit: apologies still learning to size things I will try to get a moderator to size that for me.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a diagram of the bolt locations for the timing cover. Make sure to pay attention to where the bolts go.

My Haynes manual has a diagram for the length of the bolts and locations but unfortunately Alldata doesn't or I can't find it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

well im pretty sure its not the water pipe.. but this job sounds like it can be a real pain. i wasnt really sure how to replace it and if i could do it myself and save a couple bucks. but the way it sounds i might just take it to the shop and have it done.

there going to charge you alot like your talking at least 600... it will only take you about 6 hours to do it if you dont have any experiance and all you need to spend is maybe 100 bucks for the pump, gasket, rtv silcone, and a timing belt.. you might as well replace the timing belt why your at it... the have the hole kit on ebay... i would just get a friend to help you, a manual and do it your self... it will take the shop proly 2 days to get it back to you though... good luck man

I know that isnt an answer but i don't know how to start a thread.

I am also preparing to change my water pump and timing belt. I plan to get a chiltins manual, but i would appreciate any good advice especially on what brands to get and obviously a little site help couldn't hurt

I am sorry for butting in, thank you in advance.

I am going to probably be replacing my water pump as well. which is funny because you would think that this would be something that the shop would replace when doing a timing belt change which my car had done by a previous owner at 89,000 miles. My car now has 106,000 miles and has a slight weep of coolant coming from just above the oil filter almost... I really want to do it myself but I heard that putting a new timing belt on a turbo model is very tricky. I have a haynes manual and a friggin huge dealer shop manual so Im good to go in that area. Im wondering all you have to do is drop one side of the motor? does this mean you have to take off that sides drive shaft to the driver side front wheel also. This is a project Im not really looking forward to but I have the car running almost tip top shape. this is all thats left. And hay, Replacing the timing belt again might not be a bad thing too.

I've never taken out the cv shafts when doing an in car waterpump/t-belt replacement. The only reason you need to remove that engine mount is give room to work around the timing belt components.

FWIW -- typical life of a water pump is about 120Kmi and both timing belts should be changed every 60Kmi. Therefore, plan on changing the pump every other belt change (again both, not just one), and if you need to replace the pump, change both belts at the same time.

PS. And while you're at it, inspect the accessory belts as well. If either looks at all worn, then replace both -- it's a convenient time for it. Never replace just one accessory belt (just like the timing belts) always replace both.

PPS. Regarding jacking the engine. Position the jack under the lowest portion of the pan and place a piece of wood between them to protect the pan from damage (don't press against the oil drain). Raise the jack so it takes the weight of the engine before removing the front engine mount bolts (the nose of the car will lift as the weight comes off the frame). Once the mount is fully removed, jack upward just a little more to make it easier to access the front of the engine -- it's kinda close down there.

Last edited:
Yea, thats pretty standard. And Id check all the pulleys that the timing belt ride on and tensioner. My buddy with his 420a was trying to get away from a ### mustang and one of the pulleys break open and bearings went flying everywhere. That destroyed his motor. Moral of the story, don't just replace what you need to, replace everything you can get at. Our cars are old.

Ps: when you say replace both belts are you talking about the balancing shaft belt as well?

when you say replace both belts are you talking about the balancing shaft belt as well?
Definitely! If that belt breaks, it can damage the cam timing belt. And yes, good point about the tensioner. Those things usually spring a leak by 60Kmi -- should be replaced when the timing belts are replaced.

well im pretty sure its not the water pipe.. but this job sounds like it can be a real pain. i wasnt really sure how to replace it and if i could do it myself and save a couple bucks. but the way it sounds i might just take it to the shop and have it done.

it really isnt to much of a pain because you will save a lot of money just doing it yourself it isnt too hard to do.

I use only gates on mine, and on every other car that i work on. I've never installed an oem belt, and have never had a belt break on the many cars that i've installed them on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back