The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How do you check crankshaft end play?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1FAST2G

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2002
La Puente, California
How do you check crankshaft end play? I want to check my car for crank walk and I want to know how. I've tried searching but I couldn't find the exact procedure.

The easiest way is to use feeler gauges.

GENTLY pry the crank all the way toward the front (pulley side) of the block. Slip feeler gauges between the crank and front face of the thrust bearing to figure out the clearance.

The correct and most accurate way to do this is with a dial indicator. Put the car on a lift, remove the flywheel cover, attach the dial indicator to the engine or transmission, place the plunger of the indicator against the flywheel, gently push the crank toward the transmisson with a prybar, zero the indicator, push the crank back the other way, take your reading.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry about the long sentence.

Ps. Why are we suddenly all answering a five year old question?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back