The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A horn doesn't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I just picked up a 98 rs for my gf for $800. Runs great, but the horn doesn't work. Fuse and relay are good. Where is the actual horn located on a 420a? Could it just be a corroded wire? Are there two horns, and of so what are the chances that they both don't work?

Last edited:
Maybe the switch inside your steering wheel did melt, if fuses and relays work, unscrew the front cover of your steering wheel (where the airbag is) and check if the horn sounds by taking the wire and making it contact with ground (the metal of the steering wheel will work nice as it is the nearest ground). This way you can check if the horn is bad or the switches are.

I think it's more common for the buttons on the steering wheel to stop working. Mine got very finicky, and eventually stopped working altogether. I'd try what IronSevenFold suggested :)

Well this car had front end damage right where the horn is located, so I pulled a horn off my wrecked gs and im gonna try to swap them. Do you think I can just reach up under the bumper to detatch, or do I have to remove the bumper? The entire drivers side of my gs is destroyed so I can't tell.

It'd probably be a pain with the bumper on, save yourself the headaches and just remove the bumper first.

The horns might even be connected if there was front end damage, the body/repair shop may have just overlooked plugging them back in. If you are hearing the relay click then it's not the steering wheel that has gone bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back