The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How to install my 2g full polyurethane front and rear roll stops/motor mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2008
IE, California
So here's a quick write up that will show you how to install my polyurethane roll stops. It is pretty basic for most of you, but I do have a few tips.

So you just got you box from the UPS guy and you tear it open and you can hardly believe how beautiful the parts are!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now that the initial shock is over, you notice a couple thing that you're not sure how you are supposed to use or don't know what to do with it.

The 1st thing you notice is this half of a ring

Well this pic ^ should help you, the stock rear motor mount is weak and this little half ring will stop you from bending the mount up when pressing out the stock bushing and when pressing in the included sleeve. But wait what sleeve?

^ That one, so once you either cut out the stock bushings or press it out, either will work, now you need to press in this sleeve. This will make the stock mount a bit stronger and give the bushings something nice to slip into.

I highly recommend a press

You will notice that for some reason one side of the stock mount had a slightly larger diameter press the sleeve into the smaller side and make sure you keep it as straight as you can. Also putting the sleeve in the freezer and heating up the mount will make things a bit easier.

So now you have your sleeve installed!

Looks sweet right?

Well that is the hardest part of this, so if that was easy for you then the rest is a breeze!

Now you have the front motor mount and if you have ever installed any other polyurethane motor mount this one is no different

On the right is the front mount, and the stock bushing has already been removed and again you can use a press or a reciprocating saw to get the mount out, then just clean the mount up a bit with some sand paper on the inside and slip in the new bushing!

All said and done you should have something that looks like this

Now to install them!

A couple tips when installing these, I'd recommend getting both mounts in place before bolting either of them down all the way. Now remember the center holes are not centered so you can rotate them to get them pretty close to lining up, now they still might be far enough off that you can't get the bolt through, what I did was loosen up the motor mount bracket a bit so you can line everything up, then bolt everything down nice and tight!

Enjoy your mounts!

and for those of you who bought from me please leave Classifieds Feedback , Thanks

************REVISION TO INSTALL************

I have since revised the sleeve for the rear mount, so if you have the new revised sleeve

you now need to press the new sleeve in from the larger diameter side of the rear mount to the small side, you must still use the half sleeve provided to keep the mount nice and straight while pressing or knocking out the old rubber mount and while pressing in the revised sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch Adam. Even after you told me what that extra ring was for I was still making the WTF face... I'll be putting the front roll stop in tonight, I'll post pictures up too and maybe a few install pointers as well if you don't mind?

Once again, great parts.

:dsm:

Thanks a bunch Adam. Even after you told me what that extra ring was for I was still making the WTF face... I'll be putting the front roll stop in tonight, I'll post pictures up too and maybe a few install pointers as well if you don't mind?

Once again, great parts.

yeah everyone tackels things differently so feel free to ad to this thread or edit my post if something doesnt make sense

The front roll stop was cake, Im having a hell of a time centering that sleeve on the rear bracket without a press though. Ive got something up my sleeve that Im going to try tonight, hopefully it works since I dont have access to a press.

Ive gotten this far with just a hammer and thin flat head screwdriver so Im hoping I can get the sleeve installed in my garage too.

The front roll stop was cake, Im having a hell of a time centering that sleeve on the rear bracket without a press though. Ive got something up my sleeve that Im going to try tonight, hopefully it works since I dont have access to a press.

Ive gotten this far with just a hammer and thin flat head screwdriver so Im hoping I can get the sleeve installed in my garage too.

Yeah the rear is a bit of a PITA without a press. if you have a Dremel you could open up the smaller side of the rear mount a bit

I cant wait to hear your feed back Corey, once they are installed that is

That was the trick I had up my sleeve, definitly a fail though. I got it halfway through the big opening of the mount and no matter how much I beat it with a hammer it wont budge. Time to find a shop with a press I suppose, no biggie.

Ill let you know how everything turns out Adam, I like the fact that the front roll stop bolt matches up to the hole diameter of the mount. Thats been my biggest complaint and should help a ton keeping the clearances tight. With all this new found traction Ill either be breaking drivetrain parts or my 60ft time record...

That was the trick I had up my sleeve, definitly a fail though. I got it halfway through the big opening of the mount and no matter how much I beat it with a hammer it wont budge. Time to find a shop with a press I suppose, no biggie.

Ill let you know how everything turns out Adam, I like the fact that the front roll stop bolt matches up to the hole diameter of the mount. Thats been my biggest complaint and should help a ton keeping the clearances tight. With all this new found traction Ill either be breaking drivetrain parts or my 60ft time record...

half way through the big opening or the small opening?

Halfway through the big opening, I "ported" both openings with the carbide bit and die grinder I use for port work. I didn't want to hog it out too much because then you can't go back and it wouldn't be a very solid roll stop. I've got faith that the press will be able to get that SOB in there, she's just a bit tight. I'm going to have a shop do it today and I'll let you know what happens.

That rear roll stop is a PITA to install on the subframe as well and what really pisses me off is that I just got my VSS working. Now I'm going to have to pull it out again and deal with that headache all over!

Who sells solid polyurethane roll stops for the 2g? I thought they were all inserts.

He's the only one. Adam dude I like the extra forethought you put into the design on the rear rollstop. I think that's more than most people would be expecting purchasing polyurethane mounts. I wish I had been able to buy that last set you had! Great parts!

He's the only one. Adam dude I like the extra forethought you put into the design on the rear rollstop. I think that's more than most people would be expecting purchasing polyurethane mounts. I wish I had been able to buy that last set you had! Great parts!

Thanks! I try to make everything as simple as possible, the rear mount is a bit of a PITA due to a crappy OEM design of the mount, too bad it wasnt like the rest of the mounts so we wouldent have to use a sleeve at all.

The front roll stop mount is a no brainer, its the rear thats completely different than the other three. Here are some pictures I took doing the install of the rear, I'm still in the process of getting the sleeve pressed in. I was able to use a hammer and old flat head screwdriver to bang out the old rubber mount.

Good news. I just got off the phone with a suspension shop down the street that has a hydraulic press, said they would press the sleeve into the motor mount for a 6-pack of soda. :thumb:

The front roll stop mount is a no brainer, its the rear thats completely different than the other three. Here are some pictures I took doing the install of the rear, I'm still in the process of getting the sleeve pressed in. I was able to use a hammer and old flat head screwdriver to bang out the old rubber mount.

Good news. I just got off the phone with a suspension shop down the street that has a hydraulic press, said they would press the sleeve into the motor mount for a 6-pack of soda. :thumb:

I tried to do it your way gofer, with a screwdriver and a hammer for the front one. I banged it for about five minutes and the dam thing didn't even move. So I said the hell with it and took it to a local shop the had it out in about two minutes with their press. Only charged me 5 bucks.

I only have the front one and it made a HUGE difference. When cruising and in high rpm shifts.

To line up the front mount I first put it in with only one half of the insert to see where the hole lined up to the mount then I put the second its easier to move when there's only half the insert in there. This is a great piece adam made.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Yea, I'm stubborn when it comes to going to a shop and paying to have something done. For some reason I like to think that anything can be done in my garage with simple hand tools. The rear motor mount sleeve most definitely needs pressed in but like you said, a shop shouldn't charge more than $5-$10 to do it.

Well, for a 6 pack of Coca-Cola the suspension shop pulled through and I wish I would have done it days ago instead of beating the crap out of the sleeve. Here are the finished pictures of the roll stops ready to bolt into the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the deal Adam now everyone wants a pair but before when we started talking about doing these no one did, I dont get it?

You can tell how much slop Adams mounts get rid of just look at the size of the bolt hole LOL I installed the front one first and loved it no more slop way better shifts

I would have to say maybe its exposer, or almost advertising in a non-advertising way. Its the fun of being a freelancer.

LOL yeah, im just "sharing". I sold all these parts and I have to give people instructions on how to install them.

I installed the front roll stop yesterday but I'm afraid my review could be a bit skewed from everyone elses experience after their install. Reason being, one of the bolts on my front motor mount was stripped as well as one of the big 17mm bolts holding up the cross member. When I did the install of this solid front roll stop I replaced the motor mount too (which wasn't stripped) as well as replaced the stripped 17mm bolt with a new one. I can tell you one thing, I definitely noticed that I had less vibration in my steering wheel when the car was idling on my way to work this a.m.

I'll be doing the rear mount Wednesday.

I installed the front roll stop yesterday but I'm afraid my review could be a bit skewed from everyone elses experience after their install. Reason being, one of the bolts on my front motor mount was stripped as well as one of the big 17mm bolts holding up the cross member. When I did the install of this solid front roll stop I replaced the motor mount too (which wasn't stripped) as well as replaced the stripped 17mm bolt with a new one. I can tell you one thing, I definitely noticed that I had less vibration in my steering wheel when the car was idling on my way to work this a.m.

I'll be doing the rear mount Wednesday.

Well that has nothing to do with the performance of my product :D

But dont you find it funny that a solid poly motor mount makes your car vibrate less?

I should post a picture of what my front motor mount looked like with the poly insert removed, that center bushing had damn near seperated the rubber was so cracked and broken. I'm not exactly sure what to expect from these roll stops you made Adam but both my front and rear were broken and just had inserts in them. ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back