The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G "Honestly I have no clue what I even have" a cry for help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B00stAddictedGsx

Proven Member
Oct 10, 2016
bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! I come to you from my living room window looking out at my new (to me) 97 2g with a rocket bunny kit on it. I'm new to these cars and worse I pretty much know nothing about it. If you're wondering why I bought it. The answer would be that it was purchased at a steal and the seller was a nice guy as well as really helpful.

So before I start let me state that I have spent the last 3 weeks lurking around this website reading all the "newbie stuff" so I won't be asking what's the first mod I should do without first doing proper maintenance.

ok now that that's out of the way here's what I know has been done already. The eclipse is a 97 with 111k on it the timing, and clutch (possibly stage 2?) was done not too long ago. It has a 16g turbo, GReddy intercooler as well as BOV. The manual boost controller is currently set at 20 lbs and the turbo back exhaust sounds great. The suspension has KYB AGX's and its sitting on 20" bbs rims that are INSANELY wide. (I scrape the front bumper fkn everywhere) It has an apex control (that I have not a clue how to mess with) and boost, oil pressure, and exhaust temp gauges that do not work. Slotted rotors and possibly ceramics.

Now on to the issues I'm having:
The car pulls to the left a bit hard (we suspect warped rotors, in need of an alignment, a frozen caliper or tires rubbing)

(the tires are stretched I guess for clearance reasons?)

The car Scrapes EVERYWHERE! I SCRAPE IN PARKING LOTS THIS MUST END!

When on the highway the apex control starts beeping the graph is all the way peaked and the car lugs under boost I don't know how to describe it but if i had to take a guess maybe compressor surge?...
Idk but the boost is absolutely insane and it feels like the car is just being pushed far too hard.

I think I need to back off the boost and get tein street basis coilovers

If anyone is willing to help you'd be helping me out soooo much and possibly saving another 2g from a sad end.

Thank you,

Chris

Here are some photos of what I'm working with.
I can tell it's a great car that was worked on with love and just needs a little more attention.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Couple things I see. Bov needs to be recirculated with the stock mas setup. You also need a air filter before the mas. Also the way the boost controller is hooked up is wrong. Supposed to be off the compressor Cover or ic pipe not intake mani. With no fuel mods or way to tune you can't push 20psi with out issues (fuel cut). You need to back the boost down to 14-15psi till you have proper mods to handle higher boost. So is the car on stock suspension still?

All I know is it has kyb agx's suspension wise... I hope to know more when I jack it up tomorrow. as for the boost I lowered it 2 turns and it feels way better but that's not percise as I have no idea what the actual values are..

Sounds like you have an apexi SAFC, when you say apex, so there is small adjustments that can be made, but we have no idea if any fuel mods have been done such as pump and injectors, at which point you would have to look into that more to find out. The car looks really nice though, I'd definately change the wheels, thats probably where the rubbing is coming from. 20's are crazy, try a nice 18 or even 17 like stock. If you are curious stock 2g wheels are about 17x6.5 but your fender flares will look funny with stock wheel width

Boost controller looks like it's hooked to the BOV line, not the intake, but even the intake isnt really bad... It's just the last place in the system to see pressure. Not that it really matters either way, it pressureises really quick. Definately recirc the bov into that capped off spot on your intake. And get a filter on there!

Congrats on the new buy! And welcome to tuners, and your most expensive and addicting hobby!:thumb:

Last edited:
Good looking car. Doesnt look like a real greddy intercooler. Get some 18x9.5 wheels with a +15 offset and you'll probably rub less and still fill the flares for the most part. It will help if you raise the car a bit too.

Thank you all so much for the info and please keep it coming. I use her as a dd to get to class as I'm a student but I love this car and any changes to be better it's going to get.

When you say the car pulls to the left, is that under braking or acceleration? Get a boost gauge and a wideband O2 then you should be able to dial it in a little better.

Couple things I see. Bov needs to be recirculated with the stock mas setup. You also need a air filter before the mas. Also the way the boost controller is hooked up is wrong. Supposed to be off the compressor Cover or ic pipe not intake mani. With no fuel mods or way to tune you can't push 20psi with out issues (fuel cut). You need to back the boost down to 14-15psi till you have proper mods to handle higher boost. So is the car on stock suspension still?

Like @Dsmkauai said get your fuel mods
Along with wb02 and boost gauge then you can start dialing her in.

You need to find out what injectors you have and what/if you have a fuel pump. Most modded cars these days have an aftermarket fuel pump. Like people said before, recirculate your bov to the intake pipe because otherwise the computer/maf get's confused and you'll get that bucking every time you shift. The bov swoosh wont sound as cool because it's recirculated but the car will run better. FYI, people take that hose off because of the better sound and no other reason.

Also, befriend some local dsmers on the local facebook group and maybe they can direct to honest sellers in the area and generally help with questions and such. Don't cheap out or cut corners on these cars or you will pay dearly. Welcome.

1. Look at everything the car has aftermarket. Make a list and make sure you're correct and thorough. It is a little difficult to tell what a car has based on just looking at pictures. You could also get a hold of the last owner and get a list from him. This will help you pin point issues and upgrade course to get the car into tip top shape. There's valuable information here that has probable been beat up to death that with the correct parts/wordings you'll be able to figure out by yourself. Knowing what combination you have is key for a less painful experience.

2. I'd suggest going back to stock'ish boost levels until you figure out how to work with the current mods. It is highly probable they're not adequate nor safe in relation to pump/injectors/gasket, etc.

3. If it's a SAFC you should really think about just getting DSM Link or ECUFlash. SAFC is a pretty prehistoric way of tuning a car and it will always have some kids of drivebility issues since it's spoofing signals to add more fuel. It's so easy and affordable these days to go with either of the options mentioned, an SAFC makes absolutely no sense. ECUFlash costs like $80 for the ECU, $40 CAS, $40 harness adapter if needed, Ceddy Mods are free, $180 for a Tactrix, 30 minutes to install.

4. I saw that "rocket bunny" build. Unfortunately people sacrifice driveability for "stance" which makes for a crappy riding experience. Look into getting the car into a lift and with some blocks and patience compress the suspension, rotate the wheels and see exactly where there are rubbing issues. Think about getting slightly shorter spacers (if it has any) and verify the corners of the wheel wells for full lock rubbing issues.

Hope you get everything sorted out quickly and you can enjoy your DSM. Good luck!

I actually saw you towing this down the highway, (I'm assuming on your way home from buying it). Was merging onto 81 and there it was right in front of me. Very clean, best of luck with it.

Im not trying to thread jack, i still need the 30 posts, but im in the same boat with buying a modified 2g without any backround on dsm's. And was looking for some advice on what all i have.

I know it has a 6 bolt, an eprom ecmlink chipped ecu, a a/f gauge, boost gauge, what looks like a fpr, a gt35 turbo (from the the po said it looks like a china turbo housing to me), fmic with aftermarket charge piping, a greddy boost controller still wiring up but no vacuum lines were ran to it, but to a manual boost controller, aftermarket tial bov and wg and a lot i mean a lot of shit wiring and cut wires and unplugged connections. The engine has no compression in the 3rd cylinder and a bad oil leak from the timing cover. The car still started when i bought it but smoked out the exhaust and out of the breather they put on the pcv. The po bought the car at an auction and didnt do any of the mods. I was looking for advice on a rebuild and how to identity the cams, pistons, rods, and crank

Unfortunately if the previous owner cut those fenders then you're going to have to ride a wide wheel setup possibly with spacers. Take one of the wheels off and identify the width and offset. It looks like the rear is sticking out more than the front so it probably has a wider spacer on the back. Coilovers are a very good idea at this point. These are a good option: http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=20863&cat=0&page=1 but they have others on that site as well.

2nd thing you can take off that side skirt below a side skirt thing. It'd probably look way better and enables you to fit a jack under that thing.

Hey everyone just woke up no class today so my goals are get the boost gage working. Fix the way the boost controller is connected (hope I understand how that works) and since I discovered yesterday that it has kyb agx coilovers that are adjustable I have to raise the back as I only got the front done. If all that's done I'll be completely rewiring the audio system. B4 that I need to obtain some parts (air filter that's not $150?) So I'll be driving the car after I lower the boost another 2 turns (whatever the shit that means....)

Again thank you to everyone who's given some of their time to impart even the smallest pieces of wisdom. I'll check back bi-hourly. (Between all the work and stuff)

Im pretty sure that you don't have KYB AGX coilovers. KYB is usually a Strut and spring combo. The adjustment knob can be used to change rebound but it wont raise the car up and down.
post a pic of your suspension front and back with the wheels off.

I got one of these:

Injen Technology X-1018-BB 4.5" AMSOIL Ea Nano-Fiber Black and Blue Air Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NF2VYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KJUayb6234TM8

If you have Prime you get free two day shipping too. Great price and fantastic filtering. And it doesn't need oil, all you have to do is blow it out with an air compressor.

You might need an adapter too, depending on the size filter you get.

This is the adapter I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371199072727

Like $65 for a phenomenal filtering setup.

Sorry everyone got stuck helping my father swap a trans. Okay so I'm totally lost on the wiring for this boost gauge so I'm going to post a pics of that along with the suspension as I know that was requested.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1476630656078-1087848945.jpg
    1476630656078-1087848945.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20161016_110803.jpg
    20161016_110803.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20161016_110756.jpg
    20161016_110756.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1476630877555193760561.jpg
    1476630877555193760561.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 122
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back