The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

how do you change an alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemist

Probationary Member
Sep 11, 2009
chicago, Illinois
how do i change an alternator? please list the steps
my car's been dead for a month now because of the dead alternator my friend just got me a new one and plan to do it myself. I saw the youtube videos on how to remove an alternator but i just want to insure that I am doing the process right so it wont break down on me again.

It's pretty simple. You need to remove the driverside splash guard in the wheel well. Disconnect the electrical connections on the alternator. Loosen the tension and lock bolts on the alternator. Then loosen the pivot bolt at the bottom of the alternator. Push up on the alternator until you can remove the belt. Then pull the pivot bolt out through the driver side wheel well. Alternator may take some convincing but it should drop right out. Reverse process and you are all set.

Attached a pic

Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and make sure you unplug all the wires to the alternator

1st, You wanna loosen the 12mm tensioner circled in red, this will allow you to move the alternator up/down so that you can slip off the belt..

2nd, There is a bolt/nut which is circled in blue, under the car is best way to reach it.

After that your good to go.

Attachments

• Alt.JPG
    Alt.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 11,168
Guess what you sounded like? Seriously; guess...

I do not know if the 2G alternator mounting is similar to the 1G but if it is, it really helps to remove the radiator fan. With the fan out of the way, it is a lot easier to access the alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back