The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

how much boost can a 420a handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm_4g63

Probationary Member
Mar 28, 2008
corpus chirsti, Texas
i'm not really familiar with the 420a as much as the 4g63..

1.) for a turbo upgrade is it required for wiring harness and ecu upgrades? because of my knowledge there wasn't a 420a dsm factory turbo'd.
* so would there be any ecu upgrades to add with the turbo?
2.)i hear alot about the turbo upgrades but there only rated for aroun 8psi.
* so could it be able to make 20-25psi out of a motor with:

- forged eagle rods
- je pistons
- Clevite main Bearing
- maybe be bore out not sure yet of that?
- with 2mm bored intake value
- .05mm bored exaust value
- apr head studs
- head gasket

3.)would this be able to handle more boost, i could really fine a 420a with alot of boost.

Yes the 420a can handle the boost your talking about. There is no wiring harness or anything of that nature. The biggest thing is the fuel system. You have to upgrade the pump,injectors, fpr etcetcetc. Alot of guys go with a sfmu and have good results up to 20psi or so but a betern ignition is needed for timing and what not from what i have read and been told. There are a great deal of peoplr running msns for there fuel and timing needs(dsmlink of 420a) and some run the hahn portfueler which is an 8 injector set up. So basicly if its set up and tuned properly it will run 20psi everyday

thats cool have you heard more about the pnp megasquit suposly coming out soon..

i was also wondering on this i found that some neon turbo kits are cheaper to buy than ours the do go off the same block and doesn't the manny come off the block.. dumb question i should know..LOL but whats probaly cost would i be looking at for the tuning that would be involved with to go with that..

so basicaly i'll have $1600 plus to throw around and then a grand every month and only weekends to work on stuff for the car.. so i'm looking to do it right and stuff i don't know i'll have the money to learn to do it right.. hopfully the first time...

alot depends on what your goals are on what you have to do as far as a fuel set up and tuning. Its all differant but the same in some cases but again depends on what you want out off your car. If you go witha basic fuel set up, fmu stock in jectors and fuel pump theres not really any tuning you can do and you can only run i think 12psi max. If you go sfmu and bigger injectors its more tuneable and a pretty good set up and you can use an afc to fine tune your idle and off boost fuel a little. Then you have msns or portfueler which is more tuneable and really the way to go. If your going for big boost youll need an aftermarket ignition like msd or crane. So again do some searching and see what others have done and what not, and again it all depends on your goals and how much you want to spend. From what you said above about what you have to spend, you could have a killer set up ina pretty short time. Hope some of this helps

With $1600, you will not have enough to afford built internals and turbo the car.

yeah i'm looking at getting the bottom end built with forged eagle rods je pistons and some other stuff but I'm probably getting the turbo after April..

I agree with absolute_dsm

pistons and rods would come around close to 700 or 800 depending where you get them,cutting your $ in half.
then comes the manifold which can vary. dont forget you also need the turbo itself. plus teh EMS and injectors and this and that

^^^^
1600,id say u be alil over half way done

BUT see as how you said youd have 1k a month coming to you,I gues you could have it done by June,July if u work slow

Ps.cams for more power

I would say everything you listed, Plus portfueler (enough fuel for roughly 30psi or 500hp) 20g and FMIC,
Keep in mind that a 420a at 8 psi will make 240-260hp, Thats what allot of 4g63 guys dont understand, The reason is timing advance, Which is why we cant run more than about 15-18psi without a MSD or mega squirt. Just do some searching and see what other members are doing and their horse power. What are your goals for this car?

When i said hed beable to build a killer set up it was cause he has 1600 and then 1000 a month, i didnt mean right away. good luck with your build man and keep us updated

well basically my goals for this car is to make a boosted 420a daily driver. with what car guy said about the 8 psi making 240hp would that be off stock interals?

basically this car is free and i'm going down to look at it tomorrow.
so of course i'm going to start throwing money to it and making it better..

so the goals i have for this car is. to make it a V8 basher and race my brother mustang and show him a little 4banger can take his mustang. so i would say i'm looking toward or upwards of 350hp plus with around 20+ psi.

could this be accomplished with just building the bottem end and a turbo with the upgraded fuel system and the msns or the portfueler? any other engine management for our cars that would work?

The msns and portfueler are your best options. There are others but you dont hear much about them and there isnt nearly as much help and support so your best bet is to stick with one of those two.

There are many people on here who use msns besides their site but you can get all the needed info from them and use it as a full replacement rather than just a piggyback, or just use it for what you need. Portfueler has Hahn behind it of course and a few people who use it as well so any info or help you need is within easy reach. For total control and tuning ability I would suggest the msns as others might but thats up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

well basically my goals for this car is to make a boosted 420a daily driver. with what car guy said about the 8 psi making 240hp would that be off stock interals?

basically this car is free and i'm going down to look at it tomorrow.
so of course i'm going to start throwing money to it and making it better..

so the goals i have for this car is. to make it a V8 basher and race my brother mustang and show him a little 4banger can take his mustang. so i would say i'm looking toward or upwards of 350hp plus with around 20+ psi.

could this be accomplished with just building the bottem end and a turbo with the upgraded fuel system and the msns or the portfueler? any other engine management for our cars that would work?

If you go to a portfueler with 15 psi you should have about 350hp, Thats with a built bottom end. Now hahn claims their hahn stage 2 setup with fmic at 8psi will make 250 to 275 HP on stock motor. I plan to run a SFMU on stock 4g63 injectors at 15psi and hope to have well over 300hp, But i have built bottom end, stage 3 head, 272 cams, ect., It sounds like the portfueler is the best thing for you because you can throw it on there and run 15 psi (with built bottom end) and make well over 300hp and then if you want more throw a MSD on there and crank up the boost and make up to 500hp.

i've been waiting to hear back for info on the pnp msns.. i think that i'm just going to park the car since for one the cops decided to take my license for save keeping. so i think i just might do a little more research on the 420a and find a good setup for running a turbo and wait for the pnp msns to be released.

so does anyone know a good site to look for info on what would be a good setup, like i said earlier i've been slowly budgeting to were i'll have around if not 1k to spend every month on this car.

Are all of the 420a motors closed deck?

i'm not really familiar with the 420a as much as the 4g63..

1.) for a turbo upgrade is it required for wiring harness and ecu upgrades? because of my knowledge there wasn't a 420a dsm factory turbo'd.
* so would there be any ecu upgrades to add with the turbo?
2.)i hear alot about the turbo upgrades but there only rated for aroun 8psi.
* so could it be able to make 20-25psi out of a motor with:

- forged eagle rods
- je pistons
- Clevite main Bearing
- maybe be bore out not sure yet of that?
- with 2mm bored intake value
- .05mm bored exaust value
- apr head studs
- head gasket

3.)would this be able to handle more boost, i could really fine a 420a with alot of boost.

1. fmu and safc would help, stand alone would be best. Youll need injectors and a pump for sure.

2. 8 psi is for stockish motors. you can do more but it wont last long. Ask anyone with a stock turbo honda or na motor and see how long they lasted pushing more than 10 psi.

Its cause the motor is not made for boost its made for na, high compression piston etc...

The valve job(value :tease:) youll see better results out of porting and polish, cams, or 3-5 angle valve job.

3. You could put all those parts into it and make it shit its gut out at 5 psi.
You have no fuel management, engine management, etc, all you have is a very expensive BOOM!

silver bullit go back to your 4g63 threads :p Naw im proud of you, you've done some research :thumb: To OP yea pnp mega squirt would be a good option but its gonna be pricey...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back