The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How to clean the under side, undercarriage, of our cars??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95CarbonEclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Yakima, Washington
Okay, so last weekend I was under my car doing an oil change and after checking out some parts that were freshly installed about 6 months ago, I realized that I need to wash the under side of my car in order to keep everything nice and clean and in working order. Any ideas out there on how the average joe that doesn't own a lift (or know someone with a lift) can effectively clean the undercarriage of their car?

If worse comes to worst, I could alway jack the car up on 4 jackstands, saturate the undercarriage with Simple Green (or any other degreaser) and then hose 'er down. I'm curious if there's an easier or more effective way to do this though.

I think you've got the right idea. Your best bet would probably be to get the car up on jackstands and use some degreaser. If at all possible it really helps alot if you can spray it off with some hot water. If you don't have hot water you should still be all right as long as you make sure to use some kind of degreaser.:)

Most car washes around here have an 'undercarrige' setting that jets the bottom of your car with water/soap from the front wheels back.

Do you mean degreasing everything, or just spraying?

Same here. I've timed mine LOL so I can get the most out of it.

Most car washes around here have an 'undercarrige' setting that jets the bottom of your car with water/soap from the front wheels back.

Do you mean degreasing everything, or just spraying?

I'm sure there's a car wash around here that does that, but I'm willing to bet that it's an automated one, which I don't go to because my car sits so low that it'll scrape on the wheel guide tracks.

I meant both. Spraying the entire undercarriage (at least all the major points) with a deagreaser and then spraying off with a hose.

I noticed how dirty my SS brake lines were and the inner sides of my calipers. Also, I recently installed an oil pressure sending unit into the oil filter housing and I know that if I don't keep it clean under the car, that'll end up getting all nasty too. Not to mention I think it's good preventative maintenaince to keep everything clean.

yeah going throught the car washes is not a good idea if your car is lowered, i never go through them because not only my car is low but im afraid the whels might get scratched or the paint...anyways what i did was i brought a jack with me to the car wash parked the car inside and jacked it one side degreased it and washed it, after i jacked the other side and did the same thing. its a little time consuming but i think thats what works for me.

That's a good idea. I literally live next door to the manual car wash that I go to. I've been wanting to get some of those drive-up ramps. If I had a set I could easily bring them with me and then just drive up onto them and go to work.

I either go to a manual car wash and use the degreaser gun and spray it all down, or if it's relatively cool outside I'll get under the car and use "Motorcycle Engine Cleaner" to get any thick gunk off, and a mild degreaser for the rest. :thumb:

Maybe you could take the ramps to a DIY wash at night, then blast the undercarrige.

That's a good idea. I literally live next door to the manual car wash that I go to. I've been wanting to get some of those drive-up ramps. If I had a set I could easily bring them with me and then just drive up onto them and go to work.

Ya think? :rolleyes:

I appreciate the help, but seeing as how it was already stated it really wasn't that much help after all. Maybe it'd behoove you to actually read the threads your responding too.

I remember reading somewhere that somebody suggested driving over a fan style lawn sprinkler to clean the under carriage. I've always wanted to see if this would work

Hire a crew of cleaning midgets? HAHA...

I know what you mean though, my current project car looks like someone coated the underside w/ an oily paste... I'm going to jack stand it, spray it, then install my brand new exhaust system!

Of course, that oil will prevent rusting...

I've used this method on both of my DSM's before doing a T-Belt/BSE.
Since you're not doing a T-Belt/BSE, I won't cover those steps.
Materials Needed:
Healthy Jack
Wheel Chocks or, I use 2 one foot long 4x4's.
2 Jackstands
1 or 2 cans of Engine Brite engine degreaser depends on how dirty she is.
Garden Hose with an adjustable noozle for those stubborn areas and the hard to reach areas.

1) I pull the e-brake and use 2 one foot long 4x4's behind each rear tire.
2) I get my can of degreaser and follow the directions.
3) I start degreasing with the car on the ground and rinse from the top down.
4) I then crack loose both front wheel's lugnuts and jack the car up in front as high as it will go.
5) Remove both front tires and the splash shield.
6) Then I just go at it with the degreaser on all of the ugly areas and rinse as directed, and it works like a charm.

If the rear of the car is greasy too, you can simply jack the rear up and repeat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back