how can i tell if my timing is off?

Posted by Sephroth57, Jul 13, 2004
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

1. Sephroth57

Sephroth57 Proven Member

Barnegat, New_Jersey
    my car is just slow feeling, ive posted about this before and people have thrown every idea they can think of i checked it all nothing helps. the only thing left i can think of is my timing, i read somoene elses post with similar problems and it turned out his timing was retarded 4 degrees. could this possibly be my problem? i have a logger, would there be a way to figure this out through my logger or would i have to physicly check somehow, and how would i go about doing that?
  2. DSMeclipse4G63

DSMeclipse4G63 Proven Member

columbia, Maryland
    ignition timing or cam/crank timing? both can and will affect driveablilty/performance. You can chack ignition timing on your logger, engine timing youll need a timing light and youll need a manual to know what correct timing is. Have you done anything to change engine timing or do you think it jumped a tooth?
    Andrew
  3. mitsugsx95

mitsugsx95 Proven Member

-, Illinois
    You could just turn the crank and see where your cam marks are. That would give you a rough estimate whether or not your timing is off, but to be precise, you would have to actually look at the crank gear and cam gears to read it correctly.