The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hood vent take II

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperXX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Royston, Georgia
Made this today as well since center I'm bored.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Painted, just sitting on the hood.

Last edited:
Its not to bad looking, it may have looked better it attached from the bottom, there is a red laser from RI that may have exactly what you are looking for, but i for the life of me cannot find any pics at the moment, his name is kyle c.

Looks better, it could even be longer. Is it mounted in the last picture or did you put it on the hood to see what it was going to look like.

Looks better, it could even be longer. Is it mounted in the last picture or did you put it on the hood to see what it was going to look like.

It's just sitting on the hood. I'm not going to mount any vent to the hood until a hot summer day and I do some pulls back to back to see what underhood temps get up too. I'm hoping once I get the new FMIC setup settled and ducting in place it wont be needed, but it might. So i'd like to have something ready to go if it is.

Nice planning ahead! Are you on the Evo 3 16g or do you have something else? What intercooler core do you have now?

MHI Evon III 16g, currently. OEM SMIC @ 20PSI due to creep.. LOL somehow it's still not knocking, and making decent power considering. Though I'm sure if I stayed in through 3rd and into 4th it would start.

Got to port the shit out of the waste gate passage apparently...thought externally gated and dumped to atmosphere would have cured the creep, nope. Rich tune with like -7 degrees timing over factory timing map for most of the rpm range where you would be under boost at WOT...so like 4,000rpm to red line 3500rpm I think it's like -4 or so.

About to upgrade finally from DSMLINK to ECMLINK too, which won't help power much but eager to get it for the direct access tuning and might go SD this summer.

I may just modify the Vibrant FMIC I have if it does that sell. The cross feed, I hate it. Needs to feed from the rear side of the end tanks so I can put my fog lights back on....and run short route piping get so I can do a custom cold air intake box...

Lots of stuff waiting on other stuff to get done before I can start on it.

MHI Evon III 16g, currently. OEM SMIC @ 20PSI due to creep.. LOL somehow it's still not knocking, and making decent power considering. Though I'm sure if I stayed in through 3rd and into 4th it would start.

Got to port the sh** out of the waste gate passage apparently...thought externally gated and dumped to atmosphere would have cured the creep, nope. Rich tune with like -7 degrees timing over factory timing map for most of the rpm range where you would be under boost at WOT...so like 4,000rpm to red line 3500rpm I think it's like -4 or so.

About to upgrade finally from DSMLINK to ECMLINK too, which won't help power much but eager to get it for the direct access tuning and might go SD this summer.

I may just modify the Vibrant FMIC I have if it does that sell. The cross feed, I hate it. Needs to feed from the rear side of the end tanks so I can put my fog lights back on....and run short route piping get so I can do a custom cold air intake box...

Lots of stuff waiting on other stuff to get done before I can start on it.
Porting it will do you good it's what I did and I have no issues at all with the larger flapper. And yeah the vent should be a lot bigger, there's plenty of 1G examples with vented hoods to go by

Made this today as well since center I'm bored.

Painted, just sitting on the hood.

I think it's too small too. You could consider the reverse hood style
.:D

Well, the H2o vac/pressure gauge showed up...man that thing is sensitive. Unfortunately I removed the ECU today to remove DSMLink, since I'm finally upgrading to ECMLink. But Im going to start fooling around with the gauge, mounting solutions, running line to fixed points etc. on my daily beater. Soon as the upgrade is installed and she's up and running again, i'll start posting pressure/vac data at various points on the 1Ga hood, as well as perhaps a few other locations on the body.

ya I like the reverse hood design better as well. It looks cleaner to me.
Plus the little boxy ones like you have here give the car a cheesy look like. I do think they look better when they are wider though and really low profile. Most importantly is function though I guess.

I took a picture in a car show. It seems weird at first to me, but after reflection i found this very interesting.
Not very rain proof, we should call it: THE ultimate hood vent

I havent forgotten about testing the air pressure areas on the hood, it's just taken a back seat to getting other stuff straightened out a d trying to solve cooling / aero problems without a hood vent.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back