The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G "Honestly I have no clue what I even have" a cry for help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B00stAddictedGsx

Proven Member
Oct 10, 2016
bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! I come to you from my living room window looking out at my new (to me) 97 2g with a rocket bunny kit on it. I'm new to these cars and worse I pretty much know nothing about it. If you're wondering why I bought it. The answer would be that it was purchased at a steal and the seller was a nice guy as well as really helpful.

So before I start let me state that I have spent the last 3 weeks lurking around this website reading all the "newbie stuff" so I won't be asking what's the first mod I should do without first doing proper maintenance.

ok now that that's out of the way here's what I know has been done already. The eclipse is a 97 with 111k on it the timing, and clutch (possibly stage 2?) was done not too long ago. It has a 16g turbo, GReddy intercooler as well as BOV. The manual boost controller is currently set at 20 lbs and the turbo back exhaust sounds great. The suspension has KYB AGX's and its sitting on 20" bbs rims that are INSANELY wide. (I scrape the front bumper fkn everywhere) It has an apex control (that I have not a clue how to mess with) and boost, oil pressure, and exhaust temp gauges that do not work. Slotted rotors and possibly ceramics.

Now on to the issues I'm having:
The car pulls to the left a bit hard (we suspect warped rotors, in need of an alignment, a frozen caliper or tires rubbing)

(the tires are stretched I guess for clearance reasons?)

The car Scrapes EVERYWHERE! I SCRAPE IN PARKING LOTS THIS MUST END!

When on the highway the apex control starts beeping the graph is all the way peaked and the car lugs under boost I don't know how to describe it but if i had to take a guess maybe compressor surge?...
Idk but the boost is absolutely insane and it feels like the car is just being pushed far too hard.

I think I need to back off the boost and get tein street basis coilovers

If anyone is willing to help you'd be helping me out soooo much and possibly saving another 2g from a sad end.

Thank you,

Chris

Here are some photos of what I'm working with.
I can tell it's a great car that was worked on with love and just needs a little more attention.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just drove the car 160 miles and the sensors are still stuck so I think I have an ecu that gets stuck

That's very doubtful, ecu's don't just get "stuck" there has to be something affecting the circuit. Like others have said, you need to make sure all of the original systems are in place and wired up. With the level of modification to your car, it is most likely a sensor or something of that nature that a previous owner removed keeping the monitors from resetting.

Ok so let's say ecmlink would solve my issues....I'd still need to convince someone to lend me an almost $600 part for a day so I can pass emissions....

I don't know ANYONE that nice. and buying it is out of my range of ability. college student= severe lack of funds

Yes ECMLink will solve your problems as you can turn off CEL and emmissions. That is what most people would do as you will be wanting tuning capability at some point in the future. You have the somewhat cheaper option of a black box ecu and tactrix tuning cable for the same emissions capability but it will still be $300 to get all that you need.

Since you are on a limited budget I would first find out which exact monitor is not resetting. There are several and if you can find out the exact one then it will narrow down your search.

Ok so let's say ecmlink would solve my issues....I'd still need to convince someone to lend me an almost $600 part for a day so I can pass emissions....

I don't know ANYONE that nice. and buying it is out of my range of ability. college student= severe lack of funds

I would be happy to keep your car in my garage for you until you have the money to actually get something out of it. You gotta pay to play. That is why after I sold my first 2g when i was 17, i waited to get back into DSMs till i could afford it.

I actually managed to get an inspection and get the tickets resolved. Cars on stands and Now I just need to obtain tires, get the bov recirculated (need an adaptor to fit a Greddy type rs), and get a fuel pump in (walborro 255), and fuel filter replacement. Once those have been fixed my car will at least be usable as a dd until I can get dsmlink, and a tune in January.

If you add a big pump like the 255, you are going to need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Just putting that out there. I think that pump will overrun your stock regulator. I didn't see an adjustable one in your profile.

He's not even getting a tune yet so he won't notice the overrun. I use a 255 on the stock regulator since I can't use an adjustable one in California due to smog. To me this whole overrun thing gets blown way out of proportion and is just repeated by everyone. I have never noticed any ill effects from it. Car still idles fine. And I pass smog with that setup so I know it's not running too rich at idle. Only thing that even showed overrun was happening was that the fuel trims pulled a little more fuel at idle

I'll get the afpr before I get the tune I'm thinking of a fuel labs one. can I get a recommendation? just so you guys know I'm only looking to make 400 with the car as reliable is something I want to still have in the vocabulary

Its running lean because your still running MAF and your unrecirculated BOV is open under vacuum at idle. First thing you should do before anything else is hook that BOV back up to the intake tube. It will solve many of your drivability problems

I just finished swapping my fuel filter as the old one had never been changed I suspect. tomorrow I'll try to find pool hose or something that will fit both ends so I can get it recirculating.

So the cars back on the road with new rubber! I still need to get recirculation done in addition to a new fuel pump. however I'm all out of funds. so if anyone wants some Ksport rear coilovers with adjustable ride hight and dampening (they have less than 200 miles on them) for the price of a fuel pump or has a pump they'd be willing to trade for them shoot me a message!

I have a decent amount of oem parts for the gsx. I have the same year as you. Not sure if you need any oem parts or anything but I'd be glad to help a fellow dsmer out. Let me know if there's anything you need and maybe I can send it to you if I have it.
When I first got into the dsms a fellow member sent me windshield wiper nozels that I needed and thought it was the nicest thing. So I'd be happy to pass on the niceness if I can help.

Attachments

• 1479051430570-1905089021.jpg
    1479051430570-1905089021.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 1479051680078-1625661993.jpg
    1479051680078-1625661993.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 94
Hey, guys, someone recommended a seafoam treatment to me the other day and before I do anything I differ to the true 4g63 guys here. so thoughts? yes? no? HELL NAW? sure why not? Please provide a reason for whatever answer you give so all arguments can be weighed. I'm just nervous about destroying my car by doing something stupid when it's so easy to ask here. Thank you for the time in advanced.

Seafoam would be a try at cleaning the fuel system/injectors if put into the gas tank and does a decent job. If fed through a vacuum line to the motor it would be trying to clean carbon off of the valves and pistons, but you can achieve the same thing with water (yes water) introduced through a vacuum line which steam cleans the valves and piston tops. You wouldn't want the engine to die but would lug it down with the stuff then quit putting it in and free rev the engine to clean out all of the carbon, then repeat until it is gone (or with water, just use a pop bottle or such and never let it die. Its an OLD mechanic trick but don't hydro lock your engine which is why you don't let it die). Do you have injector problems that would lead someone to suggest using it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back