How is engine load calculated?

Posted by Mirage1, May 25, 2005
Tuning & Engine Management - 4G63 EPROMS, ECU, MAF, knock, EGT, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

1. Mirage1

Mirage1 Proven Member

Apache Junction, Arizona
    On my 2G with a Pocketlogger I am logging 18-20% load at idle. The car is basically stock. Does this mean anything and if so, how is the engine load calculated? I tried a search and came up with nothing.

Thanks!
  2. taylorspl

taylorspl Proven Member

Tucson, Arizona
    There is a post somewhere in this thread about load at idle. I have no idea how its calculated I just thought you might want to read this.
  3. Mirage1

Mirage1 Proven Member

Apache Junction, Arizona
    Thanks Taylor. A local SW DSM member too!

I read that thread earlier. But I'm still interested in how engine load is calculated. I want to get as much info as possible. Most likely my problem is retarded timing. Which is one of the symptoms I'm still troubleshooting. But it is on a 2G 7-bolt. The others in that post seem to all have 6-bolts. Also, I have already verified that the cam timing is dead on.

I did lower the boost down to 13-14psi and it seems a little more stable. So I am thinking that I was running to much boost for my setup. I will test it out more tomorrow and get some more logs.
  4. taylorspl

taylorspl Proven Member

Tucson, Arizona
    This is taken from this page. There is a dsm ecu yahoo list and I think theres a forum out there somewhere too. If you keep looking you'll find more I'm sure.