The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G "Honestly I have no clue what I even have" a cry for help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B00stAddictedGsx

Proven Member
Oct 10, 2016
bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! I come to you from my living room window looking out at my new (to me) 97 2g with a rocket bunny kit on it. I'm new to these cars and worse I pretty much know nothing about it. If you're wondering why I bought it. The answer would be that it was purchased at a steal and the seller was a nice guy as well as really helpful.

So before I start let me state that I have spent the last 3 weeks lurking around this website reading all the "newbie stuff" so I won't be asking what's the first mod I should do without first doing proper maintenance.

ok now that that's out of the way here's what I know has been done already. The eclipse is a 97 with 111k on it the timing, and clutch (possibly stage 2?) was done not too long ago. It has a 16g turbo, GReddy intercooler as well as BOV. The manual boost controller is currently set at 20 lbs and the turbo back exhaust sounds great. The suspension has KYB AGX's and its sitting on 20" bbs rims that are INSANELY wide. (I scrape the front bumper fkn everywhere) It has an apex control (that I have not a clue how to mess with) and boost, oil pressure, and exhaust temp gauges that do not work. Slotted rotors and possibly ceramics.

Now on to the issues I'm having:
The car pulls to the left a bit hard (we suspect warped rotors, in need of an alignment, a frozen caliper or tires rubbing)

(the tires are stretched I guess for clearance reasons?)

The car Scrapes EVERYWHERE! I SCRAPE IN PARKING LOTS THIS MUST END!

When on the highway the apex control starts beeping the graph is all the way peaked and the car lugs under boost I don't know how to describe it but if i had to take a guess maybe compressor surge?...
Idk but the boost is absolutely insane and it feels like the car is just being pushed far too hard.

I think I need to back off the boost and get tein street basis coilovers

If anyone is willing to help you'd be helping me out soooo much and possibly saving another 2g from a sad end.

Thank you,

Chris

Here are some photos of what I'm working with.
I can tell it's a great car that was worked on with love and just needs a little more attention.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Try doing a cylinder drop test. Start the car and one by one pull the injector clip off of each cylinders injector and record the amount of RPM the motor looses on each one. Put it back on and go to the next cylinder and repeat. You will be able to "see" if one or more injectors are equal or not. The injector clips can be a real pain though. I replaced all of mine with injector clips that have a push tab instead of our crazy little metal clips that give everyone fits.

just finished getting most of the way through a fuel pump install (255) turns out there was already 1 in so that means im running lean for unknown reasons. Now tomorrow I have to get the return line hose back on as I gave up due to not being able to get it off or back on now. never struggled with a car this much before getting a dsm...i guess now i have to get injectors....

Hey everyone, I think I have rod knock which means a rebuild is in order. Would anyone be able to recommend a reputable shop in the eastern PA area that would be able to do a proper rebuild? Thanks in advanced for any help.

So I found a guy that goes by Rob Fig and he seems like the guy to go to in my area. Everyone loves him and most of his work is DSM. I can tell he really loves them and wants to see them taken care of. Hope to be up in running for cars and coffee this year. Long road ahead but ill keep ya posted. Check out my insta if you wanna see more. @lifesabishi

The bad: Luna most likely won't see road till mid-January at best. The good: can you say 6bolt?, Forged everything, lightweight flywheel, and a balance shaft removal.

Ctsv calipers are brembos. So is your question evo brembos vs ctsv brembos?

I believe the ctsv calipers are somewhat of a bolt on affair to the stock DSM knuckles (some machining to the mounting tabs is needed). Where the evo brembos require a bracket or galant knuckles from over seas.

Plenty of reading here:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/cts-v-brake-caliper-swap-brembo.347243/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-cts-v-big-brake-kit-on-13-rotor-for-less-than-600.505692/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-8-10-brembo-calipers-dsm-conversion-for-1g-too.364435/

Last edited:
Hey, guys, I'm in need of ECM link v3 pretty bad and if anyone is feeling really damn generous and has one laying around that they've been waiting for a good reason to let go of at a good price. PLEASE feel free to drop me a line...I'm hoping I can pull off actually having this thing run right.

Is there a 2g vr4 2 pot rear caliper upgrade kit I'm missing somewhere or do I need to assemble the parts myself ? I'm asking because after researching I'm still not 100% sure of everything I need. As far as the forums I read stated I needed the calipers, pads, trim the dust sheild, and possibly shave things/space things(not a clue how to go about that safely. do I need special washers that can handle more stress?)...I also saw a case of even getting rear vr4 rotors so all pad space was used (something I'd like to do because why not?) Really i dont need my hand held. If there's a guide that can properly inform me with clear instructions that I missed please feel free to call me an idiot while you post the link.

Would anyone be able to recommend something to bring my alignment back in order? I was going to go with Megan racing camber arms (seen here http://www.andysautosport.com/products/megan_racing__mrs-mt-0810.html ) but the are on back order for a month and my tires are wasting away. if these are worth waiting for please let me know.. or if you can recommend something AND WHY it would be a better alternative, id love to hear anything you have to say. heres a photo so we you guys can know what I know. Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

• 20170519_162031.jpg
    20170519_162031.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 34
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back