How to Identify Rear Differential???

Posted by YoYo_4G63, May 9, 2011
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. YoYo_4G63

YoYo_4G63 Proven Member

Carolina, Puerto_Rico
    Is there a physical way to identify any difference , between auto vs standard rear differential?

:confused: thanks
  2. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Your moms house, BC_Canada
    Well if your swapping in awd to the mirage..You should prbably just find out what the donar car has for a transmission...The gear ratios are different so don't screw up and put in the wrong rearend..I'll run outside and see what kind of markings are on an auto rearend..

Edit..I cant see the rearend..My gas tank is in the way and the car is backed up too far to get underneath..
  3. -red97rum-

-red97rum- Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Ontario, California
    There's a sticker on the rear end which identifies if it's an auto or manual. I'll take a look at mine when I get home from work.

Edit: Auto rear diff should have a sticker on it that says J1H. Manuals are B1H or B1G. If you can't read the sticker then I'm not sure what to tell you.. besides taking the cover off and actually counting the teeth on the ring and pinion.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...-rear-differential-label-number-question.html
  4. YoYo_4G63

YoYo_4G63 Proven Member

Carolina, Puerto_Rico
    Sticker is no more. I've heard that for 35 turns of the axle, the driveshaft flange should turn 100times.

For a 3.54
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. YoYo_4G63

YoYo_4G63 Proven Member

Carolina, Puerto_Rico
    Anyone knows please? :banghead: