The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How does a 1g BOV sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough

Proven Member
Nov 12, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Installed the 1G BOV, Sounds great! This is how it will sound with the stock intake pipe.
Please note, once you modify or upgrade your intake pipe, you lose this sound. This is how it sounds before cutting this BOV re circulation pipe.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This unique sound is really caused from the re circulation tube that narrows at the end of the tube that's protruding in your intake pipe.

Another View

and one more from the other side, this tube is huge and blocked at least 30-40% of the flow!

And here is it removed, I used a dremel, it's not perfect, as I've upgraded to a Injen. Did this to see what kind of gains my butt feels, and to see how it affects the BOV"S sound.

Here is my finished results, I sanded all around and inside and outsde the edges to make sure no plastic pieces would come off and get sucked into the turbo.

Once installed, I felt a pretty good gain by the butt o meter feeling, but the sound... is just awful! Just like a quick gush of pressurized air with a lot of volume! NOOO I loved the sound before the mod!! But the but feeling noticed a gain, and now my turbo spools faster, gets to 15+ PSI quick, and doesn't fall on it's face as bad up top!

Will post video of this modification in action. I would have the video already, but it's raining out and I can't build boost without the spinning tire sound drowning the blow off sound.

The crushed 1g BPV on my AWD Talon sounds like a throaty whoosh. Yours sounds like a whistle. Could just be the camera's microphone.

Speed density and hard IC pipes makes the BPV very loud. I don't like it because of how much attention it brings though. Sounds like the car is sneezing.

I won't crush one, but I'm working on dodge modding one :) It sounds just like you hear! It's a whistle sound! It's pretty loud, people always look. I don't have that problem now, about to go on break and get a vid of the new sound, I hate it :(

I have all hard pipes for my fmic except the intake elbow/ bov pipe, and the stock intake pipe. Upgraded to a Injen, just have to install when it stops raining :(

Speed density removes the maf?

Venting Would make my car run like kaka since it's accounting for that air and will dump fuel in for that air, even if it's missing, I've not modded to that point or tuned the car to be able to run decently while non recirculated :(
Upgrading from the 2g BOV to the 1G bov was a nice boost in performance. Sound stayed the same.
I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade to the 16g before I even think about non recirculated.
Thanks for your feedback Jusmx141!

BTW what BOV would cost less then a 50$ 1g? and be more reliable?
All the brand name BOV's are 200$+

We know venting causes the car to run poorly, that's what JusMX141 was saying (he just didn't put a comma). Swapping out BPVs themselves doesn't make for huge performance gains or losses. It's the boost leaks that are what cause poor performance. The plastic 2g BPV is notorious for leaks, as you know. The stock 1g is better, but it's not perfect either. My stock 1g BPV (crushed by the previous owner) on my AWD Talon leaks at just 5psi.

If you want a better BPV for less than $200, check the classifieds on this site and Craigslist for a used specimen.

And yes, the MAF can be eliminated with speed density (SD) because it is no longer used to record the incoming air. I guess you could leave the honeycomb MAF in there, but it would just serve as a restriction, which is part of the reason someone would use SD - to increase airflow. It also acts as a sound dampner in regards to the BPV.

SD works off of two sensors and an aftermarket tuning solution, like ECMlink or AEM. The first sensor is a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor that senses the pressure inside the intake manifold. The second sensor is the IAT (intake ambient temperature) sensor, often mounted on the upper IC pipe or on the elbow just before the throttle body. I've read about people not using an IAT, but it came in the kit I bought.

Only 5 psi and leaks? I have 2 other 1G BOV's, I will be testing all 3 with my boost leak tester, if any of them leak like yours I got a 45 that will help fix it permanently! :D

I check the classifieds religiously, those sweet deals are only alive for a few minutes!

I will check out the speed density kits, I'd love to ditch the MAF, free up that restriction and space.

Times like this I'm like WTF, I've read probably 100's of threads about the BOV's and which way to go, and most were all for the modded 1g.
I should have probably checked the dates, as I'm betting that was way old information :(
Thanks for your information, this site keeps my mind fresh by learning every day!

BTW what BOV would cost less then a 50$ 1g? and be more reliable?
All the brand name BOV's are 200$+

Granted, but you're also comparing used to new. A new 1g BOV is still around 150-200$. Not saying it isn't good, but don't compare apples and oranges. Ask the guys with GTRs that have our BOVs how much a replacement is ;)

It should be $150-200, it's the same as ours LOL

Attachments

• 0805_turp_03_z+2009_nissan_gtr+engine.jpg
    0805_turp_03_z+2009_nissan_gtr+engine.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 499
The rain wouldn't let up, but I still got an alright example,. These videos are with the 1g bov with modified stock intake pipe
[DOUBLEPOST=1413415072][/DOUBLEPOST]
Granted, but you're also comparing used to new. A new 1g BOV is still around 150-200$. Not saying it isn't good, but don't compare apples and oranges. Ask the guys with GTRs that have our BOVs how much a replacement is ;)
I didn't realize the gtr's used the 1g bov style, I'm betting they are revised to hold boost better and more of it! Before your post I thought 1g bovs were no longer made, thank you for educating me :)

We know venting causes the car to run poorly, that's what JusMX141 was saying (he just didn't put a comma). Swapping out BPVs themselves doesn't make for huge performance gains or losses. It's the boost leaks that are what cause poor performance. The plastic 2g BPV is notorious for leaks, as you know. The stock 1g is better, but it's not perfect either. My stock 1g BPV (crushed by the previous owner) on my AWD Talon leaks at just 5psi.

If you want a better BPV for less than $200, check the classifieds on this site and Craigslist for a used specimen.

And yes, the MAF can be eliminated with speed density (SD) because it is no longer used to record the incoming air. I guess you could leave the honeycomb MAF in there, but it would just serve as a restriction, which is part of the reason someone would use SD - to increase airflow. It also acts as a sound dampner in regards to the BPV.

SD works off of two sensors and an aftermarket tuning solution, like ECMlink or AEM. The first sensor is a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor that senses the pressure inside the intake manifold. The second sensor is the IAT (intake ambient temperature) sensor, often mounted on the upper IC pipe or on the elbow just before the throttle body. I've read about people not using an IAT, but it came in the kit I bought.

I would say that they are as close to perfect if modded right as you are gonna get as long as you aren't making a ton of power and require a bigger valve. Crushing them never really worked well. When you do the dodge garage mod to them they will hold 30+ psi and still work very efficiently. I really don't see a reason to buy an aftermarket one when the stock one will work for most people if modded properly.

I'm only on the t25 still, so crazy boost isn't real in my world right now :D Just to see what she "the t-25" would do, she would hit 20psi @ 4 grand and fall off to around 10 at 5.5, then make that horrible turbo back flow noise :( I have her set to 15psi right now, she holds it all day long, and gets there in the low 3k's.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

^^ turn it down to stock or get a 14b bro!! That t25 won't last but a few months maybe weeks at anything above stock boost! Depends on the mileage but they don't like high boost bro. I think I had mine at 18psi for like a week or 2 and it started smoking bad LOL. Just saying be carful! Hope you have the fuel to support the extra airflow!?

And about the bov I found my new hks ssqv on here for $100 shipped and the thing is frickin brand new! And came with a recirc fitting and tune :)

I currently have my boost set at 15psi and it stays there, think stock psi is 12-14..
Just the one time I was seeing what she would do, but the turbo verbally said no before 5k.
I'm in the works for some new injectors, already have a 255 pump, and some fuel mods!
I'm missing summer already :(

On the 2g bov she would get to around 12-13.
Just upgrading the bov to the 1g she would sit pretty at 14

Fuel upgrades, tunning software "tactrix cable", and a 16g .. Not sure if a 14b is the route I want to go. Don't want to be upgrading my cars turbo like a hero in a mmo :D
From what i've read, seen, and learned, the 16g will be enough for a good while, till I can catch up in supporting mods to surpass the 16g.

i have a no name brand 3 in to 3 in intake pipe with a recirculation inlet. i'm running a stock non crushed 1G BOV and it not really loud at all. very similar to your second set of videos. Can't really hear it unless you're really WOT. It does have a really annoying whinning noise that you can hear if you rev in neutral and on decel. I've put on a crushed 1G BOV and the whinning sound is worse.

I may end up upgrading to a NGR, used Greddy, or try to find a dodge MOD 1G.

I could never find it in me to just crush one, the dodge garage mod seems the most reasonable to me.
I bought a few extra 1g bov's to mod, I might end up modding two, and selling one.

I have a new video to upload, since it's not raining today, will upload that shortly.

Whoever designed the 2g stock bov should be shot :)
Leaks more then a screen basket holding water.

my stock 1G should be fine for me now. this past weekend i BLT it up to 20PSI until it started leaking. i need to figure out what tools i need to make the DM upgrade. Looks like a lot of tools i don't have and don't really want to go gather just to use probably one time. if you build an extra i would be interested in one depening on price.

LMK.

Have the right mods for a 14b and it will take you pretty far bro! If you go with a 16g might as we'll make it a evo3 16g and make it really worth it. But you will need more supporting mods to handle that flow!

my stock 1G should be fine for me now. this past weekend i BLT it up to 20PSI until it started leaking. i need to figure out what tools i need to make the DM upgrade. Looks like a lot of tools i don't have and don't really want to go gather just to use probably one time. if you build an extra i would be interested in one depening on price.

LMK.

I'll keep ya in mind when I'm doing them :D My old man has always had a stocked garage which i'm thankful for, 2 hours drive, but well worth it, plus I get to see the rents :)
From what I see, You just need a dremel, best 60$ ever spent, love mine,

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html

Explains step by step, should be easy :) Looks like

To do the mod you will need
  • 10-24 standard tap

• 6 mm tap and die

• 1/8 & 9/64 drill bit and drill

• brake line cutting tool

• short piece of 3/16 steel brake line

• JB weld epoxy

• 10-24 x 3/16 set screw (I got mine from Home Depot)

• Allen key for set-screw

• Brake cleaner

• WD-40
Standard garage stuff :)

Have the right mods for a 14b and it will take you pretty far bro! If you go with a 16g might as we'll make it a evo3 16g and make it really worth it. But you will need more supporting mods to handle that flow!

I've not done much research on the 14b, think I just may :) The evo 16g is my on my wishlist right now!

post #13 video second video link, watch carefully at 0:10 a squirrel crosses street right in front of you LOL.
awesome post thanks for the info on here.
And do upload a non rainny vid please, from what I can hear there definitely is a difference in sound.

Yea I seen the squirrel, i'm just glad he ran to the right instead of the left! He chilled too long and made me start slowing up, but better the smoking him!
I got the non rainy vid, just need to leave this dungeon I work in to upload it!
The sound coming from the modification is kinda growing on me, I can really tell the difference between the modified stock intake pipe and the non modified, Installing my injen intake and i'll follow up with another vid of that one!
I've seen so many video's of people trying to demonstrate the sound, video's were not great quality, nore was the sounds, hopefully my work/time/video's/pics helps someone out, or fulfills their curiosity!

after talking to my brother i think the only thing i/we don't have is the steel brake line, set screw and JB weld. guess i'm gonig to be doing this mod soon!

Probably won't eliminate the whistling noise though. oh well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back