The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for the noob question, and I did search through all three pages worth of information.

But, for my next turbo setup down the road, what would be the best combo for a street car as far as HX35 vs 40pro vs. # of blades and wheel differences?

It would be a daily driver, ran on pump gas for 90% of the time, 20-25psi for the most part. I would be interested in the Bolt on housing but also interested in hearing about the benefits of a T3. I will run it on a Stock rebuilt 6 bolt with ARP's and FP1/2 cams.

Just letting you know, I already run a PTE 50trim at the moment, so after I am bored with this setup I will be looking for an upgrade. 400whp pump gas capabilities maybe?

I'm sorry for the noob question, and I did search through all three pages worth of information.

But, for my next turbo setup down the road, what would be the best combo for a street car as far as HX35 vs 40pro vs. # of blades and wheel differences?

It would be a daily driver, ran on pump gas for 90% of the time, 20-25psi for the most part. I would be interested in the Bolt on housing but also interested in hearing about the benefits of a T3. I will run it on a Stock rebuilt 6 bolt with ARP's and FP1/2 cams.

Just letting you know, I already run a PTE 50trim at the moment, so after I am bored with this setup I will be looking for an upgrade. 400whp pump gas capabilities maybe?
HX35 or the hybrid HX40/35 I have for sale would be more street friendly.

6 blades = best
7 blades= better
8blades=good

when it comes to flow.

I believe you can only get the 6 bladed compressor wheel on the HX hybrid 40/35 and the HX40 pro as well as the 7 and 8 blade wheels. Don't think the 6 blade wheels are made for straight HX35's.

Not to bust your chops but If you searched like you said you did you would have found all this there.:)

Who has the replacement cartridges? That's good to know and for how much?

Bullsye did when they carried HX40s, not sure if they still stock em but I'd imagine they can get them. I can check with carl and see if he can get one.

As another data point, a friend recently got the last Pro40 that Bullseye had left, threw it on with HKS 272s and a Tial 38mm on the o2 housing, bone stock 6 bolt, full weight, and ran 11.7 @ 123 on pump/meth at 28psi spinning halfway down the track. He's experiencing similar spool to what we saw on Carl's setup, full boost around 4k.

Bullsye did when they carried HX40s, not sure if they still stock em but I'd imagine they can get them. I can check with carl and see if he can get one.

As another data point, a friend recently got the last Pro40 that Bullseye had left, threw it on with HKS 272s and a Tial 38mm on the o2 housing, bone stock 6 bolt, full weight, and ran 11.7 @ 123 on pump/meth at 28psi spinning halfway down the track. He's experiencing similar spool to what we saw on Carl's setup, full boost around 4k.

Hmm, although the trap is impressive for pump gas, I would've thought 28lbs on a giant turbo like that would do better than 11.70's, considering I would be looking at the HX35 as a low 11 second turbo.

Also, it looks like they are a bit more expensive than I thought they were. The few vendors I saw selling the Bolt on Holsets were asking ~ $1000-1200+ for the 35's and 40's.

The HX-52 was and is used on the volvo trucks. There was one on ebay a few months ago for $700. It was rebuilt and looked to be in top condition. If I can find it I'll post the link. Also if I'm not mistaken the HX-52 has a T6 hot side. Does anyone have any info on the HX-52?
On a very good note finances are looking good to get my HX52 build done this spring. I have another $4K in parts I need to source, but it's looking very promising right now. And I definitely will have some 1/4 times for mine as long as I can find someone around here to build me a cage.

I kinda figured that his trap speed would have been higher as well. What were his mods?

Seems like your car with the S256 does better.

I kinda figured that his trap peed would have been higher as well. What were his mods?

Seems like your car with the S256 does better.

As I said, he was spinning through 1st-3rd, which will greatly affect ET and MPH. He has 950s, 255, FPR, DSMlink, 2G MAF, 2900, 3", 272s, and the HX40/38mm/2G mani. He's also on 17s. With 123mph, the car easily has low 11s in it as it sits with a cleaner pass. My S256 ran a best of 11.9 @ 119 with nearly identical supporting mods. If you're talking about my current S258, that's a T3 hotside. He's just as fast (both of us in less than ideal conditions) and he's spooling much faster with the bolt-on housing, which makes for a much more fun feel on the street.

If I cannot get the Holset HX40 pro form Bullseye anymore,would the FP3052 or FP3065 be a viable option? Or are the Borg Warner options better?
Don't really wanna go BB but I see good #'s with these turbo's flow wise and track wise. In the 50 to 60lb per sq in neighborhood.

I was really counting on getting an HX40pro but this clown from Ebay lied to me and sold me a dud. I'm going back to buying new.

NET S362 vs FP3065 vs HX40pro how would you rate them Steve? I'll also pm you 4 sure!:thumb:

Bearing in mind that all 3 will be choked by using the bolt-on housing, I'd say the compressor flow would be 362>35r>HX40. The 3065 uses a 30r hotside to help it spool faster, which is significantly smaller than the others. The closer comparison would be the FP3565, which is a true 35r in the FP bolt-on housing.

My personal opinion with the FP bolt-ons is that they defeat the whole point of a bolt-on, which is to save money. A 3065 setup with v-band gate, their custom o2 housing, oil filter, lines, and everything is well over $2k. For that money you could do a T3 setup and make more power.

Bearing in mind that all 3 will be choked by using the bolt-on housing, I'd say the compressor flow would be 362>35r>HX40. The 3065 uses a 30r hotside to help it spool faster, which is significantly smaller than the others. The closer comparison would be the FP3565, which is a true 35r in the FP bolt-on housing.

My personal opinion with the FP bolt-ons is that they defeat the whole point of a bolt-on, which is to save money. A 3065 setup with v-band gate, their custom o2 housing, oil filter, lines, and everything is well over $2k. For that money you could do a T3 setup and make more power.
Yes I felt that this setup (FP3065,52)was quite expensive and worked. I saw quite a few 11 and 10 sec times using these turbs with great mph in the 1/4mile.
However ,the economics won't make sense if the same hp can be made in a less complicated way with the three turbos mentioned,namingly the S362. Just as long as you don't feel I have to chg my int mani for now I'd highly consider that turbo perhaps over the HX40xpro.

I just wish I had someone to take this New never used HX40/35 hybrid I bought from GREperformance.
:thumb:

I'll assume you're talking about the BEH?If it were on all three?

No, i'm talking about ANY bolt-on housing. FP will openly tell you that you're leaving alot of power on the table with even their bolt-on housing. The BEP housing is really no more of a restriction to power than an FP or other bolt-on housing. If you want the most power for your money, go T3 and be done with it. After owning the S256 bolt-on and the S258 T3, there is no comparison. I wish I'd done it a long time ago.

No, i'm talking about ANY bolt-on housing. FP will openly tell you that you're leaving alot of power on the table with even their bolt-on housing. The BEP housing is really no more of a restriction to power than an FP or other bolt-on housing. If you want the most power for your money, go T3 and be done with it. After owning the S256 bolt-on and the S258 T3, there is no comparison. I wish I'd done it a long time ago.
You mean go T3 divided A/R 70 I take it? If so I'm willing to give it a try as per PM:thumb:

In what order of flow and efficiency do we rate these turbos with the BEPhsing,would this be it?:

HX40 > HX40/35 > HX35

This I believe was my understanding when I made this purchase of my hybrid.

Just curious!

CeeDawg, explain the characteristics and specs of the HX40/35 you have and how much that setup runs?
I have not put it on the car as yet so I'm not familiar with it's characteristics. Ask Joeracer123 as he's more familiar with all the things you want to know about it.

The hybrid HX-35/40 was built for those who were looking for better spool up with more potential than the standard HX-35. But the HX-40 works so well that I am not sure if the few hundred RPM spool loss of the HX-40 wheel is worth the trade off of the spool. The larger HX-40 turbine has greater flow potential so I would rather lose some RPM in spool to make more top end. But don't get me wrong, if you have a hybrid, I am sure you would enjoy it as the thing is going to spool lightening fast, and have great compressor flow potential. But if I were making the decision now, and spool was not my #1 concern, I would go with the Pro-40. But I feel that these turbos are not really the way to go now. Bullseye has pretty much phased them out and unless a huge demand pops up, I don't think any more bolt on housings will be poured. The Borg Warner S series are what everyone who thinks outside the box are heading to. They spool great and make good numbers, but they are not as cheap as the Holset turbos. The S-series does offer more options and combos than the Holset's do, so you can match the turbo to the combination that you are running for better results.

The hybrid HX-35/40 was built for those who were looking for better spool up with more potential than the standard HX-35. But the HX-40 works so well that I am not sure if the few hundred RPM spool loss of the HX-40 wheel is worth the trade off of the spool. The larger HX-40 turbine has greater flow potential so I would rather lose some RPM in spool to make more top end. But don't get me wrong, if you have a hybrid, I am sure you would enjoy it as the thing is going to spool lightening fast, and have great compressor flow potential. But if I were making the decision now, and spool was not my #1 concern, I would go with the Pro-40.
Well you did tell me this at the time of purchase I have to admit.:cry:

I should have listened to you because I fully agree. However if I have to try the hybrid I certainly will,just gonna chg the turbine hsing to a T3 .70A/R divided and see what happens.
I have a feeling that this hybrid has some potential and should be better than the 60trim T3/T4 I have on the car right now.

So I can get a pretty sweet deal on a hx-35 with a mitsu-style housing on it already. Would this get me in the low 11's easily with supporting mods? How does it compare to a 50-trim or a 60-1?

Also, would 272 or 280 cams be best for this turbo? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back