The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to Change Head Gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly8911

Probationary Member
Jul 13, 2008
Goshen, New_York
Okay so a couple months ago I had a 6-bolt put into my 95 talon (stupid crankwalk) and I had my 7-bolt head rebuilt...everything got put back together but I haven't been driving the car so it's just been sitting but I just bought a cometic head gasket and ARP headstuds that I want to put in and my mechanic friend who did the swap can't do it for me soooo I need some help. I know I should have bought this stuff before but I didn't have the money and someone gave me a cheap one for free to use for the time being. I have some other friends that are willing to help and I do know stuff about the car but I really need like a detailed step by step of how to do it or at least anything I should watch out for? I really need to know the torquing sequence and what I torque to and everything. Anything really would help or you know if anyone wants to come help me do it that would be great LOL jk Thanks in advance! :)

Start by removing the timing belt:
Timing Belt VFAQ

If youve given up by then take it to a mechanic ROFL

But seriously, just start by doing that 1st then everything else is pretty self explanitory, just start unbolting the thermostat housing, vacuum lines, fuel lines, manifold to turbo bolts, anything else you see attached...

Then remove the headbolts and should come off (leave the exhaust manifold/intake manifold on, it will make things easier)

I just did mine and it was def easier to leave on the intake manifold but we took off the exhaust manifold...

What did you disconnect from the intake manifold? Like intercooler pipes? To make it "loose" so you could just temporarily lift the head and put in the gasket right?

What did you disconnect from the intake manifold? Like intercooler pipes? To make it "loose" so you could just temporarily lift the head and put in the gasket right?

You just have to dissconect your intercooler pipe from the throttlebody, the vacume lines, throttle cable, and the brace that connects the intake manifold to the block and it will come rite off with the head.

You will need to resurface/clean up the cylinder head and block before installing the new gasket. Removing the intake and exhaust manifolds will make this easier, but may also require new gaskets for the intake and/or exhaust.

Yes you need to get all the old gasket off. If not ,Don't do the job. Clean both sides before you put it back together.That is the way it works....

im about to do the same job on mine, i was just wondering how hard is it to keep the timeing , and if i were to srew it up how hard is it to get it back on time.

I usually just take everything I can that bolted to the head on, and disconnect all the wiring/hoses, leaving an almost complete head to go back on. I leave the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, thermostat housing, etc all on, just disconnect hoses, and intercooler pipes, take the timing belt off with the motor and all timing marks lined up, and take out the headbolts, wala.

I have my head off in about 30 minutes.

Another fun peice of advise is to make SURE you have a source for the camshaft sprocket removal tool. I assumed that my local auto parts store would have one. Long story short I ended up having to wait 3 weeks from mitsu to get something that worked...

I know some people have stated that you can do it with a screw driver, but that just didn't seem safe to me... :D

im about to do the same job on mine, i was just wondering how hard is it to keep the timeing , and if i were to srew it up how hard is it to get it back on time.

Just mark your timing belt at both cam sprocket timing marks, and down on the crank sprocket. The best thing to remember, to make the TB part of the job easier, is that there are 38 1/2 teeth (on the belt) from the timing mark on 1 cam to the timing mark on the other.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back