The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like GORBS88 mentioned that exact turbo on my evo made 521 WHP, but that was maxed out, I couldn't squeeze anything else out of that housing. If you want to exercise that turbo to its full potential you need to stick it in the new BEP .70 A/R T3 housing, add about 10 more PSI and I would expect some 625+ WHP results.

I am most certainly NOT calling out your particular tuning skills or anything similar. It is just very interesting that a BEP housing hx35 can be pushed to 500whp. . .Dent Sport Garage

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hasn't another guy rolled out quite a bit more hp with a hx40 pro in a bep housing?

Edit: I found it . . . :) hx-40 pro: 600whp at 28 psi. BEP test units. 2.0L displacement, bolt-ons (bolt-ons to me are: cams, smim, fmic, exhaust).

Gotta agree there, when Carl made 516whp, the timing was ridiculously low. As we've indicated in the past, the car was just on the dyno for a baseline tune on the AEM and if we hadn't run out of time we would've played with boost, fuel, and timing and made much more power.

The next time at the track, the car went 11.0 @ 128 on the dyno tune, then we raised timing through the curve like 5-6 degrees, and the car spun violently through 1st-3rd on drag radials and still ran like 11.3 @ 121 missing 4th. Carl noticed a substantial amount of power gain, but as usual that was the last pass of the day and the last weekend the track was opened for the season. Then he did the S366 swap over the winter.

I'm confident the car would've seen 134-136mph traps on a clean pass as it sat, which should translate to high 500s at the wheels easily on a full weight 1G.

I am most certainly NOT calling out your particular tuning skills or anything similar. It is just very interesting that a BEP housing hx35 can be pushed to 500whp. . .Dent Sport Garage

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hasn't another guy rolled out quite a bit more hp with a hx40 pro in a bep housing?

Edit: I found it . . . :) hx-40 pro: 600whp at 28 psi. BEP test units. 2.0L displacement, bolt-ons (bolt-ons to me are: cams, smim, fmic, exhaust).

I am not sure what you mean by questioning my tuning skills but I am not sure what the HX-35 can max out at as I haven't personally ran or tuned one. But I was talking about, an HX-40, which I have PERSONAL experience with. At the time I couldn't get any worthwhile results in turning up the boost any further... But I was on a piggyback ecu and the internal gate at the time. If I had the AEM and an external gate, I may have been able to break 600 in the BEP housing, but that is speculation of course. What is important to understand is that you will be able to make more power in a turbine housing that is a bit larger at that power level. I feel that at 500 WHP and below the BEP housing offers great response and simple installation, above that a T3 set up makes more sense.

I am not sure what you mean by questioning my tuning skills but I am not sure what the HX-35 can max out at as I haven't personally ran or tuned one. But I was talking about, an HX-40, which I have PERSONAL experience with. At the time I couldn't get any worthwhile results in turning up the boost any further... But I was on a piggyback ecu and the internal gate at the time. If I had the AEM and an external gate, I may have been able to break 600 in the BEP housing, but that is speculation of course. What is important to understand is that you will be able to make more power in a turbine housing that is a bit larger at that power level. I feel that at 500 WHP and below the BEP housing offers great response and simple installation, above that a T3 set up makes more sense.

I'm not questioning your tuning skills at all. That is why I found it interesting. You obviously know what you are doing (500+ whp using safc!!!). I was just wondering if you had any other issues, as I saw better results elsewere. That's all.

And ABSOLUTELY, a well matched turbine housing is crutial to a turbine's flow.

I'm not questioning your tuning skills at all. That is why I found it interesting. You obviously know what you are doing (500+ whp using safc!!!). I was just wondering if you had any other issues, as I saw better results elsewere. That's all.

And ABSOLUTELY, a well matched turbine housing is crutial to a turbine's flow.

You keep making a lot of assumptions, I never said I used an SAFC? I had an ECU+ and a ECM flash.

Just got my H1C today. . . The smaller turbo is my T-bird TC garrett t3 60-trim, which flows about as much air as a 14b. I think it is a better comparison than my small16g (MHI loves those SMALL compressor covers and turbine housings).

Attachments

• H1C vs. T3 60-trim.JPG
    H1C vs. T3 60-trim.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,421
  • Compressor wheel compare.JPG
    Compressor wheel compare.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,971
Very nice you have a large turbo there. How are you hanging it on the car? Dose the compressor cover touch the water pipe?

This has the exact same compressor housing shape as an hx35. I will be using a bep housing. So I will have to dent or mod the waterpipe.

The h1c flows less than the '98 and newer hx35. But the hx35 looks like a monster too :) . Not many here have used this turbo, so I anted up.

My h1c will not clear the water pipe. The compressor housing outside diameter is 8" across, not including the outlet. I dial calipered my compressor inducer and it's 54mm. The turbine wheel measures identical to the hx35 turbine wheel. That t3 Garrett in the picture is MUCH bigger in overall dimensions than my 16g. Though it flows drastically less.

Ok I just grew a hair in the wrong direction and bought a WH1E off ebay:coy:. . . I really want to get the dimensions of the H1 series holsets. . . And maybe compare them to some of the early hx series stuff. The H1E will bolt on the hx40 bep housing. . . But I think I'll cut a 12 or 14 cm^2 holset housing if I run this baby. . .

The BEP bolt on housings are basically all gone. A few other vendors may or may not have a few sitting around, but BEP themselves have no more .55 housings left. There is one or two .70 ar v band housings. So if you guys need one of the .70 T3 housings give me a buzz.

The BEP bolt on housings are basically all gone. A few other vendors may or may not have a few sitting around, but BEP themselves have no more .55 housings left. There is one or two .70 ar v band housings. So if you guys need one of the .70 T3 housings give me a buzz.

The .55 bolt on, is what BEP came out with initially. I haven't followed these threads as closely as I should since BEP told me they wouldn't produce the housing for the 2003-newer HY-35 (or HE351). Basically, 4-5 years ago, when they first started to produce them, I contacted them and lent them my turbo for about 4 months so they could get one made. I was to get the first prototype. So, I'm curious about you 2nd to last sentance. What is the .7 vband housing? 2003-later turbos are vband, thus the reason one I wanted one. Given it's T3, it's obviously not a bolt on, but what turbo does it fit? As far as I knew, there was only vband housing for the MHI turbos, nothing bigger. Does the housing you speak of fit the HE351?

Again, anyone recall what is the AR of the HY's?

The hy35 sports a 9cm^2 turbine housing and a much smaller turbine wheel than the hx35. The .70 a/r housing looks very appealing! The bep housing yields superfast spool. But so many feal that it chokes the larger turbines. Though one of the favorite hotsides on this forum is the famed t3 stage3 with a bep housing. The hx35 is a hair bigger. What's the difference? one blade more but a larger exit diameter.

I find it had to believe that BEP won't throw one of their housing cores on the machine and sell you housing if you ask. So many shops will take say an hx35 12cm^2 housing and cut it for an hx40. Maybe their Borg-Warner sales are so high that they just don't care :) .

The hy35 sports a 9cm^2 turbine housing and a much smaller turbine wheel than the hx35. The .70 a/r housing looks very appealing! The bep housing yields superfast spool. But so many feal that it chokes the larger turbines. Though one of the favorite hotsides on this forum is the famed t3 stage3 with a bep housing. The hx35 is a hair bigger. What's the difference? one blade more but a larger exit diameter.

I find it had to believe that BEP won't throw one of their housing cores on the machine and sell you housing if you ask. So many shops will take say an hx35 12cm^2 housing and cut it for an hx40. Maybe their Borg-Warner sales are so high that they just don't care :) .

I don't think they will throw away the tooling for it, but these housings must not have been selling to make it worth their while. So if there was enough demand for the product I am sure they would machine more. But their BW turbos are doing very well so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to machine any more Holset housings.

I asked and they said no at the time. I agree, you'd think it'd be rather simple. Afterall, they have the specs setting there. They already machine for a v-band for the MHI stuff. The only code they'd have to change is that for a v-band flange instead of the 4 bolt flat flange. Internal changes are not needed.

I can't really have anyone other than them do it, because the base casting is needed. I guess I could go the route of having a v band ring machined and welded to one. But I'm kinda leary of that.

For me, I was at one time, totally gun ho for this mod. I've got 4-5 late model HY's I picked up to put on my various cars with the intent that I'd only have to purchase a $200 housing for each. Now, I'm left having to buy an expensive T3 manifold and bunch of tubing to weld an exhaust that mates to the turbo. Far from bolt on. Kinda killed it for me. Fabrication is cool, if you have the time. At this point of my life, I don't and have better things to buy than $500-$800 manifolds. Maybe at some point, I'll be back in the game, until then my Hy's, injectors, fuel pump and AEM setup will set on the shelf.

Bottom line, your last sentance is the truth. They came in, made their money and moved on. Sad in many regards, becuase I think you can attribut the boom of the use of these turbos to the dsm crowd and namely these threads. Yet, the people that made them, don't mean much now. :(

I asked and they said no at the time. I agree, you'd think it'd be rather simple. Afterall, they have the specs setting there. They already machine for a v-band for the MHI stuff. The only code they'd have to change is that for a v-band flange instead of the 4 bolt flat flange. Internal changes are not needed.

I can't really have anyone other than them do it, because the base casting is needed. I guess I could go the route of having a v band ring machined and welded to one. But I'm kinda leary of that.

For me, I was at one time, totally gun ho for this mod. I've got 4-5 late model HY's I picked up to put on my various cars with the intent that I'd only have to purchase a $200 housing for each. Now, I'm left having to buy an expensive T3 manifold and bunch of tubing to weld an exhaust that mates to the turbo. Far from bolt on. Kinda killed it for me. Fabrication is cool, if you have the time. At this point of my life, I don't and have better things to buy than $500-$800 manifolds. Maybe at some point, I'll be back in the game, until then my Hy's, injectors, fuel pump and AEM setup will set on the shelf.

Bottom line, your last sentance is the truth. They came in, made their money and moved on. Sad in many regards, becuase I think you can attribut the boom of the use of these turbos to the dsm crowd and namely these threads. Yet, the people that made them, don't mean much now. :(

The HX40pro I just bought,the seller custom machined a 14cm bolt on hsing to fit on the turbine side of my HX40 pro so perhaps he could have a housing done for you if you have one that needs to be machined. Let me know and I'll ask.

I've read through most of the threads and didn't see anything, so I'm going to ask: has anyone run an 8-blade HX35 with the stock Holset divided T3 housing? I'll be running this setup soon, the car runs now but I need to finish the exhaust up, just curious if anyone already has any results.

PS - long time no see to a lot of you, my car has been down for a while due to a friend crashing it, nothing serious, but I've thrown on some other goodies since then.

Is the Hx40pro more comparable to a BW S258 or like an S300 series.

I have decided that I would really like a BEP HX40pro or BEP S258 for my next setup, obviously with the Holset being cheaper but the BW spooling faster and being more effecient at 20-25psi, I imagine.

I've read through most of the threads and didn't see anything, so I'm going to ask: has anyone run an 8-blade HX35 with the stock Holset divided T3 housing? I'll be running this setup soon, the car runs now but I need to finish the exhaust up, just curious if anyone already has any results.

PS - long time no see to a lot of you, my car has been down for a while due to a friend crashing it, nothing serious, but I've thrown on some other goodies since then.

I have the 8 blade but its hooked up with a Bullseye DSM housing.

Any dyno data/DSMlink logs/track times? :)

i just got it up and running yesterday, with a pretty poor tune on dsmlink running around 11:1 afr on 14psi dsmlink recorded something like 300hp and 290ish torque, spool time is lame because the exhaust flapper on the internal gate i didnt weld so it leaks threw it, so spool time is around 4500 rpm

stock motor, stock cams...you can read my profile for mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back