The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

hood vent or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green97gstspyder

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
newark, Delaware
So I'm debating on a hood vent. High coolant temps are my issue. I can see temps of 203 in the morning when it's still cool out with a 160 thermostat with 10 degree offset in link. I am running an hx35 turbo and ets street fmic with ac. I am running the stock shroud in front of condenser with hole cut to let the air from bumper vents in which are 350z vents. Rad is sealed to the condenser and I have a ebay pusher fan wired with relay for ac fan and the derale h.o. fan rated at 2200 cfm as a puller mounted to aluminum shroud which is sealed to cx racing radiator. I'm just sure where to go from here. A few ideas I've been tossing around are going back to stock fan, going back to 180 thermostat, making a chin spoiler to scoop cool air from behind fmic but the car sits pretty low, and a hood vent like the from rre. Any ideas are appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1408500889][/DOUBLEPOST]Heres a pic of bumper vents they narrow and funnel in so they aren't as big as they look.

Attachments

• 2014-08-19 22.13.18.jpg
    2014-08-19 22.13.18.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 1,663
Last edited:
Well I also thought of that as an idea for cooler air to my air intake. A lot of people said its not a good idea because it leads to turbulent air within the engine bay. But while I've decided not to. I would recommend getting one that looks like the driver sides hump so instead of one hump. You'll have two symmetrical humps. Or ignore all that and turn the already there hump into a hood vent.

I went with a hood vent from rre. It works great! I have no ducting yet but it will drop my coolant temps about 10 degrees while driving about 40 mph.

Other than the hood vent I have an afco radiator and a single 12" 1500 CFM maradyine pusher fan.
Pic of the rad is when I still had a mishimoto fan on it.

Granted I am non-turbo but the concept will still work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 1,049
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 705
I am also running 203 temps with a FMIC and retaining my stock fog lights so I am going to try a air dam/deflector under the car (yes they sit low but I'm willing to try it). I haven't got it tested yet as the car is down currently for a rod issue BUT I do know what will fit - 3rd gen Camaro air dams. They are WAY to tall but fit the underside perfectly as I have mine fabed up and have mounted it while it is on jack stands for the engine rebuild. I will have to cut it down with a dremel cutoff wheel (they are just plastic air dams) but plan on pulling any air that is getting under the car up to the radiator. It will be a while before I can post results, but since I also build Camaros and had a couple parts cars, I robbed one off of one of them and it is a great fit, just will need trimmed down. Just an idea I am going to try. The FMIC and fogs keep alot of air from getting to my radiator so this is just my attempt at getting some more air flow to the radiator. I am running 1 12" Spal pusher, 1 FLeebay 12" pusher (not near as good as Spal) and 1 factory passenger side fan. The pushers come on with the factory temp switch in the radiator and I have a toggle for the factory passerger side puller if I need it to pull down temps. These are just my mods, we will see how it works in a month or so when I get the engine back in her. I will post up the results when I get it running again with pictures. :thumb:

So my thoughts on fmic have been correct. So if the fmic does restrict air flow to the radiator. So. This may sound crazy, but let's say I get an intercooler. And its the kind with the gaps between the air pipes running from side to side. I decide to cut out the thin metal in between some of the rows in the middle. That would allow air to easily pass though the fmic to then get to the radiator. But since the radiator is untouched it would slightly make a pocket of air. So cold air would be getting to the radiator and it would still cool the compressed air. At least in theory it works so long as you don't cut into the air piping and make a boost leak.

Thinking a little outside the box. Instead of only trying to get more cool air in, think about ways of getting the hot air out.

After looking at wind tunnel pictures, there is a low pressure area at the bottom of the windshield. Seems to me that if you raise the back of the hood hot air would be sucked out and cooler air sucked in.

Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Has any noticed those forward facing hooks? Next to the hood hinges. What are those for? Are they crash locks. Like a front end collision and instead of the hood going though the window an chopping off our heads. Those two hooks grab it?

Most people how have the spacer between the hood hinges is drifter do that . But it's does let air out from there

the area between the hood and windshield is a low pressure area, which means air will be drawn into the engine bay if you raise/space the back of the hood and/or remove the weatherstripping

But doing that has the penalty of the hood not catching on the hooks. So if they are there to prevent the hood from entering the compartment. Spacing the back of the hood higher is dangerous. Not being carding of cautious. Just logical.

How bout getting some real fans!?! I highly doubt the eBay fan pushes what it says it does. I ran my eclipse last with only one stock fan always on high and my galant is the same with a fmic and had no heat issues. And if you want alittle extra air to go out the back of the hood. Instead of raising it just remove the weather stripping underneath towards the back, worked for me!

I did this on my track car 1g, we had some oiling issues that caused some smoking. You could REALLY see the smoke venting out the hood and over the car. We had NO temp issues the last race, wasnt that hot out, but no temp issues. Done real cheap and easy. Sliced a |______| into the hood. Rolled the flap downwards to 'catch' the air under the hood. Took a flat piece of sheel metal, bent in some 90's so it was the width of the new oppening and tacked it into place. Liked it so much, I did two vents.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm sure I could make one, but a bought would probably be better. Lol. I bought a 100.00 tubular manifold off eBay.[DOUBLEPOST=1408559047][/DOUBLEPOST]This exhaust manifold. I like it, but have read on here and other places its not a good manifold.

Attachments

• _20140714_233122.JPG
    _20140714_233122.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Those ebay don't pushed what they say the would I got one and it's sucks bad

The generalization of eBay parts by people here absolutely baffle me... There is this weird perception that everything you get from eBay is the same no matter what, it's all junk, if you got it off eBay then that's your problem. It's just like any other vendor, you can find junk or quality just depending on your research and selections. It reminds me of back when I used to be in high school where people would make fun of anything bought at K-Mart... You could buy the same Levis at K-Mart that you did at any other retailer, but if it's K-Mart, then it's "K-Mart fallapart"...

I'm running front hubs on my Dodge RAM 1500 that I bought years ago, not a problem... I have a couple of friends that have used eBay parts to rebuild their DSM motors, other various parts, and other vehicles entirely that are running strong and solid. Sorry for the rant, but I'd seen this foolishness so much that I just had to say something... It's like any other retailer or etailer, it's just a matter of what you buy and doing your research first.

Because it's been tested and proven that the eBay fans suck balls, and don't push anywhere close to the cfm's claimed!! Do your research before you back up all of eBay to much LOL! I've also run plenty of stuff from eBay, wasn't bashing eBay, and exactly right it's the seller not the site, sorry for not explaining myself better. Who knows maybe somehow the o.p. found a good seller with real world proof there fans work as they say, doubt it! So far from what I've seen unless its a name brand or proven fan that just doesn't claim but shows proof, its garbage eBay or Amazon or anywhere. It's just like everything else you buy in the world. Some people know what they are doing, most don't LOL.

Last edited:
^^ sure dude LOL! Because it's been tested and proven that the eBay fans suck balls, and don't push anywhere close to the cfm's claimed!! Do your research before you back up all of eBay to much LOL! I've also run plenty of stuff from eBay, wasn't bashing eBay, and exactly right it's the seller not the site, sorry for not explaining myself better. Who knows maybe somehow the o.p. found a good seller with real world proof there fans work as they say, doubt it!

I wasn't specifically defending the fans, but they aren't "eBay fans", they are fans bought from an eBay seller... Sure they may suck, but does that unilaterally mean that ALL fans sold on eBay are of the same poor quality?

To wolf, the only problem with your setup is with that manifold there's no where to bolt the shields. It looks like you may be able to use the stock lower half of the shield and cover the turbine and 02 housing atleast. If you have a stock or fp you would have more options. And there's nothing wrong with those mani's, I've used one in the past. No issues, came well made and hasn't cracked yet, and has seen plenty 12 sec passes. I used it without any shields, I also run my fans always on high thru link. You could try a turbine blanket and maybe even ceramic coat the mani, turbine, and 02 housing, that will def help.

Last edited:
I have a Spal and and Ebay fan. Using my 20 amp power supply at the house, I bench tested both for flow. Now I don't have any flow numbers but the Spal will move almost twice the air and the ebay fan was stated to move 1350 cfm but I think it is more like 600 just from the feel. You get what you pay for is all I can say. Nascar uses Spal so I think don't think they would go with a no name fan. Now you can buy a Spal on ebay and I would think it would work like Spal claims, just to set the record on stuff you can get on etailers, go with brand name stuff and you are probably still good. Better yet, support our supporting vendors and buy from them. Sometimes you can get a deal, just ask, all they can say is NO. MTC on the ebay subject.

Last edited:
Well I've been thinking of making a custom heat shield and either high heat resistant metal clamps. Or weld it to the manifold. But if you really think about it...how does it act as a heat shield if its just metal. Wouldn't you need a air system to also push the heat away from the engine. A turbo blanket is different since its not metal. So that's an idea I've been more open to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back