The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G how cars grow in the wild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jack Silver

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2014
Lincoln, Rhode_Island
So I picked up this car like a year ago. Just never got around to looking at it. Yeah just a impulse buy, but it was a good deal at the time. It is at my buddy's campground in the back like a hour away so never really had the time to go out there and check it out but screw it got some free time now during the summer. It is a 1991 eclise gsx not sure on the part list just yet I know it had a bunch of parts into it. Need to get it out of the woods to work on it LOL. But it turns over no fire but seems to turn fine need a little tlc. Here are some pics of day one.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So this is where so she been sitting for a very long time.

It took about 4 ropes breaking to get her this far out of the dirt and bushes aka pile of red strap rope all broke on the side there.

Flats all around fun times plus the ass was just draging.

I hooked it up to my subaru see what would happen surprisingly turned over smoothly but no start no sign of starting either. I believe my friend own it before me parked because of a no start issue.

had some ants living in where the kit panel goes that was fun killing them

Back seat and other crap deffly not installed dont know what im going to do with that its staying there for now LOL. So this is my first DSM so just want some pointers I guess. This is a side project not trying to make it a daily. I know my way around a car just like common problems and what to look for to get this baby started and running again. more pics to come as I work on it.

That thing is pretty damn rough man. I wish you good luck with it. One thing I'd be worried about if it were mine is what the condition of the timing belt looks like. How long it's been sitting and if the belt is dry rotted or anything else. If it's turning over then at least the motor is free. Maybe try pulling a plug and grounding it and seeing if you're getting spark. The CAS might be bad and I'm pretty sure that's a valid reason for a no start condition. If you've got spark then find out if it's getting any fuel.

Thanks for your input I know she is rough shape but I don't got any other cars just laying around LOL I'm going check over the basic fuel spark compression maybe this weekend but I'll look into the CAS it might be the original problem.

I'd almost bet the caps are fried in the computer. Does the boost gauge go to zero when the key is turned on?

well I've seen worse.
make sure you clean out the fuel tank.
in addition to the cas, it might also be a bad coil pack or power transistor, bad spark plug wires, a low to no fuel condition.
inspect for any loose, damaged,
or corroded wires [and there connectors]
on any of the above mentioned sensors.
also check all the fluids and inspect the hoses for cracks too.

It sure looks like a lot of work, but I reckon it's definitely worth it to fix it up.

Yeah man that fuel tank is probably rusted which can plug up the fuel filter and injectors. I had that problem. Also rusts up the fuel pump.

It was said already but my personal experience, I swapped a working set of coils, transistor, new plugs and wires.no luck. Read on here to check the ecu for leaking capacitors. The capacitors were leaking, swapped ecu's started right up.

It was said already but my personal experience, I swapped a working set of coils, transistor, new plugs and wires.no luck. Read on here to check the ecu for leaking capacitors. The capacitors were leaking, swapped ecu's started right up.
^^^This
He should crack open the ecu anyway just to see if the gsx has an e-prom ECU.http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/epromid

but yeah, you wanna look for leaking capaciters and or any burnt spots, or any of the obvious signs of damage.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/ecurepairhome
the op should check out these links.

Since the interior's already out you might as well gut it, I'm a sucker for gutted cars :p
Jokes aside though, nice find, and even nicer that it turns over! My dad and I have brought some cars in similar situations back to life, most recently a 3000GT VR4, so you can do this! All it takes is determination, some money, and time. Before you dive into it though I'd inspect the undercarriage, our VR4 wound up having a lot more rust than we found when we looked at it the first time. I don't know how badly cars rust in rhode island but if a car's been sitting for a long time it's a good idea to check. Took countless hours for us to fix. We probably would have just parted it out if we knew how much rust it had, but in a way I'm glad we didn't because the thing's a beast! If the underside is clean enough to work with though, go for it!

Key spots to check for rust are strut towers in the front (although those look pretty good from what I can see), rocker panels (the panel under the door that's covered by the sideskirt), and the rear underside, around the gas tank and rear subframe. If you decide to take your sideskirts off be careful about it, they break easy :p

Like everyone's saying, check spark, fuel, compression, all the usual stuff. Like others, I'm willing to bet it's the ECU or the gas, whether it be bad gas in the tank or a rusted fuel tank.

If you can get it running first step is definitely a timing belt and 60K kit, extremepsi.com and stmtuned.com sell great kits, but that's a matter for the future haha.

Thanks for all the post you guys much appreciated. I believe when I try to turn it over the boost gauge did nothing, so deffly got to check out the ecu plus the other basics spark ext. Insomniac13 thanks man for the key rust spot deffly check them out once off the ground.

Sorry on the wait for uploading a update just got her home yesterday I found one of the the problem that it wont start cracked open ecu, caps leaked got to get that fixed wondering if any one knows of a local place I can get them fix in southern new england and I not just doing it myself aka I'll probley f*** it up :nono: so here some pics I cleaned her alittle bit after I got her home[DOUBLEPOST=1410007258][/DOUBLEPOST]

you kinda see the leak in this pic

Last edited:
Damn that thing doesn't look too bad for sitting out in the wilderness for a while, good luck with it!

That lawn ornament cleaned up nice!

+1 to ECM Tuning for the ECU repair.

hey sorry guys I been busy lately with school and works all this other bs but i sent out my ecu to ECM tunning in short the ecu wasnt turning on due to the cap leak so the fixed it up and sent it back to me just put it in the car yesterday and boom it fired up pretty pumped about it:hellyeah:got a video of its first start
[DOUBLEPOST=1413919573][/DOUBLEPOST]next project is to find a way to cover and mount this injector resistor box

any ideas ??

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back