The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How much HP does a 3" turboback add???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krott5333

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2002
Erie_PA
Okay. For arguments sake...

How much horsepower is added (flywheel, and WHP) with a full 3" turboback, on a stock 1g dsm. If you have numbers for a 2g, thatll be good too. Please, no guesses, i need facts, dynos, personal experiences, etc.

this is assuming that you are still running stock boost then correct? 7.28 just seems way to low. what about a CAT or race pipe?

Your best bet would be to add that and an MBC to turn up the boost with. You will see big gains, but they will be a lot less dramatic if you still use a CatCon.

I wanna know what a 3" turboback will add to a completely stock dsm. The turboback includes a test pipe, no Cat. Thanks

i dont have anynumbers for you, but the improvement is very noticable, plus it will compliment any future upgrades.

Originally posted by krott5333
I wanna know what a 3" turboback will add to a completely stock dsm. The turboback includes a test pipe, no Cat. Thanks

put one on and then dyno your car. thanks

Ummm... okay, first of all, I dont have a DSM yet. Thanks
Second of all, if it was that easy for me, why would I ask a question? Thanks
Third of all, unless you have something to contribute, dont contribute. Thanks

Thanks again.

Holy crap dude, don't get super mad because people want to put in their 2 cents. Thanks. This is a forum so of course your going to hear alot more than just a simple straight answer. Thanks. And I'm sure no one goes out and buys a 3" exhaust then goes and gets it put on a dyno... Thanks. So I guess your just going to have to go with what people think they get out of the exhaust. Thanks.

depending on boost and modifications, I would have to agree with about 20 whp. If you don't like the replys your getting than go do the research yourself. Thanks :mad:

I wasn't trying to be an A$$, but the guy tells me to go dyno a car i dont have. If I could i would, obviously. I just wanted to know what other people got from their 3" exhaust, due to arguments sake, my friend and I are debating to how much it will give on a stock DSM. And I tried to "do the research", I did a search on here and on dsmtalk and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated, and I do plan on making a 3" turboback my first mod when I do get a DSM, so it would be of help and interest.

Well I answered best I soulc for you dude. I really don think anyone really wasted there time to dyno right after the exhaust install on n otherwise completely stock dsm. Id be willing to be it will make a difference on what exhaust you do get though, so try spekaing with the manufacturers about this. Most of em R/D before they make a product so try the first. My guess was about 20whp on a completely stock dsm in good working order and I bet Im not to far off considering you have a 3" turbo back w/test pipe and at leist a 3" muffler design.... but noone here really know for sure so try whoever you buy the exhaust from for details.

One of my friends gained 30 whp on the dyno with just a 3" half mandrel bent and half press bent. His only mods was an MBC at 15 psi. So I guess at stock boost should be about 20 hp.

here are some whp numbers from turbo magazines dyno cell:

190.6 baseline 4g63
201.8 k&n filter
215.5 exhaust
220.7 downpipe
251.3 spearco fmic
259.9 high flow cat
271.5 teamrip mass
299.1 16g turbo
307.2 afc
319.8 mbc
327.2 550cc injectors
339.3 cower cams
342.4 crane ignition
355.2 t3/t4 at 15psi
378.1 t3/t4 at 18psi
397.3 venom intake mani
417.3 ported head at 19psi
428.2 garrett gt3040 turbo
437.8 intercooler chiller kit

Quickersol:

I was going to post that from tTurbo also. You shold write out the torque with the HP numbers and post a new topic about it. Hopefully they will make it a sticky since you will never get those numbers again (Who is going to dyno test after EVERY mod on a car?)

no way it adds 20hp, if I was going through you guys math my car would probably be 350hp right now, like the dudes with T-25 who advertise their rice cars on ebay at 300hp with a T25.

I got a custom 3" exaust welded in a shop, K&N Air Filter, Dejon Tools Intercooler Piping (Upper, S and Lower pipe), 1st Gen Eclipse Blow Off Valve, AGP T28 Turbocharger ported @ 16psi, Walbro 255LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump, NGK Spark Plugs & Wire Set, 2 1/2" intake pipe from Dejon Tool and I believe I'm probably running 250-260hp, I'm going to dyno soon. I raced a friend with same turbo and we were together and he got a 5spd, full exaust too and some other mods so there's nothing wrong with my car.

But I raced a completely stock old BMW M3 which is 240hp on the highway and he didn't even downshift and still was faster.

Well I saw the dyno session and the sheets with my very own eyes. Yes it added 30 whp.

I got a custom 3" exaust welded in a shop, K&N Air Filter, Dejon Tools Intercooler Piping (Upper, S and Lower pipe), 1st Gen Eclipse Blow Off Valve, AGP T28 Turbocharger ported @ 16psi, Walbro 255LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump, NGK Spark Plugs & Wire Set, 2 1/2" intake pipe from Dejon Tool and I believe I'm probably running 250-260hp, I'm going to dyno soon. I raced a friend with same turbo and we were together and he got a 5spd, full exaust too and some other mods so there's nothing wrong with my car.

You don't have the front mount, the injectors, or the AFC.

AFC + 550cc injectors = more fun

You cant really equivilate that story to this man. 240hp for those mods isnt really impressive to me at all tell you the truth. My brother 240sx dynoed 250whp with a FMIC, exhaust and fuel pump thats it! Blah dee da, everyone has stories about there own stuff but unless someone has done it then noone should really say what it will give. tsi92 said he saw a dyno sheet. I was just guessing that with a 3" o2 back w/test pipe (which is very nice compared to stock) you could get 20whp pretty easy, which would put an awd around 200whp :thumb:

just seems kinda gran turismoish to me that an exaust would add 30hp. But then again I don't know how restrictive the 1g exaust is, the 2g I know it's already pretty big (2").

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back